Flywheel with a problem - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 09-11-2016, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Question Flywheel with a problem

I have a 2007 DL1000 with the dreaded magnet issue. I know there are several threads that deal with and explain how to fix it. I have read those and just decided to order a new flywheel. So I am looking at the flywheel and see that it uses the same puller as my other Suzuki's (also same problem) so I went and got it, screwed it into the flywheel, and then hit it with the impact gun and it never tightened up. It just spins in the flywheel like the threads are stripped. I then tried to back it out and no luck there either. The puller is stuck in the flywheel and while it spins freely, it will not go in either direction. I have tried putting pressure on it and slowly backing it out with no luck there either. Has anyone ever tried to heat the flywheel up and pull it off? Looking for ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-12-2016, 08:52 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Heat won't help. You are going to have to get your puller(?) out of there. IIRC, that is a 20mm x 1.5 pitch thread. I don't know what the threads will look like after you get your puller out, but that is the only way you are going to have success. If the threads are too buggered up to fit the proper bolt to loosen the rotor, you can weld a new nut on the end of the rotor and remove it. I have never been able to get one loose with a standard gear pulling tool with the jaws on it. Takes a bolt through the center and even then some hammer taps and cussing. Lots of cussing involved with some of them.

But, there may be an easier way. Assuming you can get your puller out, why not just fix the rotor you have now? If you have all the magnets it can be done in place. I would rather have a "fixed" rotor than a new one if I were keeping the bike. ( I would "fix" a new rotor before installing one.....). These JB Weld fixed rotors have shown no problems and some have been in place several years and thousands of mile.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #3 of 5 Old 09-12-2016, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

If I can get the puller out I may just do that. The bolt type puller was the correct size and I have never had a bolt or anything that you could turn easily by hand that you couldn't get out.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-13-2016, 05:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

Sounds like a job for one of those "slide hammer" dent / bearing pullers. My local NAPA has one for rent / borrowing.

I think a "hammer puller" set from Harbor Freight is about $30.

Austin

2002 DL1000 - 70K of joy, so far...
1978 GS1000 - One owner, still putt'n
post #5 of 5 Old 09-09-2019, 02:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Anyone have a flywheel magnet for an 06 DL1000? Some other years will work! Hit me up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode