StromTrooper banner

Rebuild after broken chain and fire

30K views 233 replies 31 participants last post by  WildDoktor 
#1 ·
It has begun! @teevee donated a rear shock and a guy at work donated a 530 chain, and I finally got out of my funk, so I started tearing into it today.

First order of biz was to make sure no wiring was damaged by the fire. Rear wheel off, bad chain re-broken and removed, and inspection reveals no damage to wiring! Sweet!

Next job, remove the tank and have a look around. Much easier than I imagined. But, um, yeah...there's a weed poking out the (apparently modded by the PO) airbox. Really hope there's a k&n in there like was promised, since I have the cleaning kit...and I bet it's filthy! Yes on both counts. :)

And, since I'm in here, I might as well replace the rear shock from @teevee (thank u so much!). Just 4 bolts; looks fairly simple. And...it was! New-to-me rear shock now installed and torqued.

I still have much to do, but it sure feels good to have gotten started.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, you need an new airbox. That's for sure. Or, I guess, you could seal up those holes.

That air filter is, um, disgusting. Looks like it might be a K&N but can't be certain. I don't remember what a stock filter looks like. Certainly needs cleaning though. I wonder why the previous owner did that. Must have had a problem he thought more air could fix. Seems bizarre; most people find these bikes run too lean.

Enjoy the rebuild. I'm in the midst of my own. I consider it a "bonding" experience. I hope your experience is similar.

#5 ·
Yes, what BigB said. I would like to see a pic of what it looks like UNDER the air filter.

K&N filters are actually quite good at protecting engines when they are this dirty, so if it was sealed around the edges it could be just fine behind it.

#6 ·
Don't have a pic, but I thought the same thing and dreaded lifting that filter for fear of what I would find. What I found was a pristine, perfectly clean airbox. Thanks again, k&n! :)

#8 ·
Yeah, I'm actually saving up to get both ends done by him.

Reactions: notacop
#9 ·
Clean! I've personally never seen a k&n that dirty before; probably because I've bought all mine new and kept them clean. :) I had to dig junk out of every single pleat on the dirty side of this one *after* using the cleaner on it! Sheesh. Well, it'll get oiled up before it goes back in, and be good as new.

Reactions: Big B
#11 ·
That's what I'm thinking too :) This is my favorite bike I've ever owned, even with its issues, so yeah...looking forward to getting her resurrected and better than new!

#12 ·
re: the holes in the airbox: I have searched and cannot find any references (even very old) as to why somebody would choose to do that to the airbox of this particular bike. Seems to me like they would negate the benefits of ram air and a high flow filter; I imagine they would actually let pre-filter air *out* of the airbox, rather than letting more air *in*. So unless any of you can tell me why these holes are a "good idea", I'm just going to seal them up and experiment with different PCIII maps from this site once I get the bike running again.

Thoughts?

#162 ·
re: the holes in the airbox: I have searched and cannot find any references (even very old) as to why somebody would choose to do that to the airbox of this particular bike. Seems to me like they would negate the benefits of ram air and a high flow filter; I imagine they would actually let pre-filter air out of the airbox, rather than letting more air in. So unless any of you can tell me why these holes are a "good idea", I'm just going to seal them up and experiment with different PCIII maps from this site once I get the bike running again.

Thoughts?
Holeshot performance advises that holes in air box helps performance. but that is Vee2 and never seen it done on Vee 1

#13 ·
Holes need patched for sure, I highly recommend a roll of aluminum duct tape.......good stuff and sticks to almost anything. Double up on each hole, I imagine this should work very well, it's good enough for HVAC duct work. :smile2:

#14 ·
Probably somebody operating without an understanding of the theory.

I wonder if you'll notice any difference with/without the holes? Might not actually make much of a difference if, as you say, the holes just let more air escape.

+1 on the duct tape method.

#15 · (Edited)
Next question: there are 2 screw adjustments at the bottom of the rear shock; my google ninja skills are failing me. Anybody have a link that shows what those two adjustments do? (I don't have a service manual or even an owner's manual.) (I do know what the big knob does. :) )

Update: Looks like the one on the right, with the S . H markings, is rebound, and the one on the left, with 4 "dots" around it, is to be left untouched. Correct?

#17 ·
Heh...

#18 ·
For those holes maybe consider using some PVC glue like is used when installing internal vacuum pipes, it actually melts the plastic together, so all you need is a piece of PVC that you cut into circles, larger than each hole, then put glue on it and touch to air box, should glue instantly. Assuming that airbox is also PVC.

The tape idea might not work out too well over time if there is any moisture involved.

Looks like that bike has been ridden in dirt a fair bit. Mine look something like that after a trip up North, but with a lot more bugs embedded.

#20 ·
Thanks @teevee! I got the download as well.

The grammar in the last paragraph in that screenshot is criminal!!

Once this bike is running again, I'll just do like others have done; set the sag, set the rebound adjuster to the middle setting, then ride and adjust to suit.

#22 ·
Well, it's been a while, but I got some good news yesterday...I've been approved for a tidy little sum of money to start buying parts for my bike. Woo Hoo! So, the purchasing began in earnest last night. :)

Along with multiple purchases from ebay, I'll be patronizing @richlandrick for a rear wheel spacer, SV Racing Parts for some front pads, and Rich Desmond for some fork springs.

Man...it's been a looooong year without a running bike!

#23 ·
That's good news. It's cool to see a phoenix rising out of ashes. Maybe you should name it Fox.

What's the backstory on the Vee...and your accompanying funk?

Reactions: WildDoktor
#24 ·
Reactions: KZDon
#26 ·
Allllrighty then! Everything is ordered and on it's way. Can't wait to finally get to work on this thing!

#29 ·
Um...yikes...

#30 ·
Wasn't expecting these til Wed, so i already made plans for today, but...woo hoo!! The rebuild has begun!!

Reactions: Charlie1982
#32 ·
The rebuild has begun! Got my magnets jbweld'ed back into place, replaced the clutch pushrod oil seal, and replaced the front sprocket.

Then I picked up the stator and inspected it real good.

Uh oh. Is this "acceptable wear", or do I need a new stator?

This is the only spot that looks burnt.

I'm searching for how to test with a multimeter while the stator is off the bike like this but can't seem to find a thread, so if you have a link I'd appreciate it!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.