Chain thrown off, oil everywhere! - Page 4 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 60 Old 10-18-2018, 07:42 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Actually there are several cases of Super Tenere final drive problems. They had some bearing and gear issues. Ours still spits out too many metal fragments when you drop the oil. But it is a Yamaha so no one believes they can have problems! They do not seem to just fail all at once leaving the rider stranded.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 Old 10-18-2018, 09:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
Actually there are several cases of Super Tenere final drive problems. They had some bearing and gear issues. Ours still spits out too many metal fragments when you drop the oil. But it is a Yamaha so no one believes they can have problems! They do not seem to just fail all at once leaving the rider stranded.
The only manufacturers that do not have drive shaft issues are the ones who only produce chain drive, drive systems.

Guzzi, BMW, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha and any other manufacturer that uses shaft drives has experienced issues.

But there no fun in facts and perpetuating rumors, fear mongering and finger pointing based solely on what you've heard 2nd or 12th hand is gospel.
post #33 of 60 Old 10-18-2018, 04:04 PM
$tromtrooper

If anyone in my neck of the woods wants a nice shiny chain, there's one laying in the middle of the Trans-Canada highway, eastbound, at 176th in Surrey. It's been there for a couple of days. Glad I wasn't behind him when it came off.
Sagebrush likes this.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17

post #34 of 60 Old 10-18-2018, 04:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
Find me a post (hell it is the interweb, find me 2) where a Tenere has coughed up a shaft and disabled a bike. The seal, well sure, some people ride them in creeks and mud. The seal is cheap, plus it is quick and easy to replace. Seal goes and you do not catch it, bearing will suffer.

Is yours showing fine metal or kibbles and bits. Mine had dirty oil the first few changes, which I attributed to moly assembly lube. After the third or fourth change, the oil is pretty clean now.

I am worried more about lightning much more than I am the shaft shitting the bed.

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"
post #35 of 60 Old 10-18-2018, 04:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Strom Ry 2 View Post
Lightning regularly hits the same place twice or more often. It's not like lightning strikes are completely random or something.
Unless we are talking pieces of metal like antennas and such, sticking way up high......uh, yeah lightning is by its nature random and rare when it hits the same spot twice. If you have been struck, twice you should work on improving your karma

And maybe stick to chain drives to.

post #36 of 60 Old 10-18-2018, 04:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Now before you guys get your pitch forks and light your torches to march on Corndog's castle, I have owned a bunch of brands in my life. I know they all will (or can) break down leaving you sad. I have just never had it happen with my SuperVee in 100,000 miles or either of my Super Teneres in a combined 70,000 miles.

So experience has made me sort of endeared to Suzuki and Yamaha and it also has made me prejudice of some other brands.

BTW, those are real (and pissed off) alligators in my moat and they only get fed at election time when the candidates come to ask for my vote.

post #37 of 60 Old 10-18-2018, 04:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

I changed my FJR drive oil every other oil change, same with the Hondas. I've seen 100k on them with zero issues. Chains and sprockets cost me more than any shaft drive bike.

Anything can fail though, but keeping a close eye on the used gear lube is always a good idea. I've had a number of riding buddies get burned by their BMW. Most of them switched to the Yamahas.

But I've been stranded by a Honda and my current Suzuki, both had a bad stator failure far from home. They can break at the worst time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
STCorndog likes this.
post #38 of 60 Old 10-18-2018, 04:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STCorndog View Post
Unless we are talking pieces of metal like antennas and such, sticking way up high......uh, yeah lightning is by its nature random and rare when it hits the same spot twice. If you have been struck, twice you should work on improving your karma

And maybe stick to chain drives to.
Yes, that's the sort of thing I was referring to. So it does hit the same place more than once
post #39 of 60 Old 10-18-2018, 05:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Lightening struck my tower crane a few times, I could feel it sitting in the cab. Not fun. But, better to ride it out than to climb down sometimes.

post #40 of 60 Old 10-18-2018, 05:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush View Post
I changed my FJR drive oil every other oil change, same with the Hondas. I've seen 100k on them with zero issues. Chains and sprockets cost me more than any shaft drive bike.

Anything can fail though, but keeping a close eye on the used gear lube is always a good idea. I've had a number of riding buddies get burned by their BMW. Most of them switched to the Yamahas.

But I've been stranded by a Honda and my current Suzuki, both had a bad stator failure far from home. They can break at the worst time.

The stator always worried me to. Around 75,000 miles I JB welded the spaces between the magnets on my Vee....they seemed visually fine though. Then I installed a voltmeter, which always read good charging.

I did have the high pressure filter clog up on me and I spent a nervous 8 hours limping the Vee home without being able to engage warp drive. It made it back to my house though, so I considered it a win.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode