DL 1000 Running Issues!!!! - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 592 Old 08-24-2008, 06:38 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowzer View Post
//
Every single experience related to the purchase of this V-Strom DL1000 has been horrible! I've been lied to, insulted, forgotten about, laughed at, you name it happened!!!! Then when the bike does arrive and I get my first ride on my new motorcycle... it dies four times!!!! Not to mention cutting out while running at 2500 or 2600 RPM!!!! I'm sick to my stomach and mad!!//
By all means post as much detail as possible about your grievances, including the name of the dealer, year you bought, when you took delivery, and the circumstances of the stalling.

2005 DL650 (sold) | 2009 DL650A (sold) | 2008 Tiger 1050 ABS | 2012 WR250R | 2008 CRF100F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 592 Old 08-24-2008, 06:56 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
To make matters worse, the first thing out of my wife's mouth was, "I told you we should have got the BMW."
Problems with the Vstrom are few and far between. Not so with new BMWs.

-Tom (DL650AL2) (KA1TOX) (E-I-E-I-O)

This message and images are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. http://creativecommons.org
post #13 of 592 Old 08-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Is it wrong of me to think that the NEW bike should be running correctly?
All in all it would not be a big deal, it's just compounded by the very poor treatment that I got. Help me out here, why do you guys think it's normal to have to "fix" a new motorcycle? I mean, TBS, PC111, idle adj.? I will do what I have to so the bike will run right but why? I would think the dealers would want a correctly running machine to leave the shop, no?
As for the BMW, I don't mean to compare, it's just the dealer was nice and respectful. I realize BMW has problems too.
It's not drama so much as selling a bike that worked well to get one that's new and not right. (yet)

post #14 of 592 Old 08-24-2008, 07:28 PM
$tromtrooper

There are good dealers and bad dealers for every single brand. You found one for Suzukis. Others have found the ones for BMW's.

Your bike is under factory warranty if it's new. Take it to another dealer, the work doesn't have to be performed by the dealer you bought it from.

Scott Craig - Nashville, TN
Red '06 Suzuki DL650 - Red '07 Honda VFR800 - My Bike Page
post #15 of 592 Old 08-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Like GJ1994 said, make sure your idle is set correctly. If it's too low it can make your engine die coming to a stop. This is pretty common for new bikes from what I can figure.

If you're cruising at 2500 rpm you're really doing yourself and your bike no favors. Most will agree that a 3500 rpm cruising speed is about the minimum. Sure your bike will pull from down low but it really doesn't want to be ridden down in the basement. Give it some gas and see if that doesn't help out some.

Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #16 of 592 Old 08-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCraig View Post
There are good dealers and bad dealers for every single brand. You found one for Suzukis. Others have found the ones for BMW's.

Your bike is under factory warranty if it's new. Take it to another dealer, the work doesn't have to be performed by the dealer you bought it from.
Yeah, that's the best idea. After walking the dog and a nice shower, I realized that I was mad because I really wanted to be done with my dealer. I'l bump up the idle and check it out, then I will use another dealer from now on.
post #17 of 592 Old 08-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisbonian View Post
Like GJ1994 said, make sure your idle is set correctly. If it's too low it can make your engine die coming to a stop. This is pretty common for new bikes from what I can figure.

If you're cruising at 2500 rpm you're really doing yourself and your bike no favors. Most will agree that a 3500 rpm cruising speed is about the minimum. Sure your bike will pull from down low but it really doesn't want to be ridden down in the basement. Give it some gas and see if that doesn't help out some.
I will check the idle and bump it up, no problem.
As far as 2500 rpm, I was/am just trying to run the engine at different speeds to aid in break-in. I was told to stay under 5000 rpm and run steady all through the range until first check-up. I do think it might lug down there, but I thought I was doing what they recommend.
post #18 of 592 Old 08-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCraig View Post

Nope, Bowzer, Suzuki goes out of the way to find the worst possible dealers anywhere. How car and bike companies stay in business with the way they treat customers astounds me.

Suzuki made a nine tenths bike with the VStrom. It seems to be their habit, too, as they have a history of it. However, sort out the extra tenth and it will make your hog look like a pile of used tractor parts.

'04 650, and goshdarnit it's fun - matte silver (#9 in the Silver 'Strom Club)
farewell to an '81 KZ550, '83 GPz750, '83 V45 Sabre, R-Reg GT380, '84 GPz550, early '70s DT175, and a '72 Peugeot 102
post #19 of 592 Old 08-24-2008, 08:09 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Is it wrong of me to think that the NEW bike should be running correctly?
All in all it would not be a big deal, it's just compounded by the very poor treatment that I got. Help me out here, why do you guys think it's normal to have to "fix" a new motorcycle? I mean, TBS, PC111, idle adj.? I will do what I have to so the bike will run right but why? I would think the dealers would want a correctly running machine to leave the shop, no?
As for the BMW, I don't mean to compare, it's just the dealer was nice and respectful. I realize BMW has problems too.
It's not drama so much as selling a bike that worked well to get one that's new and not right. (yet)
Please detail who you bought the bike from, when you took delivery, and if you've contacted the dealer or been back for service? The problem you reference can be the result of poor setup. This is not unknown.

Fixing the stalling is generally relatively straightforward and may involve balancing the throttle bodies and putting 2-5,000 miles on the bike. These things are so tight from the factory that you either have to beat on them, or be patient. My fuel mileage increased about 10% now that I've passed 5,000 miles. The DL1000 is not as smooth as the 650: it's a price you pay for more power.

Fixing your wife's desire to own a BMW is not easily remedied. Corporations like Harley Davidson, BMW, Nike, and others spend immense amounts of money on their brand to influence consumer behavior. They have been extremely successful doing so: people actually define their lives in terms of their purchase of these products.

Suzuki does not charge extra for their brand. Many of us here have owned one or more BMW's. We're happy to buy a motorcycle that fits our needs, without the excess price paid to "branding."

But please give us more details about your purchase, because frankly, without more details of who you bought it from, what their response has been, and how much time has elapsed, IMHO you are sounding like a troll. Most states have lemon laws that would allow you to return the bike with unaddressed drivability problems, but you have to give the dealer opportunities to fix the problem, and document your efforts to have them fix it.

2005 DL650 (sold) | 2009 DL650A (sold) | 2008 Tiger 1050 ABS | 2012 WR250R | 2008 CRF100F

Last edited by garandman; 08-24-2008 at 08:11 PM.
post #20 of 592 Old 08-24-2008, 08:23 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Nope, Bowzer, Suzuki goes out of the way to find the worst possible dealers anywhere. How car and bike companies stay in business with the way they treat customers astounds me.
I disagree. I'm completely satisfied with the service department at the dealership I use. I've got an extended warranty through them that includes all of my scheduled maintenance. After 24,000 miles worth of service I have zero complaints.

They have two stores. One sells Suzuki and Yamaha, the other sells Honda. When I bought my VFR it came from the Honda side of the dealership. If I had been dissatisfied with the Suzuki dealer I'd have gotten it elsewhere.

I still maintain that as with all motor vehicles there are good dealerships and there are bad. I'm pleased with the service I've gotten on both my bikes and I've recommended both these dealerships numerous times.

Scott Craig - Nashville, TN
Red '06 Suzuki DL650 - Red '07 Honda VFR800 - My Bike Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode