side panel removal with Givi crash bars - solution - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 02-28-2014, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

side panel removal with Givi crash bars - solution

I have read all the threads on this issue here that I could find (apparently this is not so much an issue on the Wee). Especially on the right side, that black fake bumper and vent, that is part of the side panel, doesn't fit between the radiator hoses, expansion tank, and the Givi bars if you try to pull the panel up, forward or down. Solutions discussed in the threads seem to be
-- to take the Givi's off every time you want the side panel off,
-- replace the Givi's with another brand,
-- become a contortionist and unscrew the screws holding the black fake bumper/vent prior to removing the side panel, then reverse the process for installation
-- remove the black fake bumper/vent and ride without it

So I was thinking that a much easier solution may be to trim the backside of that fake bumper/vent of that excessive plastic so it can get past the expansion tank when pulling the side panel forward and down. Since I could not find this concept as an idea for a solution discussed in any of the threads, I wondered, What am I missing in my thinking?

On the backside of the plastic bumper/vent there are two screws near its center. It appears that there is a "wall" of plastic an inch tall running from screw to screw around the outside edge. From what I can tell, that is what immediately stops my panel from coming forward and off, because that wall rubs against the expansion tank. I was thinking that cutting that off with my Dremel would give the panel room to slide by the expansion tank. So, I did.

Before and after photos attached. The entire left side panel now slides forward and up to come out in one piece with the Givi bars in place. Easy peasy.

Just FYI.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cut down this wall - before.jpg (88.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg cut down this wall - after.jpg (92.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg wall rubs on expansion tank - before.jpg (95.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg wall rubs on expansion tank - after.jpg (89.3 KB, 48 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-28-2014, 01:41 PM
Stromthusiast!

Hey Yarz1 that's an outstanding job. Glad you solved the problem for us and thanks for sharing. I'm going to tackle this too. Great time saver.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-28-2014, 06:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

My Vee is wearing SW-Motech bars, and while it was just barely possible to remove the side panels with these in place, it was a gigantic paint-scraping pain in the arse.

I made the same modification to my side panels last year, and it makes life much easier. No negatives that I can discover.

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode