StromTrooper banner

last minute trip to NC from Toronto - what to expect?

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  richw 
#1 ·
#3 ·
^^ X2. I rode my bike to work yesterday and the temps are horrible. As I type this in my office in Charlotte, it is 101*F with very high humidity. I can stand the heat, but not heat an humidity.

Mesh gear and lots o' water!

#4 ·
Nic,

You are riding what is referred to as an "Adventure Motorcycle".

Pack up, swing your leg over the seat and ride. Everything else will take care of itself. That's because it's an adventure.

Go discover, and explore. With your new experiences, you will be able to form your own opinions about "what is where", and "what it is like." It's those discoveries that matter; not someone else's opinion.

You are going to be fine. If there is a problem, someone is always there to help you out. ALWAYS!

Your posts mentions a "last minute trip". But, the trip isn't going to happen until next week sometime! As I type this, I am trying to decide if I am going to ride out to the tip of the Gaspé Peninsula, or ride up to Saguenay Fjord. I have been to both destinations SEVERAL times! I may not make my mind up until tomorrow morning when I hit the road! Where I go, doesn't matter. I just have to be back by Sunday evening.

That's the beauty of what we do; freedom to roam where we feel like going, (at a last minute's notice!)

B.L.

#5 ·
Black Lab's reply really resonated with me: my job is such that I'm lucky to get 48 hours' notice that I can take a road trip, and it's only a few times per year. With so little time to get away, and no time to prepare, I've forgone planning. If I found out I could go tomorrow, I'd throw some crap in a bag tonight and get whatever I forgot on the road... or do without.

The times I got skunked - running out of daylight, or crappy roads, or bad weather, or mechanical failure, etc. are the things I end up remembering most, and the most fondly. They are what make it an "adventure," they are the stories to tell.

#7 ·
Definitely need some good rain gear as we're getting some pretty serious afternoon storms right now. Otherwise mesh and plenty of fluids. Not much else you can do for this humidity.

#8 ·
#10 ·
It's a boring ride on the highway., except for the view in the mountains in W Virginia and even that is a boring road
Have money for tolls at Beckley.
WATCH YOUR SPEED ON HWY 19, enforcement there is unbelievable with no leeway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.