Chain thrown off, oil everywhere! - Page 6 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 60 Old 10-19-2018, 03:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
So how many miles are you getting out of them when the chains are on the Tutoro?
I would say roughly about 5,000 more miles. But, I'm hard on chains, live on a dirt road. The main difference I see is no rust inside the side plates, so the orings last longer. My bike is outside a lot, no enclosed garage so the chain gets condensation almost daily. Its humid in Alabama.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 60 Old 10-20-2018, 07:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

5,000 miles extra seems exceptionally conservative. Most folks running continuous chain oilers report the chains lasting at least double the mileage verses periodic lubing. I had 19,000 miles on my DL's chain when I sold it. 3/4's of those miles the chain was lubed with a Scott oiler and ATF and looked better than new and was well within spec. I would have expected the chain life to be easily 30,000 miles if I kept the bike.
post #53 of 60 Old 10-21-2018, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Here's to the new bike, same as the old bike!
Big B and brutalguyracing like this.

post #54 of 60 Old 10-21-2018, 06:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

awesome
congrats
post #55 of 60 Old 10-22-2018, 04:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14 View Post
5,000 miles extra seems exceptionally conservative. Most folks running continuous chain oilers report the chains lasting at least double the mileage verses periodic lubing. I had 19,000 miles on my DL's chain when I sold it. 3/4's of those miles the chain was lubed with a Scott oiler and ATF and looked better than new and was well within spec. I would have expected the chain life to be easily 30,000 miles if I kept the bike.
If I rode more miles more often it would be different. I think the bike sits too much outside in my case. The morning dew is hell on chains when your not riding daily to throw off the moisture.

post #56 of 60 Old 10-22-2018, 04:41 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineLaneRider View Post
Here's to the new bike, same as the old bike!
Looks like the same top case my 06 came with. I might do the same if mine dies, I've put just about every farkle available on the silver beast. I would hate to get a different new bike and start over from scratch. I lost thousands when I sold my fairly new KTM. I probably should have kept it, I just got tired of the water pump and other things failing. I didn't trust it.

So far the DL1000 has been reliable after the stator replacement. Volt meters are a must on stator bikes!

post #57 of 60 Old 10-22-2018, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Yup, OEM cases came with the bike. Fiam Air horn, Aux fuseblock, new chain and tires, Fenda-extender, PIAA aux lights. 26k miles, never off road, $1800. How could I say no?

I'll move Sargeant seat, crash bars, skid plate, 2nd set of fork mounted aux lights, LED headlights, aux brake light, heated grips, highway pegs, bar risers, and off road pegs off the dead bike. Then I'll hope for 200,000 miles...lol.
brutalguyracing likes this.
post #58 of 60 Old 10-23-2018, 12:32 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineLaneRider View Post
Yup, OEM cases came with the bike. Fiam Air horn, Aux fuseblock, new chain and tires, Fenda-extender, PIAA aux lights. 26k miles, never off road, $1800. How could I say no?

I'll move Sargeant seat, crash bars, skid plate, 2nd set of fork mounted aux lights, LED headlights, aux brake light, heated grips, highway pegs, bar risers, and off road pegs off the dead bike. Then I'll hope for 200,000 miles...lol.
My 06 is at 121K miles/193K kms. Motor is still runs like new. Doesn't burn a drop of oil.

So, there is hope for yours, especially with a donor bike at hand.

But keep on top of that chain...

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
post #59 of 60 Old 10-23-2018, 01:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Be careful with your amp draw. I bought my 06 with bullet shaped motorcycle auxiliary lights installed which used up most of the stator reserve capacity. They were standard bulbs, 50 watts each I think.

After I put HID bulbs in the headlights they were more than enough. The dual hi/lo 35 watt HID set up is bright, I have the 4300k bulbs. So, I took the auxiliary lights off, even with LEDs they weren't bright enough to matter. They came mounted to the forks using the reflector studs, I didn't like that location anyway.

I run heated clothing, so its important to save power for that stuff. Heated gloves are a must have for me. With a jacket and gloves on full blast the volt meter stays in the mid 13's. On mid power I see about 13.7 volts over 3k rpm with my upgraded R/R. So, I could add my heated pant liners too without any issue. But, I use them very little. I don't ride much when it's cold enough to chill my legs.

post #60 of 60 Old 10-23-2018, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
LED headlights, and aux lights. Minimal draw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode