Question on DL1000 Fork Brace - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 04-19-2013, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Question on DL1000 Fork Brace

I purchased a new 2012 DL1000 this year and I only have a few hundred miles on it. My riding so far has been two lane pavement and dirt roads. Some of the roads are smooth and some are extremely rough (frost heave damage, torn up pavement, washboard dirt roads, etc.). So far I have not noticed any issues with the handling or stability. I have noticed that people say that a fork brace is their #1 FARKLE.

I am assuming that next winter I will probably do the Tokico front brake upgrade. At that point I think a fork brace would be a good idea.

I am curious as to what problems people are solving by installing a fork brace?

Thanks,
Bruce

2014 DL1000 Adventure - (best bike I've owned until the dirt road ends)
2006 KLR 650
Some other bikes I've owned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-19-2013, 08:56 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

I don't think I would call a fork brace a problem solver. But is sure does improve the feel and feedback from the front suspension! Even at slow speeds the steering felt more "tight". Under braking it does keep some of the squirm out of the front end especially under hard braking. You have heard some describe modified front suspensions as being more "planted" and I will have to say the fork brace can give a similar improvement.

What you have to remember is that if either of the fork tubes flex it actually moves the axle the wheel is mounted on. Moving the axle is just like moving the handlebars. Eliminate some of the flex and you can see how the front would seem a LOT more stable.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #3 of 18 Old 04-19-2013, 09:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

I found things like passing semis on the Interstate to be a lot more stable with the brace. It also calmed down some headshake I'd get at Interstate speeds with all the luggage on.

Very much worth the investment.

Go hakafugu yourself.

post #4 of 18 Old 04-19-2013, 09:16 AM
Stromthusiast!

The fork brace makes a huge improvement. It makes the what the front tire is doing more direct to the handlebars. As for brakes, I have the 4 piston upgrade, and while it's good and worthwhile, there are other steps you should take first. HH/sintered brake pads are first, followed by braided steel brake lines, then the GSXR calipers and adapters.

'03 DL1000 - "The Vee"
Mod list - Oxford heated overgrips. Garmin GPS w/Aquabox RAM mount. Mirror extenders. Givi V35 saddlebags, engine guards, and Kappa top box. Adventure Tech fork brace, wheel spacer, sidestand foot, and peg lowering kit. Gafler braided front brake & clutch lines. K&N air filter. Pyramid Fenda Extenda. GO Cruise throttle lock. Touratech folding shift lever. Rad guard. GSXR 4 piston brakes with SV Racing brackets. Yosh timing cover. SW Motech center stand and crossbar. Eastern Beaver headlight relay. 12 O'Clock Labs Speedo DRD. Werks clutch basket. Corbin seat.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-19-2013, 10:16 AM
Stromthusiast!

I slightly disagree with Craig. Yes to the fork brace. Then do either the 4 piston brake upgrade or the HH pads on the stock calipers. The original pads on the stock calipers always stop the bike, but they have the wooden feel and require more lever force. The HH pads on the stock calipers do not fit the 4 piston calipers, so consider those if you're not planning on the 4 piston upgrade anytime soon. My stock brake lines give me a firm feel. I'll change to stainless brake lines when the stock lines become deteriorated and the stock replacements cost more than aftermarket stainless.

(By the way, I had a stainless brake line blow out on my truck. The teflon inner tube has less flex fatigue resistance than stock EPDM. If the inner tube fails the brake line blows out.)

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-19-2013, 10:25 AM
$tromtrooper

Went with a forkbrace and ATV bars with a crossbrace. To me the ride seems more planted both on and off pavement.

06 DL1000
2007 Royal Star Tour Deluxe
post #7 of 18 Old 04-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

For as inexpensive Rick's forkbrace is, it is a no brainer. It really does solidify the front end. I noticed it most when entering drive ways on an angle that have large 2" lips. It used to just wiggle over them, but now it goes over as one unit.

[B]2003 DL1000 K3[/B][LIST][*]SonicSprings 1.0 front suspension[*]BMW R1100RT/P rear shock[/LIST]“Rebellion to tyranny is obedience to God.”
― Thomas Jefferson
post #8 of 18 Old 04-19-2013, 11:59 AM
Banned

i bought one. didnt really need one. i cant tell if it made any difference in handling but, it looks cool so, i guess it was worth it. :-)
post #9 of 18 Old 04-19-2013, 03:23 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Fork Brace: As stated before, bike feels more planted around turns and passing in turbulent air. (ie semi's and such).
My opinion is that Suzuki should have the fork brace as OEM. Have not considered brake upgrade, but I can see where bike would benifit.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-21-2013, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Thanks for the info. I'll have to move one up on my FARKLE list. I do end up riding over a lot of rough edges at an angle.

2014 DL1000 Adventure - (best bike I've owned until the dirt road ends)
2006 KLR 650
Some other bikes I've owned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode