StromTrooper banner

$20 Top Box from Wal-Mart

5K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  BillJones270 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought I would just pass on some info on my newly added Pelican Cases and Top box. The Pelican cases were purchased for about $85 each from http://www.all-pelican-cases-4-less.com/detail_pelican_1550.html. They are the 1550 model and I have seen them on other sites for $150 each - of course shipping was about $15-20 per case. All and all, still a very good deal.

The Top Box was an even better deal and bought from Wal-Mart in the auto and truck dept. It is quite sturdy and has a ton of room. It is lockable with a separate pad lock. The cost was under $20 (twenty) - incredible. Of course, this is not an official motorcycle specific top box but for saving a few hundred dollars works almost as well. I have used it on one week long trip and was satisfied. It will probably be used only on trips where I need to carry camping gear. It seems to be quite rugged and is quite waterproof.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Holy $hit.

#6 ·
Good grief, that is huge........Hmmm ice, a twelve pack, yea it could work.

#8 ·
Why would you do that to a bike, reminds me of what the bikes in Vietnam look like when loaded down. Four to eight pigs, twelve chickens, fourteen ducks, two cords of wood and two or more people.

#11 ·
Top Box

The massive top box was just attached with the two screws that attach the original rack to the bike - plus a few large fender washers to distribute the load a bit. I'm not a big fan of top box's in general, but on extended trips I find it easier than several dry bags or whatever strapped to the rack. Also, it's lockable for those times I leave my bike unattended. I load the top box mainly with the lighter stuff like sleeping bags, air mattress, tents etc. The $20 top box only spends a week or two on the bike during the year-for those times I take extended trips. But for the price it is quite functional.

#21 ·
Will it fit two full face helmets?
It looks like you could fit two small children in that box! :D

I wonder what would happen if you turned it 90 degrees and mounted in line with the rider, covering the passenger section of the seat. It would be less of a drag and you'd have something to rest up against on long rides.

#14 ·
If the folks at Sporttour don't send my givi 52 topcase soon then I too may go this route. I wonder if this case comes 6 in wider? Then I would not need to get engine guards or sliders.

#20 ·
huge; adjective:

a huge battleship enormous, vast, immense, large, big, great, massive, colossal, prodigious, gigantic, gargantuan, mammoth, monumental; giant, towering, elephantine, mountainous, monstrous, titanic; epic, Herculean, Brobdingnagian; informal jumbo, mega, monster, king-size(d), economy-size(d), oversized, super-size(d), whopping, humongous, honking, hulking, astronomical, cosmic, ginormous. antonym tiny.

#26 ·
I didn't need that much room and didn't want to spend the BIG $$$$ for motorcycle specific cases, so I went to my local gun shop and bought a lockable 2-pistol case and bolted it to the rear rack.

Simple, cheap and effective.:)

Just another option.

-T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.