StromTrooper banner

Installing a Stebel & Fusebox

4K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  sweetcreek 
#1 ·
I'd like to install one of these horns. Been doing a little research and it appears that people have mounted them all over the bike. There is a bracket available from Pat Walsh for the left side which looks good. Any feed back from users?

Also, I would like to install this without cutting any wires, what harness do you recommend?

I need to install a fuse box and I haven't yet decided on type. There appear to be two popular types: Centec AP-2 & Blue Sea. What are the advantages of both?

Thanks,

#2 ·
You don't need to cut any wires to install a Stebel, they are completely self-contained. Unplug the factory horn and run those leads to the coil side of the relay that Stebel provides. Everything else is new wiring. Info on mine is Here.

I have a Blue Seas on my V-Strom and a Centech on my VFR. Both are good, either will work fine. The Blue Seas is larger and costs less. The lugs on it are larger than on the Centech.

My Centech is the new AP-2 which is split. It has three circuits on one buss and 2 on the other, 5 total. They can be wired so that all are switched or non-switched, or one side switched and the other side non-switched. It doesn't come with a relay though but they are available at any Radio Shack. I wired mine with part of them always on and part switched through a relay.

Either fuse box works fine. Seems like the Blue Seas has more circuits than the Centech but I didn't use all of them on mine.

#3 ·
+1 on the AP unit. I have the AP-1 which is active when the key is in the on position. You tie in a hot lead from the horn to the fuse box, then tie in the two horn leads from the factory horn, and the hot lead from the box you just ran to your new relay, then run a hot jumper from the relay and a ground from your grounding buse to the horn.
I made my own bracket.
http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26277

#10 · (Edited)
I separated the compressor from the plastic horn and mounted the two pieces in opposite sides of the DL1000's fairing. The compressor is upright, high in the right side of the fairing. The horn is low in the left side with its mouth pointing down and out. Seems to work OK. Pics are here Stebel Air Horn on DL1000 - a set on Flickr.

It helps to remove the plastic unless you're patient and have small hands with extra finger joints and a second set of elbows.

#11 · (Edited)
About mounting the Stebel Nautilus air horn--
--Pick a spot where it blasts drivers and not yourself.
--The horn can be separated from the compressor and connected with a piece of tubing. Both must be mounted in the usual upright position to keep from blowing them up if water gets inside.
--The Pat Walsh kit is good.

About wiring the Stebel Nautilus--
--The wires to the bike's stock horn activate the new relay.
--Some have found the Stebel-supplied relay to be unreliable. An identical Bosch or other good brand is easily available at auto parts stores.
--The electrical draw of the Nautilus might be too much for the switched part of the fuse panel if another high consumer, e. g. heated clothing, is running at the same time--it could blow the supply fuse to the panel. It is probably better to wire the Nautilus' relay to the battery with a fuse in the positive line.
--The Eastern Beaver kit is excellent. I'd suggest the dual-horn kit for future enhancements. I put a low-tone Freeway Blaster on the right side of my bike with the Nautilus on the left side. Excellent!

#13 ·
vibration

I lost one off another bike I own, bracket broke.
I now cut a short piece of fuel hose that will slip over the mounting bolt, put it beween the horn mount and whatever I'm bolting it to on the bike. I think it cuts down on vibration. Seems to help, I haven't lost anymore horns since I did that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.