StromTrooper banner

Thinking about a Wee.. but have questions

3K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  kitesurfer 
#1 ·
I am currently riding an ST1100 and am considering a Wee, but have questions:

1) Will I be disappointed or surprised with the power of the wee compared to my heavy, 100HP ST?
2) where is the best place to buy aftermarket parts, such as SW-Motech bars, ETC...?
3) is there a better years(s) of the Wee to consider?

Thanks for now!

Mike

#2 ·
I'm new, but will help where I can.

1) Don't know. I had an FJR for a few years, and the wee is not as powerful. It's half the engine size, and more than half the weight. Don't expect ST1100 passing power, cause it's not there. That being said, it's fun. It's more than enough for real world riding.

2) Twisted throttle has plenty (SW-motech distributor), but there are a few owners of vstroms that make their own stuff, and their stuff tends to be very good, well thought out, and very useful. I've only owned my bike for a week, but Rick Hughes and Yann make great products that seem to be (by every review I've ready so far) of great quality, useful, and won't break the bank.

3)They redid the wee for 2012, and I'd do some searching on this site for the differences. Big ones are it's a different engine (based off the gladius engine), better suspension, and apparantly better ABS. But do a lot of reading. And there's LOTS of it on this site.

#3 ·
Having only ever test ridden an ST1300 I can only conjecture.
The 650 doesn't have as much power, period. Its adequate but certainly no rocket. Truthfully though, I didn't think the 1300 was a rocket either though.
The other fellow nailed it well on parts. I got my sw motech crash bars from twisted throttel, the enduroguardian skid plate and oil cooler cover from Yann, and some electrical gew gaws from Eastern Beaver. The seat was redone by Rick Mayer, got the bracket for the windscreen from Madstad. Parts are everywhere.
as for which one I can only tell you what I did. I wanted to go as inexpensive as possible and the best deal going was the 2011 with factory bags for 199 extra.
In addition though my thinking is that the 04-11 strom has been around a long time. It is well proven, everything is out there for it. The '12 does have a different engine, carries slightly less fuel, supposedly has better suspension. When I added it all up I thought the '11 was better for my needs, at my size the suspension is likely to need some reworking regardless so that was a non issue and I like a fully proven model.
I doubt you can go wrong either way, just decide what you think best suits needs and pocketbook.

#4 ·
ST1100 to Wee...

I sold my ST1100 a few months ago. I thought the ST was a competent bike, and kind of boring...but then, I gave up peg dragging a couple years ago -

What I noticed immediately about the Wee was how much fun it was, especially on the secondary roads...I forgot about the difference in power within a minute and the smiles just kept coming. That said, YMMV....

fred t.
(63 Year Old Geezer)
Raymond, WA

"Washington state, if you don't like the weather, just wait five minutes...and, it will probably still be raining..."

'08 Wee (Coming Tuesday) ("No honey, I'm only looking at it...")
'91 ST1100 (Sold)
'57 BMW 500cc (Sold)
'05 Road Star 1700cc (Sold)
'04 Yamaha Venture (Sold - Top Heavy Pig)
'93 Goldwing 1500cc (Sold)
'02 Honda Aero 750cc (Sold)
Etc,

#5 ·
I have an '06 650 and '07 ST1300. If I were to sell one it would be the Strom. It is a fun, economical, reliable and comfortable ride and has been good to me for many, many smiles. It doesn't have the build quality, finish, power or protection of the ST though. And it's an apples and oranges thing too. I used to like apples more, now in my declining years it's oranges.

Bill

#6 ·
I just bought the 2012 VStrom 650. I did lots of test driving on other bikes though including: Harley Davidson heritage soft tail and sportster and road king, Honda 1300 VTX, Yamaha Vstar 650 and 1100, BMW GS 1200.

I compared my Wee with BMW F650 and Kawasaki KLR650. Wee is twin V and also 6 Speed.

I am very happy with my Wee as I am 5'9, 175, it fits very well and the flexibility is unbelievable. I've been on the highway at over 100 miles an hour comfortably, I have taken dirt roads up the sides of mountains. I commute every day on it. I like the feel of a cruiser , have never actually been on a sports touring bike (Kawasaki concourse, BMW GT 1200) so I have limited experience as comparison.

But in the end, I really love my bike. Works for me!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#7 ·
You're coming from a big heavy bike. I believe the biggest thing you'll like about the Wee (any year) is how EASY it is to ride. The engine is supremely useable, the handling is effortless, and it is a plain joy to ride. And, it looks better a bit dirty and dusty!

#8 ·
I am currently riding an ST1100 and am considering a Wee, but have questions:

1) Will I be disappointed or surprised with the power of the wee compared to my heavy, 100HP ST?/
According to MCN, the DL650 is 250 lbs lighter, has 42 ft lbs of torque compared to 71, and gets 48mpg compared to 38. Top speed is 115 compared to 132 for the ST1100.

The Dl650 is faster to 60mph - 3.98 s compared to 4.38, but the ST1100 does the quarter 0.05 seconds faster and has a 6mph higher trap speed.

HP/lb: DL650 1:7.6, ST1100 1:8.2.

But you have to ride it and decide. Spec sheet racing is not a great way to pick a bike. The riding position is much more upright, etc etc.

#9 ·
#10 ·
I myself have not had the chance to ride the ST, but my dad is a goldwing rider through and through, he has owned 4 and driven all across this great country and the USA. He took my WEE for a rip and when he came back he said that was the most fun he has had on a bike since he got his very first bike. He said there is enough power and comfort that he would without a question take it on one of his long term rambles.......as has been said before take one out for a rip....just my 2cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.