2009 1000 running rough at 3200-3900 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-24-2017, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

2009 1000 running rough at 3200-3900

Bike is coughing into the airbox at 3500+/- rpms. Just had a full service done at the dealer. (Plugs, air filter oil....) and had the valves checked and at 30k they are spot on !!! So is it as simple as syncing the throttle bodies ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-25-2017, 01:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
welcome to the Vee. this behavior is normal....farting, coughing, spiting, popping yada yada yada and always between 3k-4k.

easily fixed with an ecu remap or the installation of an aftermarket power commander 3 or 5.

or, you can just power through that rpm band and live with it.

'08 DR650, '07 DL1000
"And anyways, if they don't have motorcycles in heaven, I'd rather go to hell. I'm pretty sure they will have loads of them there." (deelip, 2016)
post #3 of 13 Old 04-26-2017, 02:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevee View Post
welcome to the Vee. this behavior is normal....farting, coughing, spiting, popping yada yada yada and always between 3k-4k.

easily fixed with an ecu remap or the installation of an aftermarket power commander 3 or 5.

or, you can just power through that rpm band and live with it.

The first Vee I had a few years ago (2012 DL1000) did that. I sold that bike. Fast forward to March of this year, saw another bike just like it and bought it used from a dealer. This bike doesn't have that problem, but after I got it home from the dealer and started poking around, I found that it's got a PCFC (Power Commander Fuel Controller) installed. Didn't even know it had it.

In any case, this new bike I have doesn't have any such issues. Don't know if it's the PCFC that's preventing it, but I'm not gonna mess with it. PCFC is worth a shot, IMO.
bobbyvstrom likes this.

post #4 of 13 Old 04-26-2017, 02:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Only had my bike a couple months. 03 v, prior the throttle sucked, and it was a bear to ride. Throttle surged and choked and popped, I was quickly regretting buying this bike. Purchased a used PC3 on Fleabay and instantly it's rideable and enjoyable. I literally grabbed the first map I saw on the PC3 map thread here and it's like a whole different motorcycle. Best $150 I have spent on the bike so far. I could not recommend enough.

I did sync my throttle bodies and aligned my secondary's and it helped a little. But did not fix it.

"Ride it like you stole it!"
post #5 of 13 Old 04-27-2017, 02:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

There are numerous threads about your issue. You need to get your ECU flashed to provide a richer low end mixture or get a PCFC to solve the problem. The numbered PCs will do it too, but unless you can get a used one, you will pay a bunch more for something with features you don't need and can't use. Vees of your vintage nearly all run too lean in that rpm range. The above is how you fix it.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-11-2017, 08:43 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenoches View Post
Purchased a used PC3 on Fleabay and instantly it's rideable and enjoyable. I literally grabbed the first map I saw on the PC3 map thread here and it's like a whole different motorcycle. Best $150 I have spent on the bike so far. I could not recommend enough.
Noob here, sorry to be late to the party.
Are the PC3s model specific, or will any PC3 work on any bike?

Thanks.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-11-2017, 06:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by williecoyote View Post

Thanks.
Not sure but I think the difference will be the connectors. It will have to have the right ends to hook to your wiring harness. You can go to the "dynojet power commander" web site. Might find the info you need.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-13-2017, 12:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by williecoyote View Post

Thanks.
Fairly certain they are bike specific. If I remember correctly they could technically be programmed for other bikes, but as said before the connectors would than be the problem.

"Ride it like you stole it!"
post #9 of 13 Old 06-13-2017, 09:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

OK, thanks guys.

I will make sure everything is adjusted properly, and then install a PCFC.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-17-2017, 12:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

Good info here. I find my 2007 to be pretty decent after syncing throttle bodies and adjusting the tps. I had not yet read about the secondary adjustment. What is that supposed to do? I seem to remember seeing someone state you can remove them? That doesn't seem right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode