StromTrooper banner

Raised My Forks 1"

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Big Boy 
#1 ·
Raised My Forks 1" and it responses to steering inputs much better :thumbup: Quicker steering!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
No problems on that front. The front does not bottom out. Lots of room to spare.

#5 ·
1" is alot to raise the forks. Realshelby is correct in questioning the amount. I have adjustable lowering links on my '14 1000, and lowered the bike 1". I also raised the forks, but just 1/4". Bike handles excellently. If the rear was not lowered, raising the forks 1" is a lot IMHO, but if it works for you...

#7 ·
I lowered the front of my Wee 10mm (0.39"), if it were not for the improvements I got from that change I doubt I would still be riding Strom's.

For me by speeding up the steering the bike went from OK to good, I then lifted the rear 1" and it moved from good to great.

#10 ·
I'm also thinking about raising the rear. However, I'm going to ride it for a while before making any additional adjustments.

Just for general reference - I just came off a Kawasaki ZRX1200 where I raised the forks 1" (lowered the front) and raised the rear 1/2". It was great. All I had to do was 'think' about turning the bike into corners and it was there!!!

Attachments

#11 ·
I’d be curious how the safety of the front drop can be determined, as accurately as possible. There have been various numbers offered on this forum over the years. 7/8” is the maximum I have seen mentioned, 21mm, 3/4”, 1/2”, 1/4” - it’s all come up. Probably depends on 1000 vs 650 and also supposedly whether the bike has ABS?
I lowered my 650 21mm and have not had a problem despite some really rough roads encountered, but this is not very scientific.

#12 ·
You can put a plastic cable tie around the inner fork tube, when the forks are compressed the tie will stay at the most compressed point so you will know just how much travel you are using this can then be used as a measurement point.

And yes the front ABS system is the first place to clash, so they cant be dropped as far as the non ABS bikes.

#14 ·
You can put a plastic cable tie around the inner fork tube, when the forks are compressed the tie will stay at the most compressed point so you will know just how much travel you are using this can then be used as a measurement point.

And yes the front ABS system is the first place to clash, so they cant be dropped as far as the non ABS bikes.
Great Idea :thumbup:

#13 ·
The gen 1 DL1000 has 6.3" of fork travel. That is measured from full extension. So to check clearance you can put the bike on the center stand and wieght the back to lift the front wheel. Then just measure the clearance.

It is not easy to actually achieve full fork compression on a V-Strom. You have to be riding fast on very rough terrain (e.g., Australian outback at 60 mph, or fast through moguls trying to play dirt bike) or just plain run into something (which kinda negates the worry about fork travel). Folks looking for tighter turning are generally not the type who ride fast "off road."

A fork brace will consume a little bit of the travel. Bt if you have one you can see that when checking teh clearance. Me personally I would check to see ho much theorhetical travel is left, but I expect many do not and never have a problem. And if you do it will either be a non-event kinda of thing just letting you know you ran out of travel, or the result of running into something, whch again kinda negates the worry about fork travel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.