What is it? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 02-26-2018, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
What is it?

Small black box. Maybe 2 inches long with six 2 position switches on it mounted under the seat. Red wire runs off of it and goes to a connector that goes to nothing on the left side of the bike under the tank.

"There's a Grey blur and a Green blur. I try to stay on the grey one." Joey Dunlop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-26-2018, 08:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to hoggdoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
Small black box. Maybe 2 inches long with six 2 position switches on it mounted under the seat. Red wire runs off of it and goes to a connector that goes to nothing on the left side of the bike under the tank.
I would say if it not connected to anything, toss it! Nothing worse than having something on the bike electrical you don't what it's purpose is. IMHO

2003 Zuki V-Strom 1000
post #3 of 26 Old 02-26-2018, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
It is a frequency changer used by something that is or was, installed on your bike. Perhaps a burglary alarm system. A frequency changer is used to prevent one person's deactivator from deactivating all nearby systems. Similar to a garage door opener opening all your neighbours automatic garage doors.
Just make sure that it is no longer connected to anything. If in doubt leave it alone.
Also Ran likes this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100

post #4 of 26 Old 02-27-2018, 02:29 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Just a single red wire? Probably a transmitter/receiver of some sort, like Brockie said.

Sarafina - 2009 DL1000
post #5 of 26 Old 02-27-2018, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivuli View Post
Just a single red wire? Probably a transmitter/receiver of some sort, like Brockie said.
The red casing appears to have at least 4 wires in it and there are two 3 prong connectors on the end. What Brockie said makes sense and would be why it looked familiar. Perhaps it has an alarm but the remote for it was lost from previous owners. If it is still there I may try and get a replacement remote and manual and hook it up. Wonder if I get an insurance break if it has one. Thanks again peoples.

"There's a Grey blur and a Green blur. I try to stay on the grey one." Joey Dunlop
post #6 of 26 Old 02-27-2018, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Nope it's a speedo healer. It's not connected and I'm pretty sure my speedo is off.

post #7 of 26 Old 02-27-2018, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
It's made by Heal-Tec and looks to be a V3 or earlier. I had a look at the set up instructions and think I know why it was unhooked. I can't make heads or tails of the set up. Going to have to dig deeper cuz I know my speedo is reading quite a bit off.

post #8 of 26 Old 03-02-2018, 06:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
That was going to be my second suggestion based on where the wire went and the shape of the box. I have one of their newer ones and it works like a champ. I'd be happy to give advice on getting it set up. What part was confusing?

Sarafina - 2009 DL1000
post #9 of 26 Old 03-02-2018, 09:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

" speedo healer"

That is best corrected by installing a GPS. Why folks are upset about reading 7 mph high, I dunno.
If you know the error deal with it.
Big B likes this.
post #10 of 26 Old 03-03-2018, 01:06 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
" speedo healer"

That is best corrected by installing a GPS. Why folks are upset about reading 7 mph high, I dunno.
If you know the error deal with it.
I find this speedometer issue to be beyond ridiculous myself. We pay over 10 grand for a bike with an amazing dash, but the Company that made it (note this is NOT just a Suzuki thing) cant even get the speedometer to be accurate. ??

If they know it is out so much (and there is no way they could not), why not have a dial built-in you can turn to adjust it, the electronics would cost next to nothing, instead you have to buy one from aftermarket and hack your wiring harness to install one yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode