StromTrooper banner

Major adjustment on throttle cables

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  bobosmite 
#1 ·
Does anyone have advise or pictures of how to adjust the throttle cables at the lower end on a DL1000? It looks like the air box has to come out, but I wanted to see if there was some other way.

Also, is it possible to lubricate these cables? It keeps stretching and I don't have any more slack on the upper adustment.

#2 ·
Do not lube the cables. They are teflon lined. Lube causes problems.

#3 ·
Does anyone know a link where I can get a longer set of throttle cables for the DL1000? Or maybe it's more of a universal part that I can get from a custom shop or something. With the barbacks installed, I have no slack in the cable and I can't just keep tightening it more and more.

#6 ·
Try Barnett, I think they do custom cables.

http://www.barnettclutches.com/

Does anyone know a link where I can get a longer set of throttle cables for the DL1000? Or maybe it's more of a universal part that I can get from a custom shop or something. With the barbacks installed, I have no slack in the cable and I can't just keep tightening it more and more.

#4 ·
I am not aware of anyone who has had to change their cables, due to risers or new bars. I could very well be wrong.......I'll be corrected if I am.;) There is some decent slack for the cables, you should be able to adjust as needed. Do you have a service manual? If not, you need to get one.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info and links!

The problem I'm having is that with the bars pulled back, a hard right-hand turn stretches the throttle cables across the steering column. The outside of the cable (the sheath) is bolted down underneath the air box, so there's no give or flex in the sheath when it's pulled tight. The cables inside are stretching. When I tried to adjust the cable with the top adjustment, everything tightens up and turning the handlebars to the right becomes almost impossible. When I adjusted it the first time, I should have gotten under the airbox and given myself some more slack. At the time I didn't have a grasp on how it all works.

#8 · (Edited)
Am I looking at this right?

http://picasaweb.google.com/bobosmite/MotorcyclePics/photo#5024714959847504530

The locknuts for the lower adjustment are held in place by the gold-colored bracket? I don't see any way you can loosen the locknut to make the adjustment. Any ideas what I need to do here?

<edit> Believe it or not, when I printed the page from the manual, I could see the picture much better. The lock nut is on the underside of the gold-colored bracket, not on the top side. The way you adjust it is just like the adjustment on the top. You can reach the nuts through the triangle "hole" in the frame and it is a serious pain in the butt to do. I'm still not comfortable with the clearance across the steering column, it's tight. Maybe it's done stretching.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.