2003 DL1000 Brake Issue - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By realshelby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 03-20-2019, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to hoggdoc
Question 2003 DL1000 Brake Issue

I purchased a 2003 V Strom 1000 last year. One of the first thing I did replace the rear brake pads. I serviced the caliper and verified it was in good working order. The issue is there is very little movement of the brake pedal and it takes a lot of force to create any kind of braking.

The brake does seem to work better if I build some heat in the pads. I'm wondering these are typical characteristics for this bike. My thoughts are the pads too thick and the friction materials are super hard and require heat to work.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][B]2003 Zuki V-Strom 1000[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-20-2019, 04:31 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

As far as the movement is concerned, the hydraulic brake system is self-adjusting. So regardless of the thickness of the brake pads, lever initial position and lever travel will always be the same. That is, assuming that you have the original master and slave cylinders. If somebody messed with either, then the amount of fluid the master puts out might not be balanced with the amount of fluid the slave needs, and may affect lever travel. You may want to check the part numbers on master and slave cylinders to see if they're original.

As far as brakes fading or not, there are several types of brake pads available. The same applies to the rotors. There is no ideal material for all circumstances. Some rotors only perform when dry, others also have good performance when wet. Some brake pad material works reasonably well in all circumstances, other brake pad material might need a bit of heat build-up to work effectively. Those are great for racing, not so much for street use. My thinking is that the PO thought better than Suzuki and equipped your bike with racing rotors/pads instead of a combo for street use. See if you can find manufacturer and part numbers on the pads and discs, and what type of material they're made of. That may tell you whether what you describe is normal behaviour or not.

I was going to suggest you swap everything (all rotors and pads) for OEM, but I just bought that combo for the upcoming major service, and it's near 500 dollars or so, so not something to try as part of your initial troubleshooting efforts.

(Edited to add: The brake has been properly bled, not? If the brakes feel spongy, then there may be air in the system somewhere.)

Last edited by BackPacker; 03-20-2019 at 06:15 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-20-2019, 09:27 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

All V stroms have a rather dead feel to the rear brake. Yet you might be surprised at how much braking force they are actually doing. Because they kind of cause the reverse of brake dive, when using only the rear brake, you don't get the same effect. Different pads can help, even proper bedding of the pads helps. But they are a bit vague. Practice a couple slow speed stops, even when the rear wheel locks you won't get the feel of hard braking. Not so different from other bikes, but I would say the brake pedal does require more force than I would like.
Gert likes this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]

post #4 of 4 Old 03-20-2019, 04:15 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Strom brakes are often described as "wooden"

Have you lubricated the pedal pivot point ?

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode