Rebuild after broken chain and fire - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

153Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 154 Old 11-04-2018, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtk View Post
Your going to love your ride when finished.
That's what I'm thinking too :-) This is my favorite bike I've ever owned, even with its issues, so yeah...looking forward to getting her resurrected and better than new!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2004 V-Strom 1000 (currently broken - parts received - repairs in progress - snag hit - repairs on pause - unsnagged - repairs in progress)
Two Brothers with P1 tips, PCIII USB, SuperBrace Fork Brace, K&N filters, ROX bar risers, Kappa top and side cases, MadStad, Givi tall windshield, Givi engine guards, Sargent Seat, 12 volt air compressor, 530 Conversion, 17/44, SpeedoDRD, Rudolph Nose and Antlers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 154 Old 11-05-2018, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
re: the holes in the airbox: I have searched and cannot find any references (even very old) as to why somebody would choose to do that to the airbox of this particular bike. Seems to me like they would negate the benefits of ram air and a high flow filter; I imagine they would actually let pre-filter air *out* of the airbox, rather than letting more air *in*. So unless any of you can tell me why these holes are a "good idea", I'm just going to seal them up and experiment with different PCIII maps from this site once I get the bike running again.

Thoughts?

2004 V-Strom 1000 (currently broken - parts received - repairs in progress - snag hit - repairs on pause - unsnagged - repairs in progress)
Two Brothers with P1 tips, PCIII USB, SuperBrace Fork Brace, K&N filters, ROX bar risers, Kappa top and side cases, MadStad, Givi tall windshield, Givi engine guards, Sargent Seat, 12 volt air compressor, 530 Conversion, 17/44, SpeedoDRD, Rudolph Nose and Antlers
post #13 of 154 Old 11-05-2018, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Holes need patched for sure, I highly recommend a roll of aluminum duct tape.......good stuff and sticks to almost anything. Double up on each hole, I imagine this should work very well, it's good enough for HVAC duct work.
WildDoktor likes this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #14 of 154 Old 11-05-2018, 03:12 PM
$tromtrooper

Probably somebody operating without an understanding of the theory.

I wonder if you'll notice any difference with/without the holes? Might not actually make much of a difference if, as you say, the holes just let more air escape.

+1 on the duct tape method.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
post #15 of 154 Old 11-05-2018, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Next question: there are 2 screw adjustments at the bottom of the rear shock; my google ninja skills are failing me. Anybody have a link that shows what those two adjustments do? (I don't have a service manual or even an owner's manual.) (I do know what the big knob does. :-) )

Update: Looks like the one on the right, with the S . H markings, is rebound, and the one on the left, with 4 "dots" around it, is to be left untouched. Correct?

Last edited by WildDoktor; 11-05-2018 at 03:50 PM.
post #16 of 154 Old 11-05-2018, 10:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Nobody noticed the antlers...

2004 DL1000
2004 KTM 525EXC plated
post #17 of 154 Old 11-05-2018, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Heh...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

post #18 of 154 Old 11-06-2018, 11:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

For those holes maybe consider using some PVC glue like is used when installing internal vacuum pipes, it actually melts the plastic together, so all you need is a piece of PVC that you cut into circles, larger than each hole, then put glue on it and touch to air box, should glue instantly. Assuming that airbox is also PVC.

The tape idea might not work out too well over time if there is any moisture involved.

Looks like that bike has been ridden in dirt a fair bit. Mine look something like that after a trip up North, but with a lot more bugs embedded.
WildDoktor likes this.
post #19 of 154 Old 11-06-2018, 06:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildDoktor View Post
Next question: there are 2 screw adjustments at the bottom of the rear shock; my google ninja skills are failing me. Anybody have a link that shows what those two adjustments do? (I don't have a service manual or even an owner's manual.) (I do know what the big knob does. :-) )

Update: Looks like the one on the right, with the S . H markings, is rebound, and the one on the left, with 4 "dots" around it, is to be left untouched. Correct?
see attached

'08 DR650, '07 DL1000
"And anyways, if they don't have motorcycles in heaven, I'd rather go to hell. I'm pretty sure they will have loads of them there." (deelip, 2016)
post #20 of 154 Old 11-06-2018, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Thanks @teevee ! I got the download as well.

The grammar in the last paragraph in that screenshot is criminal!!

Once this bike is running again, I'll just do like others have done; set the sag, set the rebound adjuster to the middle setting, then ride and adjust to suit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode