StromTrooper banner

Throttle behavior?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  LarryB 
#1 ·
Shoulda kept my mouth shut, and not asked last week when to call it quits http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=31996 - Sunday in Minnesohta we had winds gusting to 50, sleet and snow. So I took it as an opportunity to sync my throttle bodies. Given several interruptions and my meager mechanical experience it was an all-day job, even with the excellent sticky how-to here, but it was definitely worth it: my engine is *much* smoother now, idle at 1100 is rock-steady, and it seems to have added a couple of hundred rpms to the low-end useful range of 3rd and 4th gear. And now I'm intimately familiar with the undersides of my throttle bodies. :)

One odd observation came out of this though: with the gearbox in neutral, it seems to be impossible to smoothly increase the revs from idle all the way up. From 1100 to 1600 is nice and linear, then the tiniest bit of additional pressure on the throttle and the revs jump to around 2300, from there it becomes nice and smooth again. Some (older) review of the Vee complained a bit about jumpiness off idle, but I have no idea how this behavior in neutral would affect brake-throttle transitions under real load.

Is this a property of the injector map? Should I care? Would a PCIII or Dobeck TFI fix it, assuming that it actually is something that needs to be fixed?

Greetings, Jim

See less See more
#2 ·
You should ignore it....you are increasing RPM's while in nuetral. How does it run when you are "actually" riding, isn't that all which matters? Both Strom models do tend to have a sensitive throttle response, kind of the nature of the beast. Rack up some miles on that engine, it gets smoother as time goes on.

#3 ·
Yeah, that's kind of what I figured - just trying to understand better how the bike works, not complaining as such. Saturday (before the cold front hit) I spent a few early-morning hours in a huge parking lot near home. In addition to the standard quick stops, swerves, weaves etc. I played with some of the exercises from the Total Control book - brake-throttle transitions in a straight line, and driving around a 40-foot circle. Conclusion: I suck, especially at fine throttle control in first/second gear. So after discovering this weird jump in revs while doing the TBS I just wondered whether it could be contributing to my suckiness - so I could feel a little better :). If it gets reasonably warm again I'll try the same exercises on my wife's FZ6 - inline-fours are a completely different beast.

P.S.: for the other newbies out there - get out there and practice! Even though I wasn't happy with myself re. the more extreme cornering exercises, it was still a lot of fun. And several dozen quick stops and swerves (vs. the maybe five you get to do in the MSF course) provided some good insights.

#4 ·
I noticed that when raising the idle (using the screw) to do the TBS, there's a tiny fraction of a zillionth of a mm difference between 1500 and 2500. That's about the only time it bothers me though.

I only started riding last year, and the DL1000 is my first bike. Took me a long time to get smooth with the throttle. For poor newbie me, it's a bit on the sensitive side. Nearly 18,000 miles later, I've got it down where I can be pretty subtle with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.