StromTrooper banner

Helmet Cam

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  tmcgee 
#1 ·
I watched a video taken by a helmet cam mounted on the windshield of a Nitrous Busa at 180 MPH and was pretty impressed. The camera was very stable considering the speed. The camera is called a GoPro Helmet Hero. Sells for about $300 and comes with several different mounts. The wind noise at that speed was minimal. You could hear the scream of the engine more than the wind as he wound it up through the gears.

Does anyone else have any experience with this set up. It looks pretty interesting to me. It is an HD camera with three different resolution settings.

Wayne

#3 · (Edited)
It's been around a long time, the HD version newer, I have one, as do many of my riding buds.

You can find them on sale for as los as $213 on the net, which is the best price I've seen for the Motorsports kit:

http://www.superbikesupply.com/mm5/...de=camera-gopro-01&Category_Code=camera-gopro

Video quality is really good...if you have lots of light. Audio Quality is so so.

A few gripes:

- No way to precisely compose the video, no LCD, no viewfinder. But...there's an LCD backpack option out later this month AND, if shooting in 720 mode, the focal view with that crazy wide angle lens see damn near anything.

- No way to charge or externally power while recording. They say you can, but in practice, it's not realistic. A USB cord can be plugged in, but once it's in the protective case, which all the mounts attach to, it cannot be accessed.

-Somewhat cryptic menus on the unit itself.....if you are not pretty sharp with remembering menu items and icons, this may not be for you. But....once you memorize the basics, you probably won't much with it too much anyway.

- Lastly, files are very large, so you need a relatively quick computer to play and certainly manipulate, if you have dreams of editing and getting more creative.

It's a great lil unit, can be a lot of fun, and can certainly capture some unique moments with a unique point of view.

There are thousand of youtube examples, as these have been pretty popular for a couple years now.

Take a look at the stunning examples on the GoPro website to see what they are capable of, in perfect conditions...pretty stunning!

#4 ·
-Somewhat cryptic menus on the unit itself.....if you are not pretty sharp with remembering menu items and icons, this may not be for you. But....once you memorize the basics, you probably won't much with it too much anyway.
I've been meaning to put a sticker or something on the case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.