My falling experience - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 02-25-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Smile My falling experience

Hello , Troopers , we did a 1500 Miles round trip these Friday to Sunday starting from Orange County California , ending in Bay area and back, Best three days of my motorcycle riding .
on the Saturday group ride of 20+ bike while we were cutting the canyons following like Ile of man riders , To avoid rear ending a group of my fellow riders , and probably due to my lack of skill and also not having ABS and TC I could not stop the bike before rear ending and I let it fall down on right side , while I jumped from it , may be 3-5 miles speed at that time . as the result , followings are broken.
1- Water reservoir,
2- right side peg , right side brake foot lever.
3-broken front right turn signal
4-jammed Givi engine guard.
5-broken MADSAT wind shield (tallest) from ride side , a genius of motorcycle mechanic was riding in the group and fixed the bike in less than 2o minutes and group did 130 miles to lunch destination , and 600 + miles back to Orange county yesterday , except for hiccups at 2800RPM , which is noticeable since day one I bought the bike no any issues , did put up with all other bikes at any speed except cutting very sharp canyons , probably also due to lack of my skills too.
This bike is Monster .

I have spare factory made turn signal set , I have chinese clone foot pegs. I may need to replace the knuckle protector just for the look.
Give needs to be either replaced on the ride side , or bring it back like half an inch to the side.no deep damages to the GIVI.
damages to the side givi bags and top Suzuki bags are minimum.

wind screen is broken like 2 inches form very lowest right bottom and not too deep scratches on the right side form the lowest part to the middle of top , shallow but visible l, like 1- 2 inches long horizontally. 5-10 lines total. protection is unchanged.
some shallow dings , and not breaks on the right side upper fairing , gives the bike rough look and absolutely I am not removing it.
Question ,
What your suggestion is for Givi resurrections?
just to bring it laterally one inch.
how can I clean the wind shield from scratches?
is there a way to bring the foot brake pedal a little to the undamaged position> it is like minimally bent medially and a little looks downward.
Bike is absolute a great bike , but any time I drop it at even zero speed in the garage , either a lever of turn light is gone.
Please forgive for fast typing and possible too many errors.
Thank you , Ride safe/Ride long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-25-2019, 10:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

I think I put my crash bar in the vice and smacked the crap out of it until it worked again. Long lengths of pipe may have coerced back into shape too.
When I ride with others I let them go like the wind and catch up later.
post #3 of 20 Old 02-26-2019, 02:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

Remove the foot brake lever and have it straightened by applying heat to the metal lever. Too much heat and it deforms. Not enough heat and it snaps. There are aftermarket replacements available on ebay, if you care to look.
For a mod to the turn lights to shorten the stalk length, Alain27 - Raccourcir les clignotants avant pour qu'ils ne touchent pas en cas de chute. Enough pix on the French site to follow the process without making use of Google translation.
Ennsync and Bobsguys like this.

post #4 of 20 Old 02-26-2019, 02:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

I got some aftermarket shorter turn indicators, They seem a bit more flexible than oem. Probably less than $25 at the local MC shop.
They also have a dual element bulb so you could have running lights if you wire them up. 20/5 watt bulbs.
Ennsync likes this.
post #5 of 20 Old 02-26-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
I got some aftermarket shorter turn indicators, They seem a bit more flexible than oem. Probably less than $25 at the local MC shop.
They also have a dual element bulb so you could have running lights if you wire them up. 20/5 watt bulbs.
Thant is a good idea
post #6 of 20 Old 02-26-2019, 06:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert View Post
... There are aftermarket replacements available on ebay, if you care to look.
Not for the DL1000. You can get aftermarket rear brake pedals for the 650, but not the 1000.

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening
post #7 of 20 Old 02-26-2019, 07:11 PM
$tromtrooper

I pretzled my brake pedal a couple of weeks ago. Used a sz 14 boot and no heat to bend it back thinking it would snap at any moment...it didn't:

from this:

to this:

Also, riding in groups tends to get the mind into a pack mentality....."if they are all passing on a double yellow, I'm gonna do it too". Do not fall into the trap. Ride your ride, maintain a safe distance, and never do anything that you normally would not do. If it look reckless then it is. Avoid large groups.....half a dozen bikes or less.
Big B, trapperdog, notacop and 4 others like this.

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"

Last edited by Motor7; 02-26-2019 at 07:15 PM.
post #8 of 20 Old 02-26-2019, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Although it is obviously possible to bend the brake pedal cold, I would still recommend 20 minutes in a 180 degree C. oven first. Preheat the oven and turn it off when you put the lever in - and buy the better half a box of chocolates first. Put some tinfoil on a baking tray to avoid any conflict.
It's also best to give yourself an extra safety margin when riding in a group of strangers. I find that riding in close causes me to be alert and so I drop back so that I can relax and enjoy the ride.
Ennsync likes this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #9 of 20 Old 02-26-2019, 09:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

As for the rear brake lever, while it's off the bike, consider taking the opportunity to install a grease fitting.

Greywolf did that, and I did too, later, when I had to replace the lever on my current bike.

Makes it much easier to lube that area, which reduces likelihood of the rear brake dragging, especially during winter months.
Gert, Ennsync and Hatchi like this.

2007 Wee. Blue. Bought at 5K miles. Sold at 32K+ miles. Gone but not forgotten.

2012 Wee2 Adventure. Black. Bought at 26K miles. Now 41K+. Love it! (but plan to own a 2014+ Vee, someday).
post #10 of 20 Old 02-26-2019, 09:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

On a ride through the Southern Sierras on of our group made a kinda reckless pass and a local ranger pulled over the rest of the group. When I pulled off my helmet, one of the last in the group, the ranger sputtered a bit and kinda changed his tuned when a grey haired guy politely asked what the issue was. He explained that there had been many dangers of passing on a narrow mountain road. He let us go with a warning.
Yeah, group riding can have it's hazards.
Problem arises when competent riders run into complete idiots plodding along. They never seem to pull over for the traffic.
Some place in the garage I've got a brake pedal that is bent all to crap. i should give it a go to make it mo bettah.
Ennsync likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode