Stator magnets & JB Weld - pictures? - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 82 Old 11-25-2018, 09:34 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTDarin View Post
Try a final clean with acetone, some carb cleaners can leave a residue behind.
I used either lacquer cleaner or wax and grease remover for final wipedown. They both work well.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 82 Old 11-26-2018, 07:54 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

It would be good to see pics if you tear into it again.

"Sticking" to the rotor isn't critical. I no longer recommend trying to put JB Weld under the magnets because the epoxy in the gap forms a mechanical lock. The magnets are not flat/square on the ends, so as long as you get a bit of epoxy above the centerline of the magnet there is simply NO way they can move. Centrifugal force along with magnetic attraction keeps them in place as far as the whole group rotating inside the rotor.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #23 of 82 Old 11-26-2018, 07:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yeah, I didn't put it under the magnets, just in the gaps. I also worried about the mixture on the second go around and made sure that it was as close to a 50 50 on the JB Weld as possible. I thought I had a pic from the last time I did it, but I guess not. I'll take a pic this time as soon as I get in and after I repair it... Again.

One of these days a chunk of that stuff is gonna find its way into a bearing and my motor is gonna seize up. That'll be fun.

"Definitely do not sit on a DL1000. Big mistake. You'll end up buying one. Happened to me. True story."
-busarider54

"Purchasing a V-Strom from a Harley dealer does have poetic justice. Almost like removing a talented child from a meth house."
-ShortOnSkill

"I'm for moves that will help people get over the idea that it is ever okay to drink and drive."
-greywolf

Last edited by aTuWitty; 11-27-2018 at 01:08 AM.

post #24 of 82 Old 11-27-2018, 09:18 AM

You have two filters it would have to get through to hurt a bearing. The screen at the oil pump intake, and of course the oil filter. Doesn't mean it couldn't do harm, but more likely in the transmission than engine. Stuff like this tends to stay in the oil sump.

The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #25 of 82 Old 12-02-2018, 09:14 AM
Stromthusiast!

Loctite makes an epoxy primer that does work well,anhydrous alcohol to dip magnets in, light amount on back of mag doesn't hurt either.Try calling loctite tech line and see if there is a product they would recommend instead of JB weld.You aren't running exotic oil of some kind are you? You seem to be having some type of chem breakdown /JB usually work if properly prepped.I wonder if setting part in front of light heat source overnight would help...or waiting several days to put oil back in or both.I'll ask our fact loctite rep next time I see him{if I remember} let us know what resolves this please.
post #26 of 82 Old 12-02-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerphil View Post
Loctite makes an epoxy primer that does work well,anhydrous alcohol to dip magnets in, light amount on back of mag doesn't hurt either.Try calling loctite tech line and see if there is a product they would recommend instead of JB weld.You aren't running exotic oil of some kind are you? You seem to be having some type of chem breakdown /JB usually work if properly prepped.I wonder if setting part in front of light heat source overnight would help...or waiting several days to put oil back in or both.I'll ask our fact loctite rep next time I see him{if I remember} let us know what resolves this please.
I have talked with the Loctite tech guys and the JB Weld tech guys. I was running JB Weld on a final drive product I was selling and wanted to be sure it was the "right stuff". It is. The thing about STANDARD 24 HOUR CURE JB Weld that is somewhat unique is its temperature range. It can handle 400 degrees continuous, 500 degrees intermittent. It is also rated for full and continuous oil immersion. This is the only case where I have heard of any problems with the JB Weld coming apart. And there are hundreds of people that have used it on DL 1000's, SV 1000's, and even on Super Tenere clutch baskets. So there something wrong here with either contamination, age of product, mixing, or the prayer used to start the chemical reaction!

There are some amazing Loctite products. They recommended, and I use, some rather hard to find formulas of Loctite in my clutch basket modifications. And they might in fact have something you could use to "glue" the magnet. But we have proven gluing to the rotor isn't necessary. Centrifugal force and magnetic attraction will keep them against the rotor. The JB Weld simply provides a solid bridge filling the gap and a bit of help sticking to the rotor to keep the magnet spacing correct.

post #27 of 82 Old 12-02-2018, 04:06 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

This has been a huge help, my 2005 DL1000 with 16K has this issue, when I pulled the cover over the flywheel off 1/2 of the magnets stayed on the stator 1/2 stay on the flywheel and they were all easily removed. One of the magnets had a small dime sized chip on the concave side. I'm guessing the magnet needs to be replaced? Any recommendations?
What started as a dead battery has turned into a bit of a mess....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5307[1].JPG (56.6 KB, 7 views)
post #28 of 82 Old 12-02-2018, 05:20 PM

Welcome to the club! I have seen owners use the magnets that looked worse than yours and they seemed to work ok. I personally would want to find a replacement, but if I have to ride to work in a couple days, I too would have tried it!

We need a new sticky! "I have spare magnets, pm me!"

post #29 of 82 Old 12-02-2018, 08:30 PM
$tromtrooper

You'd think, given the, ahem, magnitude of the problem, Suzuki would make the magnets available as an individual item. But, sadly, you have to buy the entire flywheel to get the magnets.
realshelby likes this.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
post #30 of 82 Old 12-04-2018, 09:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
That right there sounds like a GREAT reason for a "magnet list". Maybe no one else has any spares of their own, I don't know. Wouldn't hurt to try, I reckon. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode