Great Canadian Chip Trucks - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Canadian Troopers For those up north!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 08-25-2008, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
rhbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rideau Ferry, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 593
Great Canadian Chip Trucks

Saturday went for a ride to attend Cottagers meeting up near Haliburton. on way back throughh Norland stopped at the local chip truck next to the grocery store at the lights to raise my cholesterol intake - ordered fries and pop and pop was free - according to the owner - bikers get free pop with every order.

Canada eh-gotta love it. Beautiful day for a ride and photo taking.

Safe rides

Bob

Necessity may be the mother of invention, but desperation is it's father........... (Bell)

'06 DL650
rhbell is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 08-25-2008, 11:30 AM
$tromtrooper
 
Heavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The gateway to Cottage Country, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,406
There is a guy about 1-1/2 blocks from my house. Awesome fries, but way too easy. I've at least started to walk to pick them up instead of driving.

DL1000K6
Proud to be a Road Toad...Member #5
Heavy is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 08-25-2008, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
rhbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rideau Ferry, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 593
Years ago my 3 daughters came up with a ranking system for Chip truck fries (from worst to best)
1) killers! - never again
2) alright but wouldn't do again
3) OK - could have been a bit better - too many little crunchy bits
4) pretty decent - I would risk losing a hand to steal some of Dad's
5) I would consider killing my sister to get her fries.

Fortunately we've never hit a 5 but have had a few 4s - namely - Pembroke, Brockville and Monifeith Fish and Chips (now called Seaway) in Monifeith Scotland. On that last one, the visits were 17 years apart and the owner remembered me when I stopped in the second time - that's customer service_

Nothing like throwing yourself into your research I always say..

Safe Rides,
Bob

Necessity may be the mother of invention, but desperation is it's father........... (Bell)

'06 DL650
rhbell is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 Old 08-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
sturgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 538
Fish'n chip wagon on the dock in Killarney. Chips are pretty good, perch is out of this world. We've done several canoe trips up there where we pretty much starve ourselves the last day just so we can eat even more when we come out!

sturgeon is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 08-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 124
Bud the Spud
Spring Garden Road, Halifax
A definite candidate for Cat5 on your rankings.
CowtownBB is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 08-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
exsporty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbell View Post
Years ago my 3 daughters came up with a ranking system for Chip truck fries (from worst to best)
1) killers! - never again
2) alright but wouldn't do again
3) OK - could have been a bit better - too many little crunchy bits
4) pretty decent - I would risk losing a hand to steal some of Dad's
5) I would consider killing my sister to get her fries.

Fortunately we've never hit a 5 but have had a few 4s - namely - Pembroke, Brockville and Monifeith Fish and Chips (now called Seaway) in Monifeith Scotland. On that last one, the visits were 17 years apart and the owner remembered me when I stopped in the second time - that's customer service_

Nothing like throwing yourself into your research I always say..

Safe Rides,
Bob
Scotland wins hands down. Anstruthers in Fife was voted the best in the UK. Very expensive though. I liked the chippie in St. Andrews. Anyhow, sorry to hijack.

Vee K7- no mods other than sheepskin and a Shad top box.
exsporty is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 08-25-2008, 04:46 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
The Shepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Barrie Ontario
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
Fish'n chip wagon on the dock in Killarney. Chips are pretty good, perch is out of this world. We've done several canoe trips up there where we pretty much starve ourselves the last day just so we can eat even more when we come out!
That's Herberts, the big red bus. I must make a trip up there next year.

Easily the best fish and chips in Ontario. I've done the 700km round trip on the V-Strom for lunch as it's that good.

Ian

'07 KLX250S - Road
'00 CBR600F4 - Track

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page" - St. Augustine

Last edited by The Shepherd; 08-25-2008 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Additional info
The Shepherd is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 08-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
The Shepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Barrie Ontario
Posts: 636
Don Juan's, on Front St. downtown Toronto right infront of the convention center and across from the CBC building. I go there for something to eat when they have the December bike show on.

The fries are pretty good and the owner of the truck is a very unique individual. He's good for a couple of laughs, escpecially if you have a female companion with you. There is a reason he's called "Don Juan".

Ian

'07 KLX250S - Road
'00 CBR600F4 - Track

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page" - St. Augustine
The Shepherd is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 08-25-2008, 04:56 PM
$tromtrooper
 
Heavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The gateway to Cottage Country, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shepherd View Post
That's Herberts, the big red bus. I must make a trip up there next year.

Easily the best fish and chips in Ontario. I've done the 700km round trip on the V-Strom for lunch as it's that good.
So, what are you up to on Thursday?

DL1000K6
Proud to be a Road Toad...Member #5
Heavy is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 08-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
sturgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy View Post
So, what are you up to on Thursday?
Tempting for me, but sadly I 'volunteered' to be on call this weekend so my guys could all get away for a few extra days. They all now owe me big time.

sturgeon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome