Toronto moto repair shops - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Canadian Troopers For those up north!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-23-2007, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Try to stay out of Toronto as much as possible
Posts: 121
Toronto moto repair shops

Hey guys and gals,

Anyone here with any experiences of Motorcycle Superstore on River St., downtown Toronto?

It's the closest shop by far to me because I live downtown -- that I'm aware of. I was thinking of getting them to install some farkles and do oil changes. I live in a condo and have no tools so it's commercial ops, I'm afraid.

Also, if you have tips about a dependable shop, please post or send me a PM.

Thanks from new blue Wee owner. My first.

Wee-less in Toronto
Drifter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 05-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
The Shepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Barrie Ontario
Posts: 636
Ted at Rosey Toes comes very highly recommended by damn near anyone I've ever heard talk about him and his work. He's not right downtown but he is in the city.

Rosey Toes Motorcycles Inc - Service and Parts
131 Wendell, Toronto
Tel:416-241-2523


Post from www.gtamotorcycle.com

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ght=rosey+toes

Ian

'07 KLX250S - Road
'00 CBR600F4 - Track

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page" - St. Augustine
The Shepherd is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 05-23-2007, 12:48 PM
$tromtrooper
 
Heavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The gateway to Cottage Country, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,406
What farkles?

I have tools and a garage. If it isn't too much stuff, come on up to Barrie and put them on yourself. Its a good way to get to know your bike. Heck, bring oil and a filter and we can change the oil too.

DL1000K6
Proud to be a Road Toad...Member #5
Heavy is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 05-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
 
V-Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Port Perry, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,602
On the subject of oil changes; it is real easy to do yourself, and will give you a certain "bonding" feeling with your bike once you have done it.

I did my first several oil changes with a strap wrench to remove the filter and just got a proper oil-filter wrench. Last fall I picked up one of those oil change trays from Canadian tire.. that makes the change relatively spill resistant and provides an easy way to transport the oil for recycling.

I think you wil find that a lot of the farkels are best done yourself.. shop time can be very expensive for little fiddly things. You have a lot of help around you here if you need it.. just ask and I am sure you will get lots of offers!



..Tom


Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Hey guys and gals,

Anyone here with any experiences of Motorcycle Superstore on River St., downtown Toronto?

It's the closest shop by far to me because I live downtown -- that I'm aware of. I was thinking of getting them to install some farkles and do oil changes. I live in a condo and have no tools so it's commercial ops, I'm afraid.

Also, if you have tips about a dependable shop, please post or send me a PM.

Thanks from new blue Wee owner. My first.

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 195,000+ km, 121,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.


V-Tom is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 05-23-2007, 01:09 PM
$tromtrooper
 
Heavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The gateway to Cottage Country, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
On the subject of oil changes; it is real easy to do yourself, and will give you a certain "bonding" feeling with your bike once you have done it.

I think you wil find that a lot of the farkels are best done yourself.. shop time can be very expensive for little fiddly things. You have a lot of help around you here if you need it.. just ask and I am sure you will get lots of offers!
..Tom
The added benefit of doing-it-yourself is that, should something go wrong out on the road, you have a much better chance of solving the problem and continuing on.

DL1000K6
Proud to be a Road Toad...Member #5
Heavy is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 05-24-2007, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Try to stay out of Toronto as much as possible
Posts: 121
DIY may be the way

You guys are making way too much sense.

Heavy wrote:

Quote:
The added benefit of doing-it-yourself is that, should something go wrong out on the road, you have a much better chance of solving the problem and continuing on.
This may be the clincher. I'm churning this over in my head.

And may I add, that's a very generous offer, Heavy. Thanks and I will get back to you. The parts -- H&B crash bar, luggage rack and top case, and AMS skid pan -- are mostly on back order at AdvMotoStuff.

Wee-less in Toronto
Drifter is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 05-24-2007, 08:15 AM
$tromtrooper
 
Heavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The gateway to Cottage Country, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
And may I add, that's a very generous offer, Heavy. Thanks and I will get back to you. The parts -- H&B crash bar, luggage rack and top case, and AMS skid pan -- are mostly on back order at AdvMotoStuff.
Given your list, I'd say coming up to Barrie to install them would make sense. My lift would make the job a whole lot easier. Much better to work on it at eye level, rather than rolling around on the ground. Just make sure you buy a tube of blue Loctite too.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/produ...id=48&plid=153


DL1000K6
Proud to be a Road Toad...Member #5
Heavy is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 06-30-2007, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Try to stay out of Toronto as much as possible
Posts: 121
Thumbs up Thank you riders!

Everyone was telling me to install farkles myself and get to know the bike. Well I did. So just a note of thanks to those who urged me on. And I never had to buy a tool. The OEM bike tools and some found tools (like Allen keys) worked for everything. Did buy some basic shop stuff from Cdn Tire. And I will be borrowing a torque wrench set from a friend at work (Beemer rider) to check my work.

Of course, everything took more hours than it would now. But, hey, a real learning experience. The real test will be ongoing maintenance like chain cleaning and oiling. And . . .

I'm still left with recently arrived H&B crash bars and AMotostuff skid pan. Hope to get to that sooner rather than later.

chrs

Wee-less in Toronto
Drifter is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 07-01-2007, 12:36 PM
$tromtrooper
 
Night_Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: N 51.01.900 W 114.05.900
Posts: 1,187
Take Heavy up on his offer Avoid the service at the Superstore (they adjusted the chain on my friends 750 Shadow so much it was toast in 10,000km. As for Rosey Toes (aka Ted) he's the only person I would let work on my bikes. Tell him Night_Wolf says hello :mrgreen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Everyone was telling me to install farkles myself and get to know the bike. Well I did. So just a note of thanks to those who urged me on. And I never had to buy a tool. The OEM bike tools and some found tools (like Allen keys) worked for everything. Did buy some basic shop stuff from Cdn Tire. And I will be borrowing a torque wrench set from a friend at work (Beemer rider) to check my work.

Of course, everything took more hours than it would now. But, hey, a real learning experience. The real test will be ongoing maintenance like chain cleaning and oiling. And . . .

I'm still left with recently arrived H&B crash bars and AMotostuff skid pan. Hope to get to that sooner rather than later.

chrs

Type @ Ya'll Later
Night_Wolf



2007 DL650abs Wee Strom
VSRI 1083/MIG 2625
A Newfie & Damm Proud Of It
Night_Wolf is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 07-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 21
Another Vote for Self Oil Changes

I just got my 1st 'Strom last week, and did the oil change first thing.... Boy was that filter on tight! Two revolutions I suspect might be a bit much.... I couldn't budge it with my strap wrench (just a rubber strap) and I had a graphite/plastic type oil filter tool for my Shadow, but the end at the end just bent inside the socket. I had to drill a hole in the old filter, stab it with a screwdriver and uncrank it that way. Glad I didn't take it to Cycle World... With that much trouble it would have been a $300.00 bill.

Koob
koobly is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome