StromTrooper banner

Damnit, I rode a 1200GS Adventure

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  TheIglu 
#1 ·
Spent another week down at Deal's Gap last week.

One of the riders in our group has a '07 1200GS Adventure. He hopped off it while we were waiting at a light in Pigeon Forge and decided to ride my Wee for a while. I climbed aboard and was shocked.

Sure, it's tall, and heavy, but MAN that is some nice supple suspension. Didn't even have the EAS, just the normal GS Adventure suspension.

Aside from putting a Suzuki sticker on a $21k motorcycle, is there any way to get the Wee suspension even close to that level of "cloud" like ride?

I've ridden and own bikes that have been fully sprung/valved for my weight, but this was like an old Lincoln Towncar for plushness. Sure, she swayed a bit on heavy braking and gas, but I'd take that any day for that level of 'float' over the rough stuff.

Anyone get that sort of result from modified emulators and a Elka?

Or do I just need to toss the budget Wee and shoot for the BMW?

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes with a bit of money the Vee can be made to handle very nicely. Allot of folks upgrade the front springs and add emulators, and put on a high end shock in the back. A Strom is never going to be a BMW "and that is good for many reasons", haven't you noticed how many ex GS riders ride Stroms now?

#3 ·
I agree coming from a Buell Uly and before that an 01 Goldwing, with Trax front suspension upgrade, i find the only weak spot for me on my Wee is the suspension. When and if I ever get the money, suspension upgrade for me, just don't know how soon that will be due to forced retirment.

#4 ·
I know I will have to drop the coin. I was already planning to do so anyways. Just wondering how good it will get.

Already did the fork springs. Emulators next, then Elka this winter.

After that, Russel Day long and some crash bars/skidplate.

Then hard luggage....

After all this, I'll STILL be under half the price of a used GS!

#5 ·
I know I will have to drop the coin. I was already planning to do so anyways. Just wondering how good it will get.
You can't match the GS suspension no matter how much money you spend. The BMW front end is completely unique and that's a lot of what make the GS ride special.

On the other hand, you won't have the high cost of maintenance that comes with owning a BMW. You can buy a new wee for the cost of parts and maintenance alone on the GS over its lifetime.

But... the R1200RGS is the only bike in the BMW stable that could tempt me to own another one. But I'd ride the new Triumph Adventure, Stelvio, Super Tenere first...

#6 ·
Front: Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 kit
AK-20 Axxion Cartridge Kit

Rear: Your pick of any top quality shock...Elka is one excellent choice. You'll want 3-way adjustability, low velocity compression damping, high velocity compression damping, and rebound damping.

#9 ·
How much is the AK-20 kit?

Anyone in New England want to be bought lunch one day who has one and an Elka so I can at least get a couple miles on the setup before dropping the coin? I'll let you ride your pick of my 4 registered bikes....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.