StromTrooper banner

Leaking injector sanity check

837 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Gert 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

About three weeks ago I purchased an 09 dl650, ran great no issues. Last week the temperature was well over 90 degrees, and my bike was parked in the sun for about 10 hours, leaving work I went to start the bike and it fired up but the second I gave it any gas it stalled. After sitting in the shade for about 20 minutes (is was in the evening so the air temp was also dropping) and dumping in a bottle of STP fuel treatment (I had just filled up and figured I might have gotten some bad gas) it ran normally.

Fast forward to last night, and I begin to hear a tapping noise which I first passed off as noise from a bad chain. But as time went on it was clearly coming from the front cylinder. I checked the sight glass and it was beyond full. Smelled the oil, and yep, gas.

So I suppose my question is, the most likely culprit would be a leaky injector correct? Is there a gas tank vent that might be clogged causing the pressure in the tank to force gas past the injector? Im hoping that if I swap in good injectors and change the oil I can at least get a few thousand more miles out of this engine before its toast.

Thanks for your help!

See less See more
#2 ·
What part of the world are you in ?

You should put that into your profile to get the best help

Different places can get slightly different fuel systems on their bikes.

Also remember every time your fuel pump primes it will produce pressure, if you have a leaking injector that pressure will flood fuel into the cylinder.

A good indicator of a leaking injector is the bike will require the throttle opened to start after a short stop as there will be excess fuel and a lack of oxygen in the cylinder.

#4 ·
I had leaking injectors. A $25 ultrasonic cleaner and $15 injector tester plus a rebuild kit and they are working great now.
You can also send them out to be rebuilt for not much.
It’s amazing how much material comes out of the injectors in the ultrasonic bath.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.