StromTrooper banner

A/C in your leathers !!!

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  realshelby 
#1 ·
Hey you guys think this has a chance of becoming something that can be used in motor cycle protective clothing ?

sunny sunshine its hot !!

#6 ·
I think it's only a matter of time before somebody comes up with an economical, efficient way of cooling riders. I was excited when I saw one that ran off the bike's electrical system and connected to the rider's gear with a hose. But that one's gone now too.

#8 ·
Larry Stonestreet wrote up a blurb about that type of cooling device in the BMW MOA magazine a few years ago. Told me it was a PITA and took valuable real estate on the seat that usually would be used for camping gear.
If you are worried about power consumption it may not be in your best interests.
Although the thought of cooling comfort when riding from St George Ut through the Virgin River Gorge to Mesquite Nv and the hot hammers of hell are pounding on you, it might be nifty!

#9 ·
Since we're sharing low-tech cooling solutions, I'll include mine.

In the morning before a hot day riding, I fill my Camelbak 1/2-3/4 full of ice (crushed or small cubes; not a solid block, for reasons that will be explained later). I then top it off with water. I stuff the Camelbak down the front of my riding jacket. Not only do I have cold water to drink for hours, I also get the cool bladder sitting against my chest for much of the day. If necessary, I can top it off with ice and water at just about any convenience store or restaurant.

In the event of a crash, the bladder would likely burst and disperse the ice water. Which is why I don't want a solid block of ice inside.

#12 ·
For hot conditions, I'm always torn between ATGATT vs eff it, I'm wearing a tee shirt and cutoffs. I have soaked my shirt and just put it on, as it dried, I cool down. Face mask up on my typical full face helmet. I also soak my head when off the bike and as the water evaporates, I cool down. I've never done that with helmet on because helmet would probably get musty, disgusting and ruined . I've often thought peltier effect clothing peltier clothes
could work, a little googling found some products from India, nothing mainstream as far as I can tell.

#13 ·
I have two ride buddies with that cooling system on their bikes. Just a lot of "stuff" on both you.and the bike IMHO. I just have a Kool Vest and carry an aluminum water bottle for refreshment/koolvest topup.
Even in TX summers, the kool vest is good for 3 hours and is easy to store in a gallon freezer ziploc bag. When it dries out, just resoak it and off you go.....?

#14 ·
I don't think these electric units will ever be practical. Too much airflow to deal with. Work fine in an ice chest to keep food and drinks cool. The electrical draw for one that would actually help would be very high.

I started with the Veskimo unit. They are now out of business. Now I have what amounts to a generic system. The ONLY actual cooling system that keeps you completely comfortable is the ice water circulating systems. I can ride in 100+ degree temps and never feel like I am getting hot. Yes, I know it is hot, but my core temp stays so low that I don't have sweat pouring off me or get to the " I just want out of this heat" feeling.

I am running a "cool shirt" with the tubes through it, with a cooler that holds 20+ lbs of ice. Small bilge pump and a bait well timer. Good for a fuel stop on the RT, about 250 miles or 3-4 hours. With some ice still in it. Plus I can put a bottle of water in it, and have ice water to drink at a rest stop! I could build this unit for about $300 or less.

Yes, it takes up room on my passenger seat. I still stack a dry bag on top of it. The cooling shirt is less obtrusive to wear than a cooling vest, and a LOT less to deal with! Priceless on long trips. Not worth the bother for under an hour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.