Chain took out my cases - Page 5 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

 65Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 61 Old 07-31-2017, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
sledjockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vantucky, WA
Posts: 947
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Wheel Drive View Post
Somehow I doubt that anyone that would bring a bike to a stealership for a chain (and sprocket?) replacement would be "up to the challenge" of doing a full engine swap. No disrespect to the OP; we all have our own skills and abilities. But advising someone to swap in a used engine is a pretty big deal for many people.

Pursue the legal / moral actions and recourse with that skeevy dealership first. But, if it doesn't work out and you are stuck with an engine-less bike, sell off the rolling chassis as-is after removing everything that you want, and go out and find a suitable used substitute. If you get another Vee1 you can transfer all your good farkles over to the new mount and be way ahead.
I take exception to your extremely rude and insulting presumption that I am not "up to the challenge." I took it in to get the chain and sprocket swapped because I did not have time with the amount of hours I was working. Some people do that. I took it in this time because I have the engine to my Ram 1500 ripped down to bare block that I am rebuilding. There really isn't much room in my garage for yet another project.

There definitely was disrespect meant and implied.

People like you or the very reason why I quit coming to this forum for a long time.
sledjockey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 61 Old 07-31-2017, 07:18 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
 
greywolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Evanston IL USA
Posts: 38,049
Garage
Both of you can cool it. This is a simple case of a mistaken assumption and not a good enough reason to get offended. Don't read more into a situation than is stated. At some times in our lives, we think we know more than we actually do or take offense when no offense is meant. I know I've been guilty on both counts more times than I'd like to remember.
Big B likes this.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
greywolf is offline  
post #43 of 61 Old 07-31-2017, 08:18 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
eagleeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Richland County Wisconsin
Posts: 1,042
Garage
Sledjockey,
I think GW hit the nail on the head here, but I do hope you go out and find that chain. The reason I say that is if it was me, it would drive me nuts not knowing.

Good luck,
Old Time Rider likes this.

2009 Suzuki DL650
2005 Yamaha RSTD
2002 Triumph Bonneville
1980 Yamaha XS650 chopper

The Best Bike is the Bike You Like
eagleeye is offline  
 
post #44 of 61 Old 07-31-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
sledjockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vantucky, WA
Posts: 947
Garage
For those that answered my question and gave me resources for parts, I really appreciate it.
sledjockey is offline  
post #45 of 61 Old 08-01-2017, 12:43 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Snownut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Land of the Beehive
Posts: 289
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledjockey View Post
I have the engine to my Ram 1500 ripped down to bare block that I am rebuilding. There really isn't much room in my garage for yet another project.
I've changed out several engines one of which was my 07 DL1000 from an engine I bought off Ebay. If you are capable of an engine rebuild it shouldn't be a big deal to swap out this engine for you, It really is a piece of cake.. Take off the plastics and tank, drain and unhook the coolant system, unhook the throttle body intake and electrics, your drive is already off, unbolt it from the frame and drop it out. As mentioned earlier take a photo diary of the tear down and you'll be good to go..

Not that I would discourage you from a legal battle but the time and money you put into it may be more valuable putting in a good used engine and getting back on the road, particularly if there is any kind of chance you might lose.

As convenient as dealers are I just plain don't trust the 21 year old that's working on your bike. When I buy a new bike, atv, or snowmobile the first thing I do is take it home and go through it to make sure it was put together correctly. My last two Vstroms (from different dealers) both had issues. I was not thrilled with the handling of my 2014 new and when I got home did my check over. 15lbs air pressure in both tires. My 2013 DL650 they forgot to tighten the brake master cylinder saddle and while driving it home the mirror and brake slid forward and down, along with the clutch adjustment nut wasn't tightened and spun all the way day by the time I got home. The last snowmobile I snowchecked I went flying over the hood when loading it my trailer because they forgot to tighten the handlebars. It seems like there is always something not right and because of that I just don't trust many dealers. I have one Suzuki dealer I now frequent and I now trust them, but they have had to earn that trust.
sledjockey and Old Time Rider like this.

2014 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 (Desi)
2014 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 (Delilah) Rental
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Misty)
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Army (Greta)
2007 Suzuki GS500E (Gina)
1987 Yamaha TW200 (Tina)
Snownut is offline  
post #46 of 61 Old 08-01-2017, 02:09 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
marcham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 635
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post

As convenient as dealers are I just plain don't trust the 21 year old that's working on your bike. .
This!

Most staff are seasonal and not formally trained. They charge $65 for an oil change, it costs them $20 to do. Stripped drain plug? Dont tell anyone, maybe the customer won't notice...



Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
sledjockey likes this.

2015 VSTROM 650 X ABS EXP
Previous rides: 2012 KLX250S, 2006 VT1100C2, 2002 KX125, 1999 SV650, 1987 GPZ305
Bikes I wish I had: Ducati 916, Harley Road King, KTM 500 EXC, BMW R1200RT, Honda CRF1000L, BMW R75

Last edited by marcham; 08-01-2017 at 12:04 PM.
marcham is offline  
post #47 of 61 Old 08-01-2017, 08:48 AM
$tromtrooper
 
hunt1moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Monroe, NC
Posts: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
I've changed out several engines one of which was my 07 DL1000 from an engine I bought off Ebay. If you are capable of an engine rebuild it shouldn't be a big deal to swap out this engine for you, It really is a piece of cake.. Take off the plastics and tank, drain and unhook the coolant system, unhook the throttle body intake and electrics, your drive is already off, unbolt it from the frame and drop it out. As mentioned earlier take a photo diary of the tear down and you'll be good to go..

Not that I would discourage you from a legal battle but the time and money you put into it may be more valuable putting in a good used engine and getting back on the road, particularly if there is any kind of chance you might lose.

As convenient as dealers are I just plain don't trust the 21 year old that's working on your bike. When I buy a new bike, atv, or snowmobile the first thing I do is take it home and go through it to make sure it was put together correctly. My last two Vstroms (from different dealers) both had issues. I was not thrilled with the handling of my 2014 new and when I got home did my check over. 15lbs air pressure in both tires. My 2013 DL650 they forgot to tighten the brake master cylinder saddle and while driving it home the mirror and brake slid forward and down, along with the clutch adjustment nut wasn't tightened and spun all the way day by the time I got home. The last snowmobile I snowchecked I went flying over the hood when loading it my trailer because they forgot to tighten the handlebars. It seems like there is always something not right and because of that I just don't trust many dealers. I have one Suzuki dealer I now frequent and I now trust them, but they have had to earn that trust.
On my 2012 Vee Adventure when I got it home the front axle pinch bolts were loose. Not to mention the side cases were on backwards.

2012 DL1000 Adventure (Tinkerbell)
PC-V, TRE, CR8EIX , ECM, K&N, RDL, PR4, PC-8, EB H4, WERKS, Madstad 22", 17/43 gearing, AdventureTech: Fork brace, shelf, mirror extenders, SpeedoDRD, wheel spacer, Head's-Up voltage monitor, Goldwing pegs, Sonic 1.1, Wolo Bad Boy, ExTuff Helmet Hook.
hunt1moore is offline  
post #48 of 61 Old 08-01-2017, 10:26 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Snownut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Land of the Beehive
Posts: 289
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
This!

Most staff is seasonal and not formally trained. They charge $65 for an oil change, it costs them $20 to do. Stripped drain plug? Dont tell anyone, maybe the customer won't notice...

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
I stripped a drain plug once and took it to a dealer to have them fix it. They had fits trying to get the timesert to work so finally they let me take their kit home and fix it myself. I remember growing up you always had the older experienced mechanic in the shop that took pride in his work. Kids these days seem to just be after a paycheck. Its not their bike and more times than not they could care less. I use to have a mechanic at a Polaris shop years ago that I loved. I had an Indy 650 that they had modded for me which cost me more than the sled and every time I would take it in he was so proud of it he would clean it like his own and even change exhaust springs free of charge if they were starting to tarnish. If it wasn't clean inside and out I started feeling bad if I took it in for something because he would spend so much time cleaning it.
Old Time Rider likes this.

2014 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 (Desi)
2014 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 (Delilah) Rental
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Misty)
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Army (Greta)
2007 Suzuki GS500E (Gina)
1987 Yamaha TW200 (Tina)
Snownut is offline  
post #49 of 61 Old 08-01-2017, 10:33 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
mjcujo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 534
I also had broken chain bust the engine case on my '07 Vee. Tooling up a gravel road in the middle of nowhere, 26 unpaved miles from the nearest one-saloon town. Judging by the twisted, shattered link, I'm guessing the tire managed to kick up a rock that got pinched between the chain and rear sprocket. I carry a couple extra master links and a riveting tool when I'm on remote trips, so it didn't result in a long hike out.

After getting the repair estimate, I decided to sell the bike as-is to my retired mechanic neighbor and by a 2014 V2. My neighbor bought a used engine on eBay and replaced it himself. Now we are riding partners and I love seeing the old grey lady back on the streets.

In the Portland area, you might give Junior at Sargents Motorsports (about 94th & Foster) a call. He often has a line on good used parts (and he rides a Vee).

Best of luck!
sledjockey likes this.

Note to self: Never ride a motorcycle in stilettos and a miniskirt.
mjcujo is offline  
post #50 of 61 Old 08-02-2017, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
sledjockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vantucky, WA
Posts: 947
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcujo View Post
I also had broken chain bust the engine case on my '07 Vee. Tooling up a gravel road in the middle of nowhere, 26 unpaved miles from the nearest one-saloon town. Judging by the twisted, shattered link, I'm guessing the tire managed to kick up a rock that got pinched between the chain and rear sprocket. I carry a couple extra master links and a riveting tool when I'm on remote trips, so it didn't result in a long hike out.

After getting the repair estimate, I decided to sell the bike as-is to my retired mechanic neighbor and by a 2014 V2. My neighbor bought a used engine on eBay and replaced it himself. Now we are riding partners and I love seeing the old grey lady back on the streets.

In the Portland area, you might give Junior at Sargents Motorsports (about 94th & Foster) a call. He often has a line on good used parts (and he rides a Vee).

Best of luck!
I will be over that way tomorrow. I will schedule some time to stop by.

Thanks!

"I will stop the motor of the world."
John Galt

http://ageofdecadence.com
sledjockey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome