StromTrooper banner

12v Power Supply - Simple Install

11K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  swisstrom 
#1 ·
Got a super cheap 12v supply from Amazon

Does it just connect to the battery posts?

It has a fuse so is there anything I should worry about if it is installed that way?

I saw a lot of posts on what type to get but nothing on a simple install.

If you have links to share please do.

Your feedback is appreciated.

#2 ·
Do you want it switched so it only has power when the bike is on.

#3 ·
Is there any draw off the battery if it is not switched and nothing is plugged into the socket?

I just want the 12v to charge my phone/gps.

I would love it if the 12v would only be powered when ignition is on but if there is no draw with a direct to battery install then I'm fine with that.

Thanks,

#4 ·
It shouldn't draw any current if nothing is hooked up to it.

But I have a three-outlet power outlet hooked up directly to my battery that has an LED light to indicate that it has power, so it is drawing a small amount of juice, even when nothing it attached.

It has an SAE connector in the middle so I just disconnect it when I'm not using it. The plug also fits my Battery Tender, so I hook it up there, double duty! I got this one from Radio Shack.

#7 ·
Nothing wrong with putting it directly in. It'll be live all the time, but that's nothing to worry about unless someone comes by and decides to ... um . . . stand next to your bike and charge their cellphone? Although why they'd be walking around with a car charger.....

Or you can buy a cheap switch from radioshack or something and wire that in the line. I've got two outlets on my bike (so far), both live. One in the topcase, and one on the front next to the gauges.

Alexi

#8 ·
Lol - make sure you put a fuse in the fuse holder. I've heard the fuse is to protect the wiring, not the devices plugged into the socket.

I'm recently jazzed by the idea of running 5V USB chargers instead. You can get adaptors that plug into your 12V cig lighter which convert it to 1 or even 2 USB sockets. I use an iPhone, the charger is a USB plugged into a wall plug; my GPS is mini USB and will charge hooked up USB to my computer.

... so, smaller cables (no big 12V dongle on the end of them), and compactly charging both devices at the same time.

#10 · (Edited)
I have two 12 volt outlets on my bike; one is switched via a PC8 fusebox, and one is always hot. I've never had any issues with having a hot outlet on the bike all the time. The outlets came from an auto parts store, and are weatherproof. The aluminum brackets are homemade.

12 volt cigarette style outlets are a pain when you're riding, though (they vibrate loose too often) and I'm too cheap to buy Powerlets, so for my GPS I just decided to go the simple route and bought a 12 volt to 5 volt buck converter. It's small (only about 2" x 1" x 1.2"), so it tucks away just about anywhere, and it terminates in a mini USB plug that fits my GPS, cell phone. When not in use, the USB cable is secured to the accessory bar with a piece of velcro tape. The buck converter is wired to my PC8, but could just as easily be wired directly to a battery. I much prefer this solution to the clunky 12 volt cigarette lighter style ones.

The bike is a Super Tenere, but the buck converter would have worked as well on my old DL650; had I known about them back then, I'd have put one on.

Attachments

#11 ·
My preferred solution was double USB socket designed to fit to handlebar from which I can charge phone and GPS. I wired this to feed under right hand side of fairing (see threads), so feed goes with ignition. Seemed pointless to fit OEM socket although this comes included in my voyager package - odd to have socket out in the breeze on right hand side - why did Suzuki locate it there?
Quite a few people in this thread have wired up a hot socket and I was thinking of doing this under the seat for charging phones etc. My worry is flattening the battery. How much charge would it take from the battery to fully charge a phone from flat? Or an iPad?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.