04 Vee - LED headlight install - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

123Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 171 Old 09-14-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Thumbs up 04 Vee - LED headlight install

I've been agonizing over LED headlights since my last bike. :-) After *way* too much research, I finally pulled the trigger on a pair earlier this week and hoped for the best. They arrived yesterday, I installed them, and must say: I'm happy! Here's what I ended up with.

I bought the H4 version of this set off ebay for my 04 DL1000. I liked them for a few reasons:
1. Phillips LED chips
2. No balast; just plug it in
3. No fan; I like riding in the dirt, and so far I'm always behind the leader, so...lots of dust. Figured a fan would get clogged in about a day.
4. Very inexpensive compared to others
5. Shipped from the USA

There was a "make an offer" button so I offered $28. The seller countered with $29.99, and I accepted. So I got them for less than $30. They only took a couple days to arrive because I'm only a couple hours away from where they were shipped from. :-) Here's the box:

I decided to read the instructions (odd for me!!), and found this "interesting" feature: you remove the mounting plate from the light, mount the plate in the bike, then push the light thru the factory rubber grommet into the plate, and twist to lock it into place...just like an 1156 bulb. Hmmm...how well is *that* going to work?
Here's the light with the plate removed:

Since it looked like you could install the light either "up" or "down", I did a quick compare between the original and the new bulbs. I immediately noticed that the LEDs have an absolutely *brilliantly* copied setup! OEM bulb has a "cup" under the low beam, and that filament points "up" (to reflect off the top of the reflector, which I suppose is what creates the low beam cutoff line). The LED bulbs have copied that setup, and there's a "cup" under the low beam. Awesome!

Ok, on to the show! I removed the right-hand light's dust cover, then removed the light. I test fitted the LED setup, and found, again brilliantly, that I wouldn't have to do *any* trimming at all! So I installed the plate into the housing:

Then I put the LED thru the dust cover, checked my orientation to be sure that when I locked the light in place the "cup" would be pointing up, poked the light thru the housing, twisted it, seated the dust cover, plugged it into the bike's connector, and BAM...I was done! I didn't for some reason get a picture of it installed. :-)

Low-beam comparison:

High-beam comparison:

I installed the 2nd one in about 1/3 the time it took to install the first one, and rode to work this morning with no issues, and my voltage with both lights on is higher now than it was with one OEM light unplugged.

I can't wait to ride in the dark now and test it out for real, and also can't wait to follow @Karlos to Auburn, CA on Saturday to see how annoying these lights are. :-)

I'm very, very pleased! And pending a night test, I'll say I recommend these lights for this year Vee!

(Please forgive the rotated pictures; they are all the correct orientation in my album...)
madstrom, Allytrash and Rides like this.

2004 V-Strom 1000 (currently broken - parts received - repairs in progress - snag hit - repairs on pause - unsnagged - repairs in progress)
Two Brothers with P1 tips, PCIII USB, SuperBrace Fork Brace, K&N filters, ROX bar risers, Kappa top and side cases, MadStad, Givi tall windshield, Givi engine guards, Sargent Seat, 12 volt air compressor, 530 Conversion, 17/44, SpeedoDRD, Rudolph Nose and Antlers

Last edited by WildDoktor; 09-15-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 171 Old 09-14-2017, 09:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Are those your wife's mittens you're wearing? Lights look pretty sweet, I spent sooooo much time agonizing over which to buy.

2004 DL1000
2004 KTM 525EXC plated
post #3 of 171 Old 09-14-2017, 09:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

In your third picture - with the three pronged ring removed - that's the key to happy LED installs on our - and other - bikes with rubber boots on the back of the headlights.

My first LED's did not have a removable ring and I couldn't use them past a trial given that I couldn't seal the back up. So if anyone's looking for LED's - make sure your's come with that removable three prong ring.

Glad you're happy - more light less power - and I kind of hate the off yellow of regular bulbs, they look so yesterday
Brockie and WildDoktor like this.

post #4 of 171 Old 09-14-2017, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
Are those your wife's mittens you're wearing? Lights look pretty sweet, I spent sooooo much time agonizing over which to buy.
Mittens don't have fingers, you brute!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2004 V-Strom 1000 (currently broken - parts received - repairs in progress - snag hit - repairs on pause - unsnagged - repairs in progress)
Two Brothers with P1 tips, PCIII USB, SuperBrace Fork Brace, K&N filters, ROX bar risers, Kappa top and side cases, MadStad, Givi tall windshield, Givi engine guards, Sargent Seat, 12 volt air compressor, 530 Conversion, 17/44, SpeedoDRD, Rudolph Nose and Antlers
post #5 of 171 Old 09-15-2017, 09:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

Wow, price getting to the realm of "why not get them?"
So you like them and they light the world up.
Do these make the Eastern Beaver wire harness unnecessary?
Not that a clean light envelope isn't a good thing but with the source being much cooler, are gloves and avoiding skin oils important to ward off the problems of getting a H4 bulb full of fingerprints?
post #6 of 171 Old 09-15-2017, 10:36 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Their lower draw makes the use of relays significantly less important. They will draw much more than relays though. It's a matter of degree. Using LEDs without relays will probably result in a small enough number of problems it will no longer be considered an issue.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html
post #7 of 171 Old 09-15-2017, 11:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the research and info! I just ordered a pair for my V-Strom. You should edit your first post and stipulate that you ordered the "H4" bulbs, as there are several choices to choose from.

Rmpl
madstrom and Paul13DL like this.

2011 V-Strom DL650A Black w/ABS
post #8 of 171 Old 09-15-2017, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmplstlskn View Post
Thanks for the research and info! I just ordered a pair for my V-Strom. You should edit your first post and stipulate that you ordered the "H4" bulbs, as there are several choices to choose from.

Rmpl
Good call; original post edited! (And re-edited; I'm pretty sure different years / sizes use different types of bulb...so be sure to get the one that fits your bike.)

Hope you like them as much as I do, but everybody's different of course; let us know how you like them!

Last edited by WildDoktor; 09-15-2017 at 04:59 PM.
post #9 of 171 Old 10-18-2017, 04:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

OP - thanks for posting this info with pictures.

I just installed the same bulbs in my 05 1k. I did have to make 6 cuts with scissors to get the LED bulb to pass through the rubber dust boot.

They sure are much brighter!
WildDoktor likes this.
post #10 of 171 Old 10-18-2017, 11:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Am I correct in assuming these would fit a 2015 650 ?

'15 DL650A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode