Fuel pump whining 2012 100 adventure - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 10-27-2018, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Fuel pump whining 2012 100 adventure

I am experiencing the high pitch whining from fuel pump. No issues with performance at all. I have read many threads about the high pressure filter and by-pass fix. I do not want to do the by-pass. What are my options. I have the tank off and ready to pull the pump assembly. Is the high pressure filter replaceable? Any possibility its the lower fuel filter which is replaceable? I see prices around $200 for a filter and $20 for a filter. I do not think its the fuel pump since there are not running issues. I would just replace both since I'm in there.

Last edited by steevestrom; 10-27-2018 at 10:22 PM. Reason: 2012 1000 not 100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-27-2018, 10:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevestrom View Post
I am experiencing the high pitch whining from fuel pump. No issues with performance at all. I have read many threads about the high pressure filter and by-pass fix. I do not want to do the by-pass. What are my options. I have the tank off and ready to pull the pump assembly. Is the high pressure filter replaceable? Any possibility its the lower fuel filter which is replaceable? I see prices around $200 for a filter and $20 for a filter. I do not think its the fuel pump since there are not running issues. I would just replace both since I'm in there.
The HP side is likely causing the whining, the LP is a cleanable sock. Pretty easy to R&R both of them, just pay attention to how the fuel pump and fuel sending unit come apart.

I did not want to do the bypass either, but many have without issues.

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"
post #3 of 14 Old 10-27-2018, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thank you! I'm getting conflicting info about whether the high pressure filter is replaceable. Some say you have to replace the entire fuel pump. I will be checking with my dealer to find out. I don't mind a few hundred after 6 years, just don't want to spend $800 plus for a new fuel pump if not needed.
STCorndog likes this.

post #4 of 14 Old 10-27-2018, 11:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Well, my DL1000 was a 2007 but I think it is the same. It is replaceable. It was spendy though...about $200 for OEM if I recall.

BTW - there is a flow test to troubleshoot this. Fuel pumps on these rarely fail but the filters are good for 50,000 miles or so if you get good gas.

post #5 of 14 Old 10-28-2018, 12:22 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

To decide what's up you need to do the fuel pump flow test.
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-d...t-results.html

Then depending what you find decide what to do next.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #6 of 14 Old 10-28-2018, 12:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

Pull the pump and clean the inlet sock. The high-pressure filter is probably fine unless you travel in areas with sketchy gas or have a rusty tank. My new-to-me Wee (April) that I bought with only 3700 miles on the ODO started whining at 7K miles and it turned out my inlet sock was plugged with fine black silt or grit.

It happened to my previous K7 Wee too so I have switched to a different gas station.

Pink Floyd: And did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2014 V-Strom DL650 ABS Red
Next Up: ?
Past: Suzuki: DL650AK7, GS400; Honda: CB125, Express 49cc
post #7 of 14 Old 10-28-2018, 01:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

^^^^^^^^^^maybe...maybe not. But trying what dmfdmf says is not a bad idea.

The sock on mine was cleaned first. Whined still.
Then I back flushed the HP filter. Fixed for a few thousand miles. Whined again.
Replaced the HP filter. Fixed.

I buy top tier gas all the time, premium usually.

I should add though, as well as whining, the bike would get where it would not run above 7,500 rpm or so, like it had a fuel cut off. Even with a clean filter system, the fuel pump was a little noisy, but I have great hearing.

post #8 of 14 Old 10-28-2018, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I didn't do a flow test and decided to just pull it to check things out today. Low filter has residue but not completely covered. After shaking all the gas I could get out of the sealed unit, it seemed to be very discolored gas coming out onto a white towel.There is a small roundish chrome cylinder attached to the HP filter that the pump slides in to. Should this be pulled off the assembly?
post #9 of 14 Old 10-29-2018, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Just out of curiosity would you think totally submerging the entire black HP housing in Techron fuel system cleaner for a few days and then flushing in gasoline until it emptied out clear and clean would be an alternative to spending $250 for a new one? I have no idea what the sealed unit looks like inside as to whether it would dissolve and clean it. Is it just 1 filter screen like the lower one but finer or is it a series of filters? If I buy a new one I will definitely tear the old apart to see how it's constructed!
post #10 of 14 Old 10-29-2018, 09:44 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I take it that you have used the search fascilty of this site, using the search string for example as "fuel pump noise". One of the hits I found when using the sting, gives an option of something to try https://www.stromtrooper.com/4039394-post3.html. If you do try the advice, let us know how it worked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode