Front Cylinder Head Gushing Coolant - Page 14 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #131 of 136 Old 06-14-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Two days later, maybe 30 cycles of the ignition switch, cannot repeat it.

One thing to note, however, is that the temperature is significantly cooler today than it has been for a couple of weeks and the surging phenomenon is drastically reduced. So, the surging seems to be temperature related.

I expect once it hots up this afternoon, the surging will once again become more pronounced. It's most noticeable between 3000-4000 rpm.

Going to do another TBS this weekend since it was set with the old TPS which is now replaced. I expect that will make some difference. I will report back with results.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 136 Old 06-14-2019, 11:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by larolco View Post
Man, I just had the airbox off Friday. It would have been so easy to see. I'll try to get a look for you tomorrow.

Today's project was the windshield. After 13 years it was pretty yellowed and beaten up. A couple weeks back, I crossed the border to ride up Mt. Baker; the border guard's first comment was, "I bet you can buff that right out." That's how bad it was.

Anyhow, for kicks, I put a buffing pad on a drill and used some glass polishing compound.

Here are before and after pics.

I also gave it its seasonal bath.

Im curious, what polish did you use? And was it really plastic polish, or did you use actual glass polish? I thought the only thing that could really polish glass (get scratches out) was cerium oxide, though I could be wrong on that. Just wondering...
post #133 of 136 Old 06-15-2019, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

It was 3M glass polish, not plastic.

Just what I had access to, kind of on a whim.

It had some interesting ingredients, for sure.

I think I need to finish it with some plastic polish because it is swirly in the sun. I'll probably give it another going over as well since I did it pretty quick, just to see if the windshield had any hope.

I don't think I mentioned, I did the headlights too.

DRZ400SK17

post #134 of 136 Old 08-10-2019, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by larolco View Post
I wouldn't be surprised either, after reading that thread. No codes yet today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
Get the code out of it before you worry what it is.

Would not be surprised to see a C42!
Well, no code for two months....

Until today!

I've been on a multi-day two-up road trip with my wife and, after a hike at Smuggler Cove this morning, I went to fire it up and no fuel pump prime and the dash showed the expected C-42.

So, that's that.

Still has the uneven throttle/surge issue though. Some days it is more prevalent than others.

And, on the odd occasion, the pump will prime for twice its normal duration. Dunno if that's related to the ignition switch or not.

DRZ400SK17
post #135 of 136 Old 11-11-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Update on C-42 code. It's done it a few more times since. Always goes away when the key is turned off and back on again.

Also, regarding the surging, I have ruled out the fuel pump I think. While the bike is down with charging issues (there's a separate thread on that saga), I performed a fuel flow test. Three repetitions of the prime cycle produces over 300 ml of fuel, which seems to be the benchmark according to an old post by John of Char.

Had the pump not been up to snuff, I think I would have thrown in the towel and called it a day.

DRZ400SK17
post #136 of 136 Old 11-12-2019, 08:46 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

I dealt with the C42 code the whole time I owned my 2003 DL 1000. Always started....after some intervention.

BTW, cycling the kill switch works the same way as turning the ignition key on/off and is easier/quicker to do.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode