2007 DL650 Skidplate Search - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Canadian Troopers For those up north!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 06-19-2007, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
silverstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Tweed Ontario
Posts: 1,458
2007 DL650 Skidplate Search

Does anyone know of a skidplate that will attach to a 650k7 equiped with the Suzuki engine guard and centrestand? I'd like to find one that will attach without modifying the bike.

Thanks.

SS
silverstrom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 06-20-2007, 03:25 AM
$tromtrooper
 
K1W1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 15,739
What is a Suzuki engine guard?
K1W1 is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 06-20-2007, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
silverstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Tweed Ontario
Posts: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
What is a Suzuki engine guard?
Suzuki Canada calls it an engine guard. It is available as an accessory in the Canadian 2007 street/dual sport booklet. I think I have heard it referred to on the site as crash bars as well. I suppose Suzuki Canada is trying to put a positive spin on things by avoiding the word crash!

SS
silverstrom is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 Old 06-20-2007, 09:46 AM
$tromtrooper
 
rhbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rideau Ferry, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 593
I have Suz engine guards on my 06 DL650. Unless they have changed for 07 they are aftermarket Sw-Motech brand and the SWM skid plate fits fine - I have it on mine. You can compare pictures of the two on the SW-M website and I had verified this with the folks at Twisted Throttle prior to ordering the skid plate - which the dealer at the time did not carry. Again - mines an 06 but should be good place to start looking.

Safe Riding
Bob

Necessity may be the mother of invention, but desperation is it's father........... (Bell)

'06 DL650
rhbell is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 06-20-2007, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
silverstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Tweed Ontario
Posts: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbell View Post
I have Suz engine guards on my 06 DL650. Unless they have changed for 07 they are aftermarket Sw-Motech brand and the SWM skid plate fits fine - I have it on mine. You can compare pictures of the two on the SW-M website and I had verified this with the folks at Twisted Throttle prior to ordering the skid plate - which the dealer at the time did not carry. Again - mines an 06 but should be good place to start looking.

Safe Riding
Bob
Thanks for your help. My engine guard says Suzuki on it. Does yours have the Suzuki name on the front of it too?

SS
silverstrom is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 06-20-2007, 10:24 AM
$tromtrooper
 
Night_Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: N 51.01.900 W 114.05.900
Posts: 1,187
Trust him the SW Motech skid plate will work. A buddy & I have them comming for our Stroms: an 05 with Suzuki guards & an 07 with Givi guards

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstrom View Post
Thanks for your help. My engine guard says Suzuki on it. Does yours have the Suzuki name on the front of it too?

SS

Type @ Ya'll Later
Night_Wolf



2007 DL650abs Wee Strom
VSRI 1083/MIG 2625
A Newfie & Damm Proud Of It
Night_Wolf is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 06-20-2007, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
silverstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Tweed Ontario
Posts: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Wolf View Post
Trust him the SW Motech skid plate will work. A buddy & I have them comming for our Stroms: an 05 with Suzuki guards & an 07 with Givi guards
Thanks Night Wolf. Do you know the Canadian price of the SW Motech skidplate? Also, did you have to order online or were you able to find a dealer who could get it for you?

SS
silverstrom is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 06-21-2007, 11:53 AM
$tromtrooper
 
Night_Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: N 51.01.900 W 114.05.900
Posts: 1,187
Ordered online through AMotostuff for $200.00 usd. With the Canadian dollar on a high right now prices in the USA are very attractive. Have them ship via US Post office as UPS/FedX charge usurious brokerage fees. Canada Post will charge at least $5.00 and maybe duties, but UPS/FedX charge $40.00 for customs clearance plus GST & duties. Have ordered over $700.00 worth of product from Amotostuff with absolutely no issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstrom View Post
Thanks Night Wolf. Do you know the Canadian price of the SW Motech skidplate? Also, did you have to order online or were you able to find a dealer who could get it for you?

SS

Type @ Ya'll Later
Night_Wolf



2007 DL650abs Wee Strom
VSRI 1083/MIG 2625
A Newfie & Damm Proud Of It
Night_Wolf is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 06-21-2007, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
silverstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Tweed Ontario
Posts: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Wolf View Post
Ordered online through AMotostuff for $200.00 usd. With the Canadian dollar on a high right now prices in the USA are very attractive. Have them ship via US Post office as UPS/FedX charge usurious brokerage fees. Canada Post will charge at least $5.00 and maybe duties, but UPS/FedX charge $40.00 for customs clearance plus GST & duties. Have ordered over $700.00 worth of product from Amotostuff with absolutely no issues
Thanks once again Night Wolf. This sounds like the way to go. You're right about US items being a bargain right now.

SS
silverstrom is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 06-21-2007, 04:20 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 94
Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Wolf View Post
Ordered online through AMotostuff for $200.00 usd. With the Canadian dollar on a high right now prices in the USA are very attractive. Have them ship via US Post office as UPS/FedX charge usurious brokerage fees. Canada Post will charge at least $5.00 and maybe duties, but UPS/FedX charge $40.00 for customs clearance plus GST & duties. Have ordered over $700.00 worth of product from Amotostuff with absolutely no issues
Ordered from Amoto as well. The sump guard from Amoto is some work of heavy duty protection. Oil changes take 10 minutes longer but it is worth it. Bought into the whole thing, Suzuki C-stand, engine guard, hand guards, Givi V46 and E41's and soft insert bags, Nep T-Lock, Ventura light guard, Fenda Extenda. Just a few more things to sprinkle on the DL 650 and I'll be done.

Just completed a 5500 km shake down tour with the last day being 1150 kms. Now I have a better understanding of what else is needed for further extended trips.
marvin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome