StromTrooper banner

POR15 - Fuel Tank Rust Repair Kit

6K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  jeeves 
#1 · (Edited)
Back in the beginning of 2011, during a ride my bike started jerking and sputtering above 4500rpm.

Turned out that my high pressure filter was clogged.:|
I did the fuel flow check, connected a plastic hose from the fuel pump outlet, and put it in a measuring cup.

You need to do 3 full on-off contact cycles, and see how much gas you get in the measuring cup. With a fuel pump in good condition you should get 3-3.5dcl of fuel out. I barely got 1dcl.:| Removed the tank, and the fuel pump and saw that my tank was rusty inside.

I did the external filter bypass, and tried to get rid of the rust by electrolysis. It took a while, cleaned it up pretty good, but I knew it was not a permanent fix, because I didn't protect the inside with anything.

I searched the web, and found a few products that for sealing the tank. I got the best information from ADVRider forum, and after a few inquiries I got a friend to buy and bring me a POR15 Repair Kit from Germany. I live in Croatia, and could have ordered it myself, but the shipping cost was way to much.

The kit is for tanks up to 10l, 20l, and 40l. There is also a kit for car tanks up to 96l.

I bought the 40l kit, because I wasn't sure it would be enough for my 22l tank, but the 20l kit is more than enough.

Note:
Since 2011 the box and containers inside have changed.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
It's a 3 step process:

Cleaning out the tank from gasoline residues, and rust to a certain extent with Marine Clean.

Preping the tank with Metal Ready

Applying U.S Standard Fuel Tank Sealer

You also get a sponge brush for touching up, and a piece of cloth in case there are pinholes that need to be patched up.

The instructions that come in the box are quite good, and can also be found online.

Note:
For the whole process from start to finish I needed about 6 hours!

#3 · (Edited)
Into a empty tank you pour in Marine Clean and warm (not hot!) water in a 1:1 ratio.
Marine Clean is a alkaline solution.
Close up the openings on the tank and start mixing and shaking.
It's gonna foam up very quickly inside, and I must admit it was quite tiring shaking the tank for 20 or so minutes.
After that pour the liquid out and rinse the tank with tap water.

The tank didn't look any better after this first step and I was a bit worried.

#4 ·
Then you pour in Metal Ready. The tank doesn't have to be completely dry before this.
Metal Ready is a phosphate acid, blue colored liquid.
When poured in the tank has to be rotated every once in while, so it covers every part ,and between changing positions slightly splashed around.
It shouldn't be left inside the tank longer then 2 hours.

This looked much better.

#5 · (Edited)
Then pour the liquid out and thoroughly rinse the inside with warm water.

Before doing the last step (US Standard Fuel Tank Sealer) the tank has to be COMPLETELY dry inside.
The sealer interacts with water and in that case starts curing to fast.
I used a hair dryer to dry it up. Did it for about an hour and a half (probably overkill) and the tank was getting so hot that I turned off the heater on the hair dryer every now and then.

#6 ·
I then covered up the visible part of the tank with masking tape and duct tape (ran out of masking tape) because if the sealer is not cleaned of pretty soon you can't remove it later.

#7 ·
Now comes the last and most important step - the Sealer.

Luckily I asked on ADVRider forum about first hand experiences using this kit.
One of the members said that a 30l tank can be sealed with the 20l kit sealer, and that was good information, because I had the 40l kit, so I poured in only half the amount of sealer I had (about 250ml)

The tin must not be shaken!
It has to be stired until it's a uniform color.
In the begining it doesn't seem that such a small amount can cover the whole inside, but it's really thin and runny and has excellent coverage.

As soon as you pour it in you have to start turning the tank all around so it covers every part inside.
The tricky part was around the filler opening because I had a cork cap on it, but the biggest problem was getting the excess sealer out.
The opening for the fuel pump is not at the lowest point of the tank, so I had a small pool of sealer at the bottom.
This is were a small syringe and a piece of plastic tube come in handy.
I syphoned the excess out. It came out to about 150ml!

After it's done the tank has to dry for at least 96 hours before pouring gas back in.

Picture of the sealer still running down

#15 ·
s that pic in post #7 looking in from the lower opening back at the fuel inlet?

Wondering if the extended neck into the tank is removable at the filler opening.
Yes, the picture was taken from the lower opening, where the fuel pump is.
No, it's not possible to remove the extended neck.

#16 ·
Thank you for taking the time to document the treatment and longevity of the coating so well :)

Not may problems with Strom tanks but if there is a problem then this seems to be a good solution.
There were a significant amount of 1st gen, and some 2nd gen models that had rusty tank and fuel pump problems from owners on the Croatian V-Strom forum.
Could be bad quality gas or just leaving the tank mostly empty for longer periods of time.

#18 ·
I have the same issue with my DL650A 2012 - HP filter clogging and light rust in the tank - I've been putting off the rust repair and just doing manual backflow pressure to clean the HP filter about every 6 weeks weeks, which is annoying, but effective. I'll bite the bullet now and do the tank repair as your post shows clearly how effective it is.

#23 ·
I have used this product on 5 customers motorcycles, I truly give it 10/10, POR stands for Pour over Rust, great product and will continue to use it, great write up too.
On some bigger tanks, you can ask the dealer to order you the bigger tin, I used it on a Honda Shadow and the small tin didn't cover all the tank, so I went with the bigger tin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.