StromTrooper banner

Time for new saddlebags

Tags
saddlebags
7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Scorch 
#1 ·
I've been using some nice firm textile saddlebags I have owned since 1987 or so (lol, I know how to get my money's worth!). They were originally Yamaha branded bags, I adhered a Suzuki patch over them Yamaha logo. They have been on several different bikes. After some years, they faded to grey and pink. A couple cans of black fabric spray from Hobby Lobby fixed that :biggrinjester:

Sunday a ghetto driver jumped a red light and clipped my V-Strom. It didn't knock me down, just bumped me sideways, but it ripped one of my 20 year old bags off. Now I was thinking, instead of getting out the Manly Sewing Kit and stitching a new strap on it, why not splurge and get some new bags!

Now, I like the look of the nice Givi had cases, but I would rather put the $700 into my IRA than blow it on some overpriced ABS, so I'm sticking with soft bags again.

I've narrowed it down to two candidates:
The First Gear Monza bags

or the Cycle Gear Cargo bags

Both are expandable, nice looking, and hold about the same capacity. Anyone using these bags? Feedback welcome!

See less See more
#2 ·
My Nelson-Riggs cushioned the rear of my Vee in last week's crash, and probably saved me their cost in parts--They came out pretty well also. I always check NewEnough.com and see if they have something I like, before I buy. They have a Firstgear set of saddlebags on closeout at the moment.

#3 ·
I've been happy with every piece of Firstgear equipment I've used. Also, I like the reflective (I'm assuming) patches on the FG bags.

#4 ·
I'm using the Cycle Gear bags and I like them very much. The color has faded a bit, so just like you I need to touch them up with some fabric paint. They are mounted on homemade side racks.

Mine are the Regular Touring bags not the Sport touring ones like you have pictured above. The capacity is the same though, 31L expandable to 40L. I also use a Cycle Gear Monster tail pack, expandable as well.

#5 ·
The Nelson Riggs look good, and they are good quality. I'm going for a sleeker style, and the FG or Cargo with their expandable feature allows me to have slim bags unless I really need to load them up.

Thanks for the pics, mudder, they look great. I will be getting the FG bags in today to have a look over. It's either them or the Cargo.

#6 ·
Next time I need soft bags, I'm going to save up a few pennies and get some Ortliebs -- they're basically dry bags like you'd use on a canoe trip made into panniers. Waterproof, tough as hell, and available in a nicely obnoxious bright yellow.

Ortlieb Dry Bag Saddlebags - Saddlebags - Seat, Tank & Tail Bags - Packing it in :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

Hmm... looks like Wolfman is making some bags like this too.
Wolfman Expedition Dry Saddlebags :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.