front wheel not symmetrical ? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Yarz1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 03-11-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

front wheel not symmetrical ?

I always learn something when I work on my motorcycles. This I found interesting, having never known it before.... I'm sure you all knew this. But this just goes to show you that you can, in fact, teach an old dog new tricks.

My wheel bearings took longer to arrive than anticipated. My front wheel was off for a couple weeks, getting moved around the garage as it kept getting under foot. When I reinstalled it with the new bearings, I noticed that the left brake caliper went on seemingly tight. But it went on OK. Then I discovered that the right brake caliper refused to go on and line up for the bolts. It was too far to the right to get past the bolt slots on the fork tube. Hmmm, the axle and the spacer were in place fine. As I tried to figure out what the heck was going on, my eye caught sight of the direction arrow on the tire. Ooops, I had inverted the wheel and was trying to install it wrong. The wheel was essentially backwards. Once I took it out, spun it around and installed it properly, everything slid together smoothly. I never studied the front wheel in enough detail before to know it can only go on one way. I always thought the front wheels were symmetrical -- but I did always pay attention to the directional arrow, except this time. I guess Suzuki built in a safety feature for some of us sometimes distracted unattentive DIY mechanics.

Gert likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-13-2019, 08:58 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

On most bikes (like the DL650) you have a speedo drive on one side that also helps you stay oriented.

Once it's off the bike, it really is a little hard to tell which way a DL1000 front goes. Years ago, I put a teensy arrow near the center of my Vee's rotors with a paint pen.

On other bikes, I've encountered tires some idiot in a shop installed backwards a depressing number of times.

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening
post #3 of 4 Old 03-13-2019, 10:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

On my 2009 Vee it does not matter which way the front wheel is placed. Both sides are symmetrical. When the tire starts getting scallop I install it the other way.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 4 Old 03-14-2019, 01:17 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard miles View Post
On my 2009 Vee it does not matter which way the front wheel is placed. Both sides are symmetrical. When the tire starts getting scallop I install it the other way.
It's the exact same wheel on 2002-2012 Vees, so it sounds like I and a few others may have been making an incorrect assumption that the wheel needs to spin in a certain direction.

Hmmmm.... digging further, the rotors, bearings, and both seals are the same, and the spacer between the bearings is not directional (one most bikes, these parts vary side to side, so the wheel is directional).

Whether the wheel has any offset, I don't know. But from your experience, it sounds like it doesn't.

The one possibly significant issue is that brake rotors never wear evenly, so when you flip the wheel around, the brake pads will need to bed in or wear to match the rotors.

I'm wondering if brake drag explains what the OP is experiencing. Or it sounds more like the caliper slider pins are sticky, or just ended up in slightly different positions; the calipers have a significant amount of "float" side to side to accommodate wear.

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening

Last edited by bwringer; 03-14-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode