StromTrooper banner

What top case for two up?

18K views 42 replies 23 participants last post by  dajaha 
#1 ·
Picked up the new bike today. 2018 1000xt. Put around 90 miles on it. 25 of those with the wife. She is 5’6 and about 150 lbs. Within 5 min she said she doesn’t like not having a backrest. She is use to riding our Harley cvo road glide with top box.

So I have researched most the night on the forum and have confused myself. ?

Here is what I’m looking for...

Top box that will look good and not out of proportion with the bike.

She doesn’t want it to make her feel cramped or any closer to me. Prefer it not push her forward or make her lean forward. It would be great if we could fit 1 medium modular helmet and another xxl modular without being to big. Reference 1st comment on looking good with bike

It needs to work with future side cases.

I like the look of the Givi v47 tech top case, but didn’t know if it takes up passenger seat space or causes pillion to lean forward.

Also are there any differences in mounts? Givi vs Motech etc.

Appreciate feedback and direction.

I got a bit of a dog cussing for not having a top case. ?

See less See more
#2 ·
#4 ·
Whatever box You use, ensure that the plastic carrier is well braced from underneath because it is too flexible to support a top box that is being used and relied upon as a backrest. I have used a combination of a GIVI Strom-specific kit together with a very old small top box that has been used on many bikes. I tried others but the Wife settled on that set up as being the most comfortable.

Two pics attached.

Attachments

#7 ·
If you want to go cheaper but still functional and low profile, then a Pelican box is the answer. I do not have a pad on mine and the wife says it's comfortable,, but if she is going to ride long distance I would add a pad.

#8 ·
MacDoc don’t have any side cases, I’m starting from scratch with new bike.

One of previous bikes was a bmw 1200 gsa with Aluminium top box and side cases. I liked the loading from the top. I know Givi has the trekker series that loads from the top.

I’m going to start with top box and then get side cases later this summer.

I like the Shad and how it mounts to the bike, but should I be concerned of of how the top mount works with Shad set-up vs Givi that has the side brackets?

Shad vs Givi- does either have a benefit in giving passenger more room? Meaning does one sit farther back vs the other?

Am I over thinking this? ?

Just want to purchase once and cry once. Fear is I will get a top case and it will push her forward or cause her to lean forward.

Motorcycling was so much easier when I was single. ?

#10 · (Edited)
Luggage is important but I like Shad quality tho I have no arguments with Givi ...I think Shad a step up.
You are overthinking the top case.
This is really nice -expandible
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shad-sh59x-expandable-top-case?rrec=true

Side cases are another story...

I really like my Shad SH23 - they weigh nothing ( 3 lb each ) and the 3P mounting system is almost invisible when the cases are off.
This is what the 3p looks like on yours

The whole luggage on mine adds only 10 lb to the bike when not loaded - mounts and side cases and looks decent.

Yup - much easier solo >:)

46 L total might not be enough for you. Tho with a 48-50 L top case might be fine.

I was very pleased with the cost

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shad-sh23-side-cases

I think I was $400 US cases and rack.

Yours would be about $450 - rack and cases.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shad-3p-system-side-case-racks-suzuki-v-strom-1000-xt-2014-2018

I noticed Revzilla has a good deal on the SH35s $200 off.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shad-sh35-side-cases

BTW we had a top case rack on my kids bike and it was great for drying clothes or strapping on light stuff,

https://www.shad.co.uk/product/5141/top-box-luggage-rack

The kid always had socks etc drying

#11 ·
I have an 07 V with stock top/side cases.
My son rides with me and complained about how tight the top case made the ride.
So I fabricated a metal bracket and remounted the top case 2.5" to the rear of the bike.
One note: I noticed if you cannot remove the seat without removing the top case, then the top case is too far forward (especially for passengers).

#12 ·
I would worry about that pushing forward thing with most top boxes. I remember reading a long time ago of a guy who had to build a custom plate to hold his top box, just to satisfy his wife. I guess she was a little larger around the middle, or maybe he was larger around the middle, and she was getting a bit squished.

One idea is, add a Givi plate, then rig up some kind of back rest to it, so your wife can test it, before you buy any top box. Sort out the needed distance first. If you get a decent back rest, maybe you won't need the top box at all.

Next problem is, if you want to fit two helmets inside a top box, it is going to need to be a really large box. I doubt those shad boxes would fit an xxl and a medium at the same time, but I could be wrong. You might need to go to a 58l to fit everything.

#13 · (Edited)
I have the Shad SH48 top case with the pad kit and the Shad SH23 side cases. I built my own adapter plate and side braces for the rear rack. (absolutely, YES, add some bracing to the OEM rear rack because it's a flimsy thing.) In all, it's a pretty good set up.

My wife is 5-8 with long legs. She is not cramped with the rear case.

Keep in mind that even with the SH48 and backrest, your XT will not be comparable to a Goldwing or other nicely appointed bikes.

Here is what I like about my Shad top & side cases:
a- The Shad top case can be opened & latched without locking/unlocking the latch set. It can be locked only when I want.
b- The side cases are top loading, and very sturdy.
c- The Shad side rack mounting system is a very positive lock- much more secure than the Givi system which I had on my past 650.
d- The top of the Shad side cases are a little bit lower than the Givi cases.
e- The Shad side cases are supplied with an extra key lockset so that the top case will use the same key as the side cases.
f- The SH48 passenger pad set is the best I found when shopping.

On the downside, the Shad side case mount system is sort of a contraption where it mounts to the upper sides of the bike. The kit comes with fairly long spacers which cantilever the screws too far out. In the event of a tip over, parts could get bent. I should think of some better bracing maybe. Not sure if the Givi system is any better though.

Attachments

Reactions: Webfors
#15 ·
Bazooka Joe. Do you have any pics of additional bracing you put in? Thanks for the pic, it helps since we have same color of bike.

I like how the Givi mount has the side bracing. Will I have problems if I don’t do the additional bracing? Anyone?

Between the Shad 48 and the Givi 47, are my chances slim that I can get 1 medium modular and a xxl modular in there?

#20 ·
Imho if the top box is lightly loaded the standard carrier unbraced might be ok. When I first mounted a top box on the Strom carrier I tested the box mount by straining it against the mount and I was immediately surprised at the extent to which the carrier flexed. Long term over rough roads even lightly loaded I believe that carrier could eventually break. Under no circumstances would I carry a pillion who uses the topbox as a backrest without bracing. As such I believe braces should be employed either home made like Bazooka Joe's or branded.

#16 ·
You have to be careful in loading a top case ...that said I've owned several, overloaded them all and never had an issue with standard mounting brackets. The expandable Shad I think handles two helmets.

#17 · (Edited)
CaptainMorgan,

Sure- Here's some more pics to show how I did mine. My adapter plate is 1/8" aluminum and the side braces are also aluminum. Your connection to the side case mount will probably be different though.

I rode for a while without the side braces, but the rack is pretty flimsy and the case bounced quite a bit. I think at some time, the rack would eventually crack- the rack is only made of tough plastic.

Pretty sure you can get the helmets in there. I'll try tomorrow with a couple of XL full face helmets and report back with a picture.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

Reactions: Webfors
#18 ·
Bazooka Joe. Thanks for taking the time with the pics. Gives me a better idea of what would need to be to done to make it a solid set-up.

In a perfect world it would be nice to have the Givi mount with side braces (no fabrication needed) and then be able to use the Shad top case. I do like you set-up with all the Shad bags. I just need to figure out if I want to figure out where to get the aluminum brave work done.

Appreciate you checking on if two helmets will fit in top case.

#19 · (Edited)
I really think you are over thinking it...top cases are not designed for heavy loads and Shad engineers their fitments very well.
That's a solid rack on the Vstrom as well unlike some of the bikes like mine with no rack at all.

This is a really good top case for your requirement for two helmets....it expands and I think you'll find the Shad mounting system top notch.

Low profile when collapsed

then full open.

Case SH58X - Top Cases - Shad - Engineered for riding

I don't know about front to back adjustment ....you could email Shad support....they've been very good.

#22 ·
I have the Givi Outback Trekker setup and would not recommend it for 2up riding. The side cases sit up very high and to far forward, using up almost all of the available leg room, they dig into my wifes thighs. I wound up doing a custom setup to lower then and move them back but it's not worth the time/energy if you have not already purchased them. I'd go with the Shad setup, it's cheaper and better.

My top case is the 58L and I'm not using the side supports on it because I ordered the wrong one. They made a change to the 2018's and now the side support does not do anything so I didn't bother. The one I have is for the 2014-2016. No issues but I don't overload my top case either.

#25 ·
Lots of my rides are 2 up and I use the Shad 40 cargo so I can put light bulky stuff on top, very handy while out shopping.

I like the Shad because you don't need a key every time you want to open it unlike the Givi.

#30 ·
Lots of my rides are 2 up and I use the Shad 40 cargo so I can put light bulky stuff on top, very handy while out shopping.

I like the Shad because you don't need a key every time you want to open it unlike the Givi.
Can you use the lock cylinder provided by Suzuki that came with the bike with the shad top case. I'm thinking about going with the 39L top box.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

#26 ·
Have a look at the Coocase Astra 48 litre topbox.
Looks great with a silver lid and smoked lense.
A pillion backrest is available as an accessory (unless mounting the topbox to existing Ventura "L" bracket frames).
Great size and cheaper than a Givi topbox.
Cheers.

#28 ·
I have the Givi V47 tech case on my V2 along with the same aluminum mounting plate slipstream has pictured. The wife and I are both fairly "healthy", her at 5'8", me at 6'1" total weight approaching 400# combined weight, and she doesn't have a problem with the case. The first time she rode on this bike was last month when we went to Big Bend, and it was only a couple hours at a time. The optional backrest may slightly move the contact point forward a little, but I optioned mine without it because the wife doesn't ride with me very often, and she didn't say anything about not having one. My case will fit my full face and her 3/4 face just fine. We had gloves and jackets, so when we stopped for any amount of time, we would put my full face in the box (cause it's the most expensive to replace and has a Cardo unit) with gloves jacket, and we would hang here helmet on the bars.

#29 ·
CaptainMorgan70-

I tried putting some helmets in the SH48 today. I tried two XL helmets (Scorpion EXO 1100 XL and Shoei GT Air XL), and they do not fit at the same time. They almost fit, but not quite. I also tried the XL Shoei GT Air with a Medium Scorpion, and these two size helmets will fit. It's a little cozy, but the lid closes.

The big issue with fitting these particular brand & model XL helmets, is that they both have that little "duck tail" at the upper rear part of the helmet and this duck tail requires extra space.

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.