Front Cylinder Head Gushing Coolant - Page 13 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 133 Old 06-10-2019, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Here are the best pics I was able to get. To the naked eyeball, it looks to fit flush.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190610_200740.jpg (305.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20190610_200905.jpg (314.8 KB, 3 views)

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 133 Old 06-11-2019, 10:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

Hmm... much appreciate for the pics. I really cant tell because of the angle. But i tried re-seating them and even tapping with a plastic mallet but they seem to be at an angle still.
post #123 of 133 Old 06-11-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaine Beedenbender View Post
Hmm... much appreciate for the pics. I really cant tell because of the angle. But i tried re-seating them and even tapping with a plastic mallet but they seem to be at an angle still.
I assume you've cleaned out the port of any corrosion/gunk that might keep the union from seating?
Do they fit differently without the O-ring installed?

DRZ400SK17

post #124 of 133 Old 06-11-2019, 08:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

They are cleared of debris, etc. You can bolt it down without the washer just fine, but neither sides are straight in their bore and unless you are looking from the top I do not think you can see this. So yours may be cocked towards the bolt but you cant see it from the angle the pics were taken. This is my guess.
post #125 of 133 Old 06-11-2019, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
They are cleared of debris, etc. You can bolt it down without the washer just fine, but neither sides are straight in their bore and unless you are looking from the top I do not think you can see this. So yours may be cocked towards the bolt but you cant see it from the angle the pics were taken. This is my guess.
Maybe, but nothing looked untoward to me when I assembled it. Hard to say without removing the throttle bodies, which is something I may have to do sooner than I would like. See next post...

DRZ400SK17
post #126 of 133 Old 06-11-2019, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

I got the second of two FI codes today when I went to fire it up to leave work. Almost exactly two weeks ago it did the same thing. I'm glad it did it back then so I know I can rule out the new TPS which I have installed in the meantime.

I fear I may have to have the injectors cleaned or replaced. Or maybe the ECU or an oxygen sensor, or possibly the fuel pump (though I doubt that because it red-lines just fine). I guess I have to get a code reader on it or catch it in dealer mode when it happens.

Here's what happens:

Both times, hot afternoons after the bike had been sitting in the sun after being ridden in the morning. Turn on the key, red light on dash and FI on the dash. Fuel pump does not cycle. Nothing else strange. Not sure if the gauges swept or not. Have to watch for that next time.

Turn off the key, turn back on, all is well. For now, at least. No FI code, pump primes normally.

I'm pretty sure this must be related to the surging issue which has definitely not gone away. In fact, I'm thinking it may be worsening. This could be related to increased temperatures. Both times were on the hottest days of the year so far, and the surging seems worse when hot. The only other thing I can think of is a plugged fuel vent. Sometimes on a hot day I think I catch a whiff of gasoline but that could just be from the old hardened cap seal which would mean it's not a vent issue anyhow.

Anyway, tomorrow is supposed to be stinking hot, so I'll put it in dealer mode for tomorrow's commute and see what I see. Already dumped in new fuel and injector cleaner.

Anyone have any other ideas?

...Further investigation reveals the following thread which suggests an electrical connection problem (a bit of vintage Greywolf): https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-...t-start-4.html

DRZ400SK17

Last edited by larolco; 06-12-2019 at 12:02 AM.
post #127 of 133 Old 06-12-2019, 07:49 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Get the code out of it before you worry what it is.

Would not be surprised to see a C42!

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #128 of 133 Old 06-12-2019, 12:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Larolco:

As you know, all of those connectors except the fuel pump are attached to the radiator shroud. I have mine disconnected right now and they are mostly all oxidized. I am going to use a electrical contact scraper on them. The fuel pump harness I believe is in the general area where the tank mounts, will have to go look.

On a side note, I took the water outlets apart again and fitted with and without an o-ring in the bore, measuring depth. With no o-ring, the outlet sits flush with the mount surface. With the o-ring on there, well you know the story. I am convinced at this point that they are just like that, tilted off center. I just don't understand why they would engineer it this way.
post #129 of 133 Old 06-12-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Larolco:

As you know, all of those connectors except the fuel pump are attached to the radiator shroud. I have mine disconnected right now and they are mostly all oxidized. I am going to use a electrical contact scraper on them. The fuel pump harness I believe is in the general area where the tank mounts, will have to go look.

On a side note, I took the water outlets apart again and fitted with and without an o-ring in the bore, measuring depth. With no o-ring, the outlet sits flush with the mount surface. With the o-ring on there, well you know the story. I am convinced at this point that they are just like that, tilted off center. I just don't understand why they would engineer it this way.
Something isn't going together correctly. Have you tried lubing the O-rings? They should sit flush I think, esp if they do without the rings installed.

DRZ400SK17
post #130 of 133 Old 06-12-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
Get the code out of it before you worry what it is.

Would not be surprised to see a C42!
I wouldn't be surprised either, after reading that thread. No codes yet today.

DRZ400SK17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode