Idle and Stalling Issue - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Gert
  • 1 Post By realshelby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-21-2018, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to hoggdoc
Idle and Stalling Issue

A little history. I purchased a used 2003 DL1000 in February this year. The bike had about 50k miles and appeared to be in good condition. Prior to buying this bike I had never ridden a V Strom before so really didn't know what to expect.

I have replaced tires, installed a modified clutch basket to get rid of serious vibrations and resynced the TB's and checked the TPS for proper setup. I also replaced all wheel seals and wheel spacers due to wear. The bike has been flawless in starting and running until yesterday.

I made a run of about 45 miles at highway speeds 70-75 MPH on the interstate, temp outside was mid 70's the bike was running great. However, when I exited the interstate and was pulling into a parking lot I noticed the engine struggling to maintain the proper idle speed, 1100RPM. After stopping a a couple of minutes I restarted the bike and all was normal. I rode about 2 miles and stopped again for 20 minutes.

When restarting the bike again all was normal, I rode a few miles in town again shutoff the bike for about an hour and half. Once again it started and ran just fine while riding backroads to the interstate where I rode about 26 miles at highway speeds again. Once again when I exited the highway and came down to city street speeds I was having a real problem keeping the engine from stalling. In fact it did stall twice before I could get home where it stalled again while pulling into the driveway.

The strange thing is it never failed to restart easily. After rolling into my garage, I restarted the engine and it idled normally. If fact later last night I started the bike again and all was normal.

Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this issue?

2003 Zuki V-Strom 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-21-2018, 01:09 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Sounds like the TPS........they can check/adjust good and still be bad.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #3 of 7 Old 07-21-2018, 09:32 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Yes, classic Throttle Position Sensor failure. Order one and you will be on the way to it being perfect again!

If it stalls again, you can twist the throttle from idle to full on rapidly a few times and that usually fixes it for a little while.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]

post #4 of 7 Old 07-22-2018, 06:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

Also try with increased idle speed. 1100 rpm is on the low side. At what speed did you do the TPS? The TPS screws are normally soft. Did you snug them up enough?
Rolex likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-26-2018, 10:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

My 2012 DL1K, with just over 30,000 miles, started acting like this today.

I am currently traveling. I have most of my tools, but not a nice garage to work in.

How involved is replacing the TPS?

Also, there is NOT an error code on the display. Should there be?

Last edited by remoandiris; 07-26-2018 at 10:39 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-27-2018, 02:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

Extra tools needed are, security torx #20, #25 (can't remember which the DL1000 uses) long stem philips scew driver. The torx head had a pin sticking out, hence the security torx or tamperproof torx. The torx bit is for the TPS adjustment and the long screwdriver for the rubber throttle boots if needed to remove the airbox or if the boots has to be relocated. They are reported coming loose causing a vacuum leak that leads to bad idle / cutout on idle.
Make use of the search function, one eg of a search https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-...djustment.html
post #7 of 7 Old 07-27-2018, 07:47 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoandiris View Post
My 2012 DL1K, with just over 30,000 miles, started acting like this today.

I am currently traveling. I have most of my tools, but not a nice garage to work in.

How involved is replacing the TPS?

Also, there is NOT an error code on the display. Should there be?

There won't be an error code. You will need to lift the tank for access. So it isn't a super quick and easy fix. Having the "security" type Torx bits means most have to go buy those.

Good thing is that it doesn't usually completely fail. When it acts up, shut off the bike and twist the throttle from idle to full on many times rapidly. The though is that this cleans the tps contacts enough that it will work ok for a while. Try that and see how it does.
remoandiris likes this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode