At the request of fellow Strommers, I have made a bolt-on bigger kickstand foot for the DL650 V-Strom. The design follows the typical requests. It is intended to work well
, be durable/problem free, blend into the design of the bike, and be cost efficient.
About the design decisions.
I attempted to avoid things that don't add value. I suspect/beleieve that a lot of what we see in what seem to be high priced items are included as way of justifying higher retail prices. Aluminum anodation, unecessary use of stainless, fancy shapes, etc, add flash, apparent product complexity, and appear to justify the higher prices, but often don't really add functional value. I have tried to eliminate this from the design.
1. Testing and experience has shown the aluminum works better than steel due to it's lower wieght. Experience has shown that at 1/4" thick wear will not be a problem. Additionally, for bikes that have been raised using raising links, UHMW plastic may work well to add another 1/2 inch to the kickstand.
2. Finish. Powdercoated black. Just like the stock kickstand. I have observed that people that bought stainless bolt on feet painted their's black after installation. I think it blends with the bike/looks a lot less obtusive this way.
3. The size of the foot. Big enought to support the bike in soft sand and small enough to not be ugly. It would be really easy to make a big ugly foot. It is a little more challenging to desigtn something big enough to work with the stock centerstand and also not be fugly. FYI, the size of the foot is slightly larger than the contact area of the bike's tires.
4. Thickness of the foot. 1/4" (6.35mm) Strommers have asked for a foot that also decreases the lean angle of the bike. the general opinion seems to be that the bike leans too far over on the kickstand.
5. The shape. As above, works with the centerstand and to avoid being fugly. Why no serated edges to grip boots? Bcause the rider's boot doesn't really contact the foot. Your boot engages the loop welded to the kickstand leg provided for that purpose. Serated edges appear to be a marketing ploy to justify $56 kickstand feet.
6. Hardware. Stainless steel bolts and washersmake sense here. It's a no brainer. Button head allen screws for low profile appearance.
7. Security. Both self locking bolts (pre-applied nylon patch) and stainless lock washers are included.
Price: $28 + postage. Orders can be processed through our website AdventureTech, LLC. - Home
Simple 2 minute bolt on installation
Will it fit the 2012 DL650? - Yes. The design has been updated for the 2012 DL650 as shown below. The difference is the angle at which the upper plate goes on the number of bolts. Please state the year of your bike when ordering, but the new four bolt plate fits all year DL650s.