StromTrooper banner

NoVA Weekend Rides

Tags
nova washdc
5K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  pglc 
#1 · (Edited)
I figured I'd start a permanent thread here in the regional forum to post up any Northern Virginia area weekend rides that folks might want to organize so that we don't have to start a new thread every time. This way you can subscribe to this thread and easily check it to see if anyone's organizing a ride on any particular weekend.

Come on, let's get out and ride!

#2 ·
Reposted from my friend BluWolf on ADVRider. Hope some of you can make it!

** Oritingal Post **

Business travel and family vacations have kept me off the backroads for most of July. I am looking to lead another ride for this Sunday (7/29). The weather looks outstanding with temps starting out in the upper 60s and staying below 90. As usual, this will be a DS noob freindly pace with out any real technical sections, although I will probably look to do at least one water crossing depending on the group's confidence and the previous days rain totals.

Goal is to have everyone back in the Leesburg area around Noonish. I can't commit to lunch as I am flying out early Monday (again).

Invite any and all that may not see this note here.

Meet up:
Starbucks (the official start location of all Adventure rides;))
19353 Promenade Dr, Leesburg, VA(571) 333-4940Website

Time:
KSU 08:30 so set your arrival time by your coffee intake requirements
I will be there betwen 07:30 and 08:00

Pace:
Off road inexperienced (noob) friendly

Terrain:
Hard pack dirt and gravel roads. Some loose gravel in spots. Water crossing will depend on group skill level and willingness

Equipment:
No nobbies required. We are not going to hit anything that will require off-road tires. All of these roads can be done with street tires

Route:

TBD (but pretty similar to the last one)
I am open to other suggestions.

#5 ·
Sounds good! I've never been off the asphalt, but itching to try. See you about 8am.

Bruce

Reposted from my friend BluWolf on ADVRider. Hope some of you can make it!

** Oritingal Post **

most of July. I am looking to lead another ride for this Sunday (7/29). The
Meet up:

Starbucks (the official start location of all Adventure rides;))
19353 Promenade Dr, Leesburg, VA(571) 333-4940Website

Time:
KSU 08:30 so set your arrival time by your coffee intake requirements
I will be there betwen 07:30 and 08:00

Pace:
Off road inexperienced (noob) friendly

Terrain:
Hard pack dirt and gravel roads. Some loose gravel in spots. Water crossing will depend on group skill level and willingness

Equipment:
No nobbies required. We are not going to hit anything that will require off-road tires. All of these roads can be done with street tires

#3 ·
I'm game

Could those of us out in FRR (Front Royal way) rendezvous/join this ride w/out riding into Leesburg? Ping me back Cambion and anyone else if you want to get together before hand for example. I'll monitor the adv thread. I don't get on to the Stromtroopers much if ever. What was "the last one"?

#4 ·
Could those of us out in FRR (Front Royal way) rendezvous/join this ride w/out riding into Leesburg? Ping me back Cambion and anyone else if you want to get together before hand for example. I'll monitor the adv thread. I don't get on to the Stromtroopers much if ever. What was "the last one"?
That's a good question. I didn't bring my GPS last time so I don't have a track of that ride or I'd post a link to it. (I won't make that mistake this time.) It was mostly around horse country between Leesburg and Middleburg out around Oatlands and such. I suspect the water crossing that we're most likely to attempt would be the one on Jeb Stuart off Snickersville Trnpk. We've done that one before, it's pretty simple as long as it hasn't rained a lot in the previous day or two.

Hop on the ADV thread and post up there, BluWolf is leading so he'll be able to tell you where the best place to meet up might be.

If you can't make it to this one don't worry, there will be more! Or, post one up! Neither BluWolf or myself know the DS roads out by FRR. I generally just ride out that way for breakfast at the Applehouse. :) If you know good routes out there and want to lead a ride I'm sure folks would show up!

#7 ·
I'd be interested in points beyond FRR. Theres scores of routes I do - mostly technical twisty carving and curve chasing. Sunday is supposed to be a bit cooler as well. Markum Motorcycles is a good place to meet-up.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#10 ·
We had a nice ride this morning, hopefully everyone had a good time. We did a nice route through horse country including the water crossing at Beaver Dam Creek off Jeb Stuart. Sort of came apart at the end due to the route leader having to bail but we were just about finished up anyway. Hope everyone made it home safe and sound.

Don't forget to lube those chains guys!!

Hope to see you all on the next ride!

Allonsye,

If you want to run something next weekend I might be able to make it. (I signed up for a Yamaha Track Demo day for next Sunday but if they require a full one-piece leather suit I won't be going after all... I'm trying to find out still.)

#12 ·
I'm going to tentatively plan on the 5th. G/f (on 1150R) and me so far. All others welcome. Will be a 3 hr loop out of FRR to points west or SW.
allonsye,

I won't be able to join this weekend, but hopefully the next trip. I live in Linden and met up with the crew in Leesburg yesterday. It was a fun ride! At 6:30am I took 66 to 15 and it was about an hour... Great group of guys!

I have messaged with 5punksdad from ADVrider and he's in Front Royal...not a V owner, but is up for rides in the afternoon/evenings... You should hit him up too.

#16 ·
It's last minute but if anyone wants to ride tomorrow I'll be at the Starbucks in Lansdowne @ 8:30ish, kickstands up at 9am.

Starbucks:
19353 Promenade Dr, Leesburg, VA

Leisurely ride, probably do one of the common routes; Lime Kiln, Snickersville, through Middleburg then down 50 and over Blueridge Mtn Rd or something like that. Open to other suggestions in the mornings if anyone shows up.

#17 ·
Wish I could be there, but I can't make it.

#18 ·
I see a lot of posts about folks wanting to get together and ride sometime. Anyone actually doing it?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#19 ·
The ride last weekend went great! There were five of us and we had a really great ride and a good lunch out in Sheperdstown. Unfortunately no one from here showed up so it was just me representing the Strom crowd.

This weekend is looking like a wash for me due to other commitments (fortunately I got out for a few hours on the bike early this morning) but there might be a ride Monday morning for folks who aren't working. Check the NoVA weekend rides thread on ADV if you're interested.

I'd be willing to organize another ride for next Sunday (10/14) if anyone is interested. Just post up if you're interested and whether you're looking for strictly tarmac or a mix of dirt/gravel & tarmac.

#20 ·
Okay, who's up for an RTE this Sunday? Thinking Lansdowne Starbucks to Griffin Tavern, probably stick to tarmac but might reconsider depending on interest.

#21 ·
Nutz...already got a ride planned from Orange to Charlottesville and then up the Skyline.

#22 ·
Ok guys, last ride of 2012! You didn't "winterize" your bikes or anything silly like that did you?? Get your cold weather gear on and come out for a few hours!

Date:
Saturday, 12/29 (If the forecast is for rain, or worse, we might use 12/30 as a rain date.)

Time:
Flexible for now but likely KSU @ 10:00. Subject to change depending on interest.

Meet up:
Starbucks (Lansdowne Town Center)

Pace:
Normal/Relaxed but not parade pace.

Terrain:
All tarmac this time (unless interested folks really want to do something else).

Route:
TBD - Maybe out Lime Kiln to Snickersville and points South and West. Or perhaps up 15 and out towards the Brunswick area.

Post up if you're interested.

#25 ·
Right now the forecast for next Saturday is 70% chance of snow/rain mix. If the forecast doesn't improve we may have to postpone this. We'll see what the weatherman says come Wednesday or Thursday.

BTW - Who all is going to the IMS show?

#26 ·
I am in, just let me know the status as we get closer

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#28 ·
Ok, so the forecast for Saturday is not good so let's push this back one day to Sunday. As long as the roads are dry on Sunday I think we'll be okay but please check here before heading out just in case and obviously if the roads are covered in ice Sunday morning, we're not gonna go.

Updated info:

Date:
Sunday, 12/30

Time:
KSU @ 10:00am. I'll be there by 9:30 or so to have a cup of coffee.

Meet up:
Starbucks (Lansdowne Town Center)

Pace:
Normal/Relaxed but not parade pace.

Terrain:
All tarmac this time (unless interested folks really want to do something else).

Route:
TBD - Probably out Lime Kiln to Snickersville and points South and West. Or perhaps up 15 and out towards the Brunswick area.

#29 ·
I am still in for tomorrow, see everyone there

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#30 ·
Yeah! Looks like other than a little wind (and cold, duh) we should be in good shape for tomorrow! There will be another 4-5 people from ADVrider joining us (all friendly folks) as well so we'll have a good group.

Ed from ADV put together a good route so he's going to lead. I think most of us have ridden with him before; not sure if he'll be on his Strom or on his KLR though.

Get there a bit early if you want to enjoy a cup of coffee and shoot the shit a bit before we head out!

See you all tomorrow!

#33 ·
ADV RTE

Crossposting from ADV - Meet, Greet, Ride and Eat! Date TBD... - Page 94 - ADVrider

If you're planning on coming post up on the original ADV thread so they can get a headcount. (Last count was something like 29 people so far)

----- Original post -----

RTE - ORexpat bon voyage Sunday 1/13/13
ORexpat last local RTE

OK campers as you know,

ORexpat is loading up the trailer next week and self-deporting back to the Left coast.

So we better ride and eat soon. So...

SUNDAY Jan 13. Noon

at the Old Salem Resturant,

8366 West Main Street. Marshall, VA 20115 (540) 364 - 1563

Home

They have a big room in the back that will shield the children from inapproiate behavior.
I'd like to forward a head count, so bark if you think you can make it.
Dan said he would br there!

(crossposted)

#35 ·
Cambion,
Now that I have found this posting, I'll be glad to play.
Nice to see you this weekend.
Hope the ride back went well.

Ed
Hey Ed, thanks for leading us down there! That was a bit of an adventure with the thick fog there for awhile. Lots of fun and a great turn out to see Dan off plus the food was pretty good. I was impressed with how well they managed such a large group.

Marc and I did a fairly brisk pace back as both of us were running the meter low on the wife acceptance meter. Uneventful but fun in spite of being rushed. Would have liked to have been able to tool around down around Marshall or out towards Front Royal or something, maybe next time.

Hopefully you can help me to motivate our fellow NoVA Strom riders to get out more than once a year!!

#37 ·
Hey Steve!

Come out and join us on one of the next rides! Several of us commute daily throughout the year (though I must admit I drove the car this week... It's COLD even with heated gear!) and I'm sure we'll setup another group ride in the next couple weeks. (Or feel free to organize one!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.