oh no, not another Vee coolant drip thread! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 12-25-2018, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
oh no, not another Vee coolant drip thread!

After a cold winter morning's ride yesterday I found myself in exactly the same situation as OP in this old thread:

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-2002-2012/88714-coolant-leak-help.html#post977082

Right down to the appearance of the coolant drip.

All the hoses going to the thermostat housing are fairly new because I replaced them in the last year or so, except the small one going downward in the photo (described as "Hose, Water Bypass" in the parts diagram). I don't think that's the source of the leak though.

Might this point to a need for a new thermostat? Since that housing has no gasket or seal aside from the thermostat itself, I can't think of what else it could be allowing the leak.

Also, I'm really sick and tired of taking stuff out of the way to replace cooling system hoses. Partly because I just did it a few weeks ago to replace the short hoses that go to the cylinder heads from the thermostat housing.

Would it be so wrong to paint a bit of exhaust gasket maker on that joint? Might stop the drips until I feel like doing the job "properly," at least.

Last edited by DesertBike; 12-25-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-25-2018, 03:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

If you just did work on the cooling system that is probably where your problem lies. A clamp may need a tighten or be moved an bit. Even new hoses can be defective. First thing is to locate the leak. Then if gasket maker will stanch the drip for a while go for it. At least you are still riding. Up here in the great white north most bikes are snuggled in their beds.

13 DL650
80 CX500D sold and missed
post #3 of 11 Old 12-25-2018, 08:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

I too have had drips on both my 1000's. I found that moving the coolant reservoir plug up about3/8" to leave the overflow hose to vent solved the problem on both. Worth a try.

post #4 of 11 Old 12-26-2018, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
I think the coolant reservoir plug thing was the key. Moved it up so the overflow tube was uncovered and got the bike good and warmed up. No more drips so far.

Seems like the coolant system gets too pressurized, and springs a leak at the thermostat if you have the reservoir plug in all the way. You'd think the owner's manual or at least the shop manual would mention this.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-09-2019, 11:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have a leak also. What exactly is this "coolant reservoir plug"?
post #6 of 11 Old 04-10-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
It's the big round rubber bung in the top of the whimsically-decorated coolant tank inside the fairing on the right. Part #12 in the corresponding parts fiche:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/su.../radiator-hose

FWIW, I still haven't fully resolved this issue. It seems totally random as to when it does or doesn't happen. A few weeks ago I got a few drops of coolant on my left boot, and could see that coolant had been leaking out of the thermostat, dripping on to the cylinder head and then down the left side of the engine.

Found a little bit of coolant in my skid plate when I took it off to clean some stuff last weekend, too. First time I'd had the plate off in months, so it was recent. It is an Enduro Guardian plate so there is one corner where coolant can pool to an extent. Not more than several drops' worth but still Not Good.

But over the last few weeks, I've been unable to actually observe the coolant dripping out of the thermostat housing.

I finally had enough and ordered a replacement thermostat. Don't know how else to permanently fix this. The thermostat itself is the only rubber component in the area that's leaking. Haven't installed it yet though.

Last edited by DesertBike; 04-10-2019 at 10:11 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-13-2019, 02:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

Mine is also completely random. Not sure if I should worry about it? Yesterday took it out for about a 30 mile ride, got home, no leaks. Again, mine appears to be coming out the overflow tube, about where my right foot would be if at a stop and foot was on the ground.
DesertBike likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-13-2019, 11:53 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Duckfan View Post
Mine is also completely random. Not sure if I should worry about it? Yesterday took it out for about a 30 mile ride, got home, no leaks. Again, mine appears to be coming out the overflow tube, about where my right foot would be if at a stop and foot was on the ground.
Out the overflow tube is no biggie. Don't worry about it. That's why the tube is there. In my experience, temperature swings while parked can cause a drip.

If it becomes excessive, then you probably need to overhaul the waterpump.

FWIW: Mine did that for a while after rebuilding the waterpump and then stopped. I haven't seen a drip in several years.

To the OP: Is it possible the new hoses you installed are not oriented properly? They have a bend to them and different diameters at each end. It is also possible the O-rings on the unions are not seated correctly. Or, as you suspect, the thermostat could be your source. I haven't dug into the thermostat, but did the hoses and unions last year.
DesertBike likes this.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
post #9 of 11 Old 04-14-2019, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by larolco View Post
Out the overflow tube is no biggie. Don't worry about it. That's why the tube is there. In my experience, temperature swings while parked can cause a drip.

If it becomes excessive, then you probably need to overhaul the waterpump.

FWIW: Mine did that for a while after rebuilding the waterpump and then stopped. I haven't seen a drip in several years.
That was going to be my suggestion, but as you say - sometimes the overflow will drip a little for no obvious reason. It's only if it's all the time that you need to think about a water pump rebuild, IMO.
Quote:
To the OP: Is it possible the new hoses you installed are not oriented properly?
No. Suzi did us a solid here - it's almost impossible to install them wrong.

Quote:
They have a bend to them and different diameters at each end. It is also possible the O-rings on the unions are not seated correctly. Or, as you suspect, the thermostat could be your source. I haven't dug into the thermostat, but did the hoses and unions last year.
O-rings (#9 in the Radiator Hose parts fiche) are original AFAIK. I have new ones, but decided not to attempt replacement when I put on new connector hoses. Too much work, and the leak wasn't coming from there anyway. Well enough alone and all that.

Haven't had any more leaks from those hoses or their fittings, so I suppose that was a good call.

Reason I think it's the thermostat that needs R&R is that the only coolant drips I can see are coming from there.

I'm replacing the thermostat today, but it's tough going. Even with the fuel tank removed, there is almost no room to work. Removing the airbox will allow a smidge more room to swing a (stubby) wrench. I really don't want to remove the throttle bodies.

post #10 of 11 Old 04-15-2019, 12:49 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBike View Post
O-rings (#9 in the Radiator Hose parts fiche) are original AFAIK.
There's your source, I'm betting.

Apparently they are infamous. I didn't know about it either until mine went.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode