Rebuild after broken chain and fire - Page 16 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

159Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 158 Old 10-01-2019, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Ha Ha! Totally appropriate @Brockie !

2004 V-Strom 1000 (currently broken - parts received - repairs in progress - snag hit - repairs on pause - unsnagged - repairs in progress)
Two Brothers with P1 tips, PCIII USB, SuperBrace Fork Brace, K&N filters, ROX bar risers, Kappa top and side cases, MadStad, Givi tall windshield, Givi engine guards, Sargent Seat, 12 volt air compressor, 530 Conversion, 17/44, SpeedoDRD, Rudolph Nose and Antlers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 158 Old 10-01-2019, 12:59 PM
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
Note to self: avoid bending countershaft.
WildDoktor likes this.

2007 Vee with too many farkles and 50k+ (s)miles
post #153 of 158 Old 10-01-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBike View Post
Note to self: avoid bending countershaft.
Like x a million!!

Can you please go back in time and tell my younger self that? Maybe add a slap upside my head while you're there...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Brockie, DesertBike and Big Boy like this.

2004 V-Strom 1000 (currently broken - parts received - repairs in progress - snag hit - repairs on pause - unsnagged - repairs in progress)
Two Brothers with P1 tips, PCIII USB, SuperBrace Fork Brace, K&N filters, ROX bar risers, Kappa top and side cases, MadStad, Givi tall windshield, Givi engine guards, Sargent Seat, 12 volt air compressor, 530 Conversion, 17/44, SpeedoDRD, Rudolph Nose and Antlers

post #154 of 158 Old 10-12-2019, 05:51 PM
$tromtrooper

Dude, you are the Pit Bull of persistence!

Can you tell I have had the grandkids since yesterday?
DesertBike and WildDoktor like this.

15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #155 of 158 Old 11-22-2019, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Suzuki chemical equivalents / alternatives?

Hey all! I've been super busy the last couple months doing "other" stuff; stuff that's cool enough that I don't feel too bad about the delay. :-) (I'm a singer, and I recently got connected with a super passionate and cool group of local singers and artists, and we've been doing local gigs the last couple months. I've been having a blast, and have *really* needed this after about a 3 year dry spell since moving to Redding, so yeah. :-) )

Well, I had some time the other evening, so I did some research on what I'm going to need to put my motor (and my bike) back together. (And to see if buying a complete gasket kit would be more or less expensive than buying individual gaskets. That answer was easy: buy the kit.)

Now I have a couple questions about "chemicals".

These are the "chemicals" I'll need, as listed in the manual (there are more listed, but I won't need them for the stuff I'm putting together):

Suzuki Bond 1207B
Thread Lock 1342
Suzuki Super Grease "A" - Suzuki apparently doesn't sell the "A"; just the "C"

Questions:
  • Are there equivalents / alternatives to each of these that are more readily available at normal box stores or Amazon, or should I just go with the Suzuki stuff?
  • Is there an actual difference between the A and C grease? I've searched for days, and like normal, 50% of posts say yes, 50% say no. The 50% that say yes are also split about 50/50 as to whether you should use A or C!

Anyway, I'm looking for answers from you who have actually used this stuff before. :-)

Fire away! And...thanks!
DesertBike likes this.

post #156 of 158 Old 11-22-2019, 11:20 AM
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
Good news: There's nothing magical about the Suzuki substances. Use 'em if you got 'em, but they're not required.

If you can get the Suzuki stuff without undue delay or expense, go for it. However, often the "genuine" stuff is overly expensive, would take too long to get, or is altogether unobtainable, so folks have found substitutes.

Suzuki Super Bond looks like a silicone RTV gasket maker. There are several Permatex RTV products that could work in its place, depending on the application. Where is this stuff going to be used?

Blue Loctite (or the Permatex equivalent) is the only thread locker you need. It can be loosened with hand tools, but won't come loose on its own. I never use "red," or the kind of thread locker that requires heat to remove, since there's nothing on my Vstrom where I want to have to break out the blowtorch to get it loose.

Where Suzuki Super Grease "A" was indicated, I've used Mobil One synthetic grease. That's the red stuff that comes in blue-and-silver cans/tubes. Perfectly good substitution. Some folks prefer "marine"-rated grease for the extra resistance to dispersion by water, but it's not required.

Bottom line: you can get substitute goos and greases at any auto parts store that are just fine, no need to pay or wait for shipping.

Hope this helps.
WildDoktor and Big Boy like this.

post #157 of 158 Old 11-22-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Thanks; that helps a lot!

The "super bond" is used for putting the cases back together...apparently a very thin layer on both sides, then bolt them together. (Just don't forget to, you know, put the tranny and junk in first.) Also for some other small parts that I can't remember at the moment. So yeah; I don't need a ton of it.

I can grab some blue loctite local, and already have marine grade grease, so I just need the super bond or equivalent. And some free time. :-)
DesertBike likes this.

post #158 of 158 Old 11-22-2019, 12:28 PM
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
For the crankcase halves I would use Permatex Ultra Black (82180). It has the most oil resistance, so it's best-suited.
WildDoktor and oldjeep like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode