I have a few questions about the tappet recall.....
I've got an L2, just over 8,000kms.
- Would the damage be limited to just the tappets and camshafts? With low kms is it likely anything else would be affected?
- Has anyone had work done yet or heard anything further from their dealer?
- Will the whole motor need to be dropped to fix it, or can they just take the heads off while still in the frame?
- I'm about to do probably 1,500-2,000kms over christmas, should I avoid this until after it's fixed? (I don't use the bike as a daily commuter, just weekend fun)
- I've just finished putting crash bars/centre stand/bash plate on my bike, if the motor has to come out not sure if I should take them all off, or just leave them on there and let the dealer deal with it? What would you do?
I know I shouldn't worry about this as Suzuki will have to take care of it, but I'm quite particular about things, and not sure that I will have full trust that everything will be taken off and put back together perfectly. (I have no reason to doubt my dealer's work though)
I'll get in touch with my dealer this week, and I'll provide updates as I go.
Just phoned my dealer. Suzuki hasn't told the dealers yet so they don't have a VIN range to check. I know my cams were good at ~70,000k's because that's when *I* last checked clearances. The bike now has near 90,000k's.
What I decided to do was book mine in for a service, get them to check and adjust valve clearances - they found the recall on the govt. site so they know what to check - if it all looks good I'll just pay for the service, if there's damage the bike will probably sit there until Suzuki can deliver the replacement parts. The only reason I did that is that I have a 3000k trip planned for early in the new year and I'd rather not be wondering. I was going to do the valves myself, so this will cost me $ I wouldn't otherwise spend, but against that I'd rather not be wondering so it's worth it to *me*.
Unless there's serious damage, should be the same as a valve check, you can take the tank off, pull the radiator forward and do it in the frame.
IF this affected all bikes in the range then my ~90,000'ks and 70,000 without any sign of problems should be reassuring
. Your call there, but unless there's a long trip involved you should be fine.
Crash bars (Givi anyway) don't affect access.
My guess is that there are lot of parts need replacing and Suzuki Oz don't have those on hand at this point so there's no point in them sending the recall notices. Since the DL doesn't have tappets I'd guess improperly hardened shim buckets.