StromTrooper banner

farkles

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Bimjo 
#1 · (Edited)
I know these things have been beat to death but I am new to this site. I have been on sites of the FZ1 and the FJR1300 for almost 5 years. So the things you do here are done there just on different bikes. I have searched this and some other sites for extras but seeing farkles for the DL650 is new to me, I actually haven't picked it up yet. Instead of running this on the site, could any owners email me with info and reasons for one brand over another for like luggage, size of luggage, probably Givi and mounts for the luggage. Also risers, aux lighting, frame protectors/guards, skid plates or belly pans. Pretty much anything you have done to your bike and why. Pictures would be cool too. I would really appreciate your efforts. Thanks in advance, Mike in Fremont, Ca.

mikengracie@comcast.net

#2 ·
Heck, don't email, post up, I'd love to see it too!

#3 ·
OK we have a request to post up. I just wanted to see why people buy and do what they did. there is so much and so many parts its just overwhelming to make a decision not base upon hands on farkling.
I just want to do it right with the best items available at the time. Sometimes two things won't work together but after you buy one you are pretty well stuck. So I have learned to try and do it just once, its much cheaper this way.

#4 ·
As posted in the reviews thread, I really like the Caribou luggage setup for the strom. Not the lightest, not the biggest, but definitely the burliest, best designed, and stealthiest (when it's off).

The Givi trunks (E52 or 46) are generally considered to be indispensible. JCwhitney has a knock off version that a lot of people like, too.

#5 · (Edited)
I don't care for the looks of a top box on my Wee, especially when I'm not on a trip. I have used the following setup on four different bikes and this one has been to Ca and back twice. I took a $20. gym bag from Wal-mart with a good zipper and built a pvc frame inside of it with a slight lean back on the front of it. I put high density foan in the front pocket so I can lean back on it if I want to. Kinda like setting in a rocking chair. I use a set of adjustable stretchy straps that snap together and attach under the seat that I got from Road Gear. Got the rain cover from them as well. The whole setup cost me about $60. and works perfect for me. It's 20" long X 12" wide X 11" high.

#6 ·
I have added the Suzuki Tank Bra, SW Motec center stand, slightly larger diameter grips, and hand guards to my 650K5.
I like the look of the black bra on the red paint. The Motec Center stand gives me better stability when parking off road and comes in handy for chain maintenance. I picked it because other members on the thread thought it was sturdier than the Zuk OEM stand. I have no reason to say otherwise. It went on easy, is easy to put the bike up on and hasn't let me down yet. It also lets me take up less space when I park the bike in the garage by putting the bike vertical vice leaning. The grips, I forget which ones they are but they are slightly spongier than the stockers and as mentioned, slightly larger diameter.

#8 ·
When I bought my Wee I had the dealer install heated grips, hand guards, and a SW Motec center stand ( what they had in stock).

In the 2 months that I've had it I've added mirror extenders so I can actually see behind me and Hippo Hands 'cuz the tips of my middle fingers freeze otherwise. The bottom portion of the hand guards is too abbreviated for my taste and will get enlarged in the spring.

I haven't decided if I want to run hard luggage or not yet. If I do it'll probably be the Caribou system. I do plan to get the Caribou top case to carry my camera geat on the bike when it comes out.

Next up is a MadStad windshield bracket 'cuz quite frankly the stock shield sucks. Bar risers may follow, but I need to put more miles on the bike before I decide.

I also haven't decided if this is a street bike or a adventure bike so I don' tknow if I'm getting a set of lowers or a crashbar/skid plate combo. Again, until I get more miles on in warmer weather I really decide.

You're gonna love the Wee. Enjoy. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.