Rear wheel bearing removal - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 Old 03-14-2019, 08:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert View Post
A while back I came across a tip of using a large bolt that had a slot cut into the end, then wedging with a screw driver to grip the bearing, for removing wheel bearings.
If anyone want to read how to make the 2$ bolt puller, https://www.instructables.com/id/2-M...earing-Puller/
I was going to try making one of my own like this. It would be exactly like the 'real' tool. I found the Motion Pro tool on line for $8 (no shipping fee) and the local hardware wanted $6, plus change and tax, for a 20mm diameter bolt that was the same length as the tool. So I figured it was worth the few cents more to get the proper tool. The tool worked like a charm.

Gert likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 03-17-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

To follow up on my progress, I bought a long punch tool from Harbor Freight and had both bearings out in less than 5 minutes. Go figure.
The slide tool may be good for other situations but not this.
Thanks for all the responses!
realshelby, wera688 and Brockie like this.

2012 DL1000 Adventure (Tinkerbell)
PC-V, TRE, CR8EIX , ECM, K&N, RDL, PR4, PC-8, EB H4, WERKS, Madstad 22", 17/43 gearing, AdventureTech: Fork brace, shelf, mirror extenders, SpeedoDRD, wheel spacer, Head's-Up voltage monitor, Goldwing pegs, Sonic 1.1, Wolo Bad Boy, ExTuff Helmet Hook.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-17-2019, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14 View Post
Properly sized blind bearing puller inserted into the bearing and expanded to make tight using wrenches.

Lay wheel flat rotor side up on a folded towel and quickly jerk the slide hammer up with a lot of force. Like enough force to pick the wheel up. Repeat as needed. Sometimes it takes 4 or 5 pulls to dislodge and/or break the bearing loose. Once it breaks free its much easier to remove it the rest of the way.

When using a slide hammer make sure hands and fingers will not get pinched. Its best right before you go for the gold to slowly slide the hammer up the shaft to verity all fingers and or parts of hands are free and clear of pinch points
My 06 1000 had bearings literally frozen into the races, the slide hammer couldn't even budge them.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #14 of 15 Old 03-17-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
My 06 1000 had bearings literally frozen into the races, the slide hammer couldn't even budge them.
Thats what I'm talking!

I got the new bearings and seal installed in just a few minutes. I had the bearing kit in the freezer for over a week and they were cold! I used a heat gun on the wheel hub and the first bearing literally popped into place and seated without touching it. The other side needed a little more encouragement but not much.
It went so easy that I think I didn't leave any gap. Happened too fast. I'm thinking it will be ok. The spacer was centered and my axle went in fairly easy.
Spec likes this.

2012 DL1000 Adventure (Tinkerbell)
PC-V, TRE, CR8EIX , ECM, K&N, RDL, PR4, PC-8, EB H4, WERKS, Madstad 22", 17/43 gearing, AdventureTech: Fork brace, shelf, mirror extenders, SpeedoDRD, wheel spacer, Head's-Up voltage monitor, Goldwing pegs, Sonic 1.1, Wolo Bad Boy, ExTuff Helmet Hook.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-17-2019, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
It is best to turn the bearing inner race with your finger before installing the seals. If they turn freely and smoothly then all is good. If they are not, try again. If your installed wheel turns freely then all should be O.K.
hunt1moore likes this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode