StromTrooper banner

To part-out my totaled 2012 or no?

3K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  BrianTRice 
#1 · (Edited)
So, my shiny new V-Strom 2012 Adventure model was struck two months ago by a 15-year-old unlicensed driver running a stop sign. The front end is too damaged to use and there's cosmetic damage along the right side.

The upside is that I have an offer/decision from the insurance company whether to take the full damage price or keep the bike less scrap value and part it out.

Any advice? I can't tell whether the market value would be worthwhile just yet. I can say for sure that the luggage with mounting is perfectly intact.

The bike had 3270 miles on her after six weeks of ownership; I had ridden down the Pacific coast into California and back to Seattle at least.

#5 ·
Seems to be it'd be a major PITA to break down a bike and sell every little nut and bolt.....as my grand-pappy always told me "take the sure bet".

Take the money and run. Who knows, you may find out from your insurance person where you could bid on the bike when it goes to a salvage auction....you might buy your old bike back for nuthin.

#6 ·
Depends, on how much they want for the you to keep the bike. If it was less then a 1000 I would keep the bike. I would rebuild it unless the frame is done.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app, while drinking a latte, eating a burger, driving through a school zone 20 mph over the speed limit with my feet on the wheel!

#7 ·
I'm leaving out the money amounts just to gauge the reaction independently. There's a slight inherent favor to one side but irrelevant to the general sense of what's worthwhile. It sounds like I should just take the one big check and walk away.

#15 ·
I totalled a BMW R1100RT and was very sorry I didn't keep it and part it out. If you have the time, space, patience and knowledge, and get a good settlement and a low price to "keep the carcass" I'd go for it. I could easily have sold the final drive and ABS modules on the beemer for more than the insurance company would have charged me to keep it. I estimate I could have made at least $2500-3000 after their cost of keeping it.

The 2012 Strom is so new that the market surely won't be flooded with used parts on 2012 specific items... Good for you if you're selling used parts!

#8 ·
I've parted out (3) zrx1100's in the last 10 years and found the parts go for a premium (at least on that bike) the first couple of years the bike was produced (in your case, the new 2012 model). Some of the items on the zrx were like "gold".........Guages, Radiators, swingarms.......as they got messed up first in a mishap and cost a small fortune to replace new.
I also parted out a 2005 Weestrom about 2 years ago and it was rather SLOW getting everything sold........I would not do it (vstrom) again. I had to give the swingarm and frame away.......plus I had parts leftover that never sold (which ended up being given away later also). The ZRX guys will take their bikes totally apart and attempt to modify every piece........not so with vstrom owners??

Someone (??) will end up with your crunched vstrom, and it will be parted out soon or later. Some of the Vstrom Dismantlers on Ebay are a joke.......asking $150 for a stock rear rack.......and other items where they look up new prices and ask half....or some other formula like that. Most have no idea what the demand is for a 2005 wiring harness (i.e. zero??), but still try to get big $$$ for one.

#9 ·
Generally you'll make more parting it out, but it depends on what your time is worth to you, and how you feel about doing a service to the Strom community. :)
By the latter I mean that I'm sure there's people on the forum that would love to have some of those parts. Wheels, luggage, motor, shock, bodywork...all would be gratefully bought by someone here.

#10 ·
I am interested in your exhaust from header to muffler and likely a few other parts.

PM me if interested.

#12 ·
It all comes down to price. If the cost to keep the wreck is cheap, then do it. You could sell the whole wreck to someone easily if it's cheap enough.

Or if you get a new bike, are all the parts you can take from the old bike and add onto the new bike (luggage etc) worth as much as they want for the wreck?

#14 ·
Take the luggage & rack off, then let them total it. Buy a new strom and put this luggage on it.

#16 ·
Get a settlement and buy a new bike! You should get a good settlement as the insurance company is liable for whatever driver is driving that vehicle, license or not! I was in the same boat in '84 when a woman without a drivers license hit me. I got a used (like new) 1977 trans am, AND a new bike out of the deal, mind you, I was also in intensive care for three weeks :(

#19 ·
Final Outcome

I accepted the full price and turned over the title and the de-farkled (aside from the retail ADV kit) today. I'll be buying a new ADV model today or tomorrow and installing the transferable farkles. :)

Thanks, all, for the suggestions/advice! I realized that my lifestyle doesn't have enough time for this as a project bike, and there are not enough parts available to perform the rebuild in the right time, and demand for the remaining valid parts will not ramp up for some time. One member contacted me about acquiring it, but they seemed to reach a similar conclusion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.