StromTrooper banner

Brake Lights - improve daylight visibility?

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  antonyh 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 DL 650. Currently have a Givi E50 Top Box running an Admore LED50-T light kit. Visibility in the dark is great, but in bright sunlight, I don't think the drivers behind me can easily make out when the brake lights come on.

Any thoughts on increasing visibility? Will a modulator help? Or should I go with some super-bright LED strips? Any suggestions. Also, I leave my sidecases (suzuki factory) on all the time so have a lot of real estate to play with.

#4 ·
I just installed a Back-Off XP with a Eastern Beaver brake light harness. The Back-Off XP allows you to select between two flash/brake light patterns, and it works with LED lighting and incadecent bulbs.

The install is a breeze on a Glee, but should be pretty easy on a Wee also. The harness is optional, but without it you would have to tap into your factory wiring harness. I did not want to do that, but the harness also adds a connection point which could be a failure point.

I am planning to add aux tail lights or a top case soon.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

#9 ·
Hyperlites. Get the U32 kit with 16 LEDs per side. They work great.

3496 halogen dual filament bulbs replace the standard 1157 bulbs in the tail light and are somewhat brighter, cost about $10 each at autoparts stores (perhaps special order), and are long lived. Recommended, but these aren't as good as Hyperlites. 3497 clear turn signal bulbs are also recommended for brighter signals.

#11 ·
3496 halogen dual filament bulbs replace the standard 1157 bulbs in the tail light and are somewhat brighter, cost about $10 each at autoparts stores (perhaps special order), and are long lived.
I tried them and was unimpressed. Skene or Hyperlites are way brighter, but the Skene flickering thing is way cool. Saw it following another rider last year and had to have it.

#15 ·
Hi all i have found the led bulbs in the day light are not great as they just do not have the power or brillience of an ordinary bulb.
On the back of my bike i have a givi top box with the brake kit installed, 16 mini halogen bulbs, light up like a christmas tree.
Changed my stock rear light for a clear one with the standard typr 21/5 watt bulb, brillant ( no pun intended)...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.