charging voltage rate - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 78 Old 12-04-2017, 08:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywithchickens View Post
Idle is 1300-1400rpm. I'll keep an eye on the voltage. Next ride I'll pay close attention to voltage levels and report back.
Took a short ride yesterday and paid close attention to voltage. Conditions: ~42F and cloudy, new-ish battery (~2months), 2004 Wee, Oxford heated grips, USB phone charger, Voltmeter connected directly to fuse block.

Riding with Oxford grips on 40% and phone charging via USB: 14.2-14.3V
Riding with nothing turned on: 14.4V

Idle with nothing on: 12.4V
Idle with grips on 40% and turn signal: 12.2-12.3V
Idle with grips on 40% and phone charging and turn signal: 11.9-12.2V

At idle, the voltage varies +/- 0.1V. Also, it seems like voltage drops ~0.1-0.2V over the first minute or so of idling.

The 11.9V surprised me. I pulled over to check my messages and noticed that voltage was lower than I've seen. Turn signals appear to pull reasonable power.

Bike rides perfectly. Starts quickly on first try every time. Aside from voltage measurement, I have no issues at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 78 Old 12-09-2017, 01:04 PM
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
Unfortunately, your stator seems to be on its way out.

The bike should be able to charge at idle. 12.4 V is not keeping up with running the fuel pumps, fan, and other "housekeeping" loads. It's balanced out by good charging at speed, though, so for now, you'll be OK.

I'm on my second stator since buying the bike, and am getting similar charging to yours. 12.7 V at idle, 13.7 V @ 5000 rpm. My voltage monitor LED starts showing green for "good" at about 3000 rpm.

When the stator was new back in January, the output was 14.4 V both at idle, and at 5000 rpm.

11000 miles and 11 months later, it can't make 14.4 V at all. Stator diagnosis revealed out-of-spec resistance on all legs of the stator, accompanied by insufficient voltage @ 5000 rpm. Visual inspection shows burned insulation.

This is incredibly frustrating. I am in the process of getting a free replacement stator under Suzuki's parts warranty. The stator should not burn itself out once a year.
post #23 of 78 Old 12-10-2017, 06:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBike View Post

The bike should be able to charge at idle. 12.4 V is not keeping up with running the fuel pumps, fan, and other "housekeeping" loads. It's balanced out by good charging at speed, though, so for now, you'll be OK.

I'm on my second stator since buying the bike, and am getting similar charging to yours. 12.7 V at idle, 13.7 V @ 5000 rpm. My voltage monitor LED starts showing green for "good" at about 3000 rpm.

When the stator was new back in January, the output was 14.4 V both at idle, and at 5000 rpm.

11000 miles and 11 months later, it can't make 14.4 V at all. Stator diagnosis revealed out-of-spec resistance on all legs of the stator, accompanied by insufficient voltage @ 5000 rpm. Visual inspection shows burned insulation.

This is incredibly frustrating. I am in the process of getting a free replacement stator under Suzuki's parts warranty. The stator should not burn itself out once a year.
Good info, thanks. Looks like it's time for a stator replacement!

post #24 of 78 Old 12-10-2017, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBike View Post

You should replace your R/R with a series, give that a try once the latest OEM stator model is installed. The first gen 1000's having the non encapsulated magnets in the rotors has been a big issue for many owners, although us 650 owners have still been burning up stators due to a quality control issue with the stators. Seems installing a series R/R makes sense, I believe the new 1000 has a series but not sure about the 650? Of course I would've already sold my bike were it as problematic as yours has been, but yet part of me would also want to conquer the issue as well.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #25 of 78 Old 12-10-2017, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guywithchickens View Post
Took a short ride yesterday and paid close attention to voltage. Conditions: ~42F and cloudy, new-ish battery (~2months), 2004 Wee, Oxford heated grips, USB phone charger, Voltmeter connected directly to fuse block.

Riding with Oxford grips on 40% and phone charging via USB: 14.2-14.3V
Riding with nothing turned on: 14.4V

Idle with nothing on: 12.4V
Idle with grips on 40% and turn signal: 12.2-12.3V
Idle with grips on 40% and phone charging and turn signal: 11.9-12.2V

At idle, the voltage varies +/- 0.1V. Also, it seems like voltage drops ~0.1-0.2V over the first minute or so of idling.

The 11.9V surprised me. I pulled over to check my messages and noticed that voltage was lower than I've seen. Turn signals appear to pull reasonable power.

Bike rides perfectly. Starts quickly on first try every time. Aside from voltage measurement, I have no issues at all.
Sounds normal and similar to my readings "have latest stator model", but I shall allow Greywolf to give his 2 cents.
DesertBike likes this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #26 of 78 Old 12-10-2017, 12:30 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
It would take a long time at idle to drain the battery. The only time I have seen numbers like that was with an old Electrosport stator. They were wound to give more total power but sacrificed power at idle to do it.
DesertBike likes this.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html
post #27 of 78 Old 12-10-2017, 02:03 PM
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
It would take a long time at idle to drain the battery. The only time I have seen numbers like that was with an old Electrosport stator. They were wound to give more total power but sacrificed power at idle to do it.
Interesting. I suppose there's always a tradeoff somewhere.

Suzuki appears to have traded off stator longevity for even power generation across RPMs.
post #28 of 78 Old 12-10-2017, 02:11 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Stator longevity appears to have been shortened by gluing the output wires in place before applying the final epoxy coating. The failures almost always come from the wires being able to move in the glued area and abrade their insulation coating off.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html
post #29 of 78 Old 12-10-2017, 02:16 PM
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
You should replace your R/R with a series, give that a try once the latest OEM stator model is installed. The first gen 1000's having the non encapsulated magnets in the rotors has been a big issue for many owners, although us 650 owners have still been burning up stators due to a quality control issue with the stators. Seems installing a series R/R makes sense, I believe the new 1000 has a series but not sure about the 650? Of course I would've already sold my bike were it as problematic as yours has been, but yet part of me would also want to conquer the issue as well.
Spot on, sir. Vee 2's received a series type R/R. It is the same model (Shindegen 847) sold by Roadstercycle as an upgrade for older DL1000s. Which is what I installed on my Vee.

I've thought about selling 'er off, sure, but at this point I'm pretty much married to her. Check back with me after another stator replacement or three, I may feel differently!
post #30 of 78 Old 12-10-2017, 09:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
I was flipping through the shop manual earlier today. I'll have to do the stator resistance check and see where I am. Is that the best diagnostic for a stator? Anything extra to learn by pulling it and inspecting?

I'm OK with replacing the stator if it's required. Don't want to drop $200 unnecessarily, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode