StromTrooper banner

650 v 1000

15K views 58 replies 23 participants last post by  Webfors 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

sorry for yet another thread for a 650 vs 1000 thread. I sadly have some issues with relating current threads with my situation.

I am riding a sv650x right now. So fairly similar to the v-strom 650 engine. I am doing some very rare 2-UP rides with my girlfriend and I think that the power is about just fine. It's not super fast but dftly. fast enough. We ride 2-UP very rarerly tho because of the sv650x's nature. I'm planning to switch over to a more travel oriented bike for 2-UP travelling with my girl. And, I don't want to waste any more money by buying a bike just to realize that I need something else just a year later (the sv650x is bought brand new in 2018).

Me and my girl weight around 190KG (380lb, i think?!) so we not very light. This concern paired with the fact that my sv650x is not really too slow for us BUT my fear of regret confuses me ALOT.

From a personal perspective I like the 650 XT from 2017+ the most. The look is just way better then the older v-stroms and especially the XT-variant makes it really cool looking imho. The 2017+ V-strom 1000 is very close to that but the details over all are cooler on the 650 XT.

Whatever, I am comfortable in a price range of about 7000 - 8000€. For that amount of money I have diffirent options.
Get a used V-Strom 650 (2012+) and save the rest of the money,
get a almost new/new V-Strom 650 XT (2017+),
get a used V-Strom 1000 (2014+) without curved ABS, not so nice look and with the known windshield issues or
get a V-strom 1000 XT (2017+) for about 2000€ over my comfortable price (more saving!) but with my pref. look, with corner ABS, good windshield solution.

The major question: 650 vs. 1000.
Better said a almost new 650 XT from 2017 or above vs. a used 1000 which i don't really like? Those Options are the most realistic right now.

Will I regret buying the v-strom 650 because I always want that little bit of more power? That 1sec of difference in going from 0 - 100 km/h (60mph)? The overall comfort of now switching gears as often as with a 650?
Or will I regret the 20kg(40lb) extra weight IF i bring it to the dirt one day or in the twisties?

The 2k€ more spent is forgotten fairly fast, all other "regrets" are always existent. I want to settle down with the bike and get it all equiped with accessiores, luggage, mods etc and don't want to feel the need of a new bike after just 12 months of riding it.

Therefore, 650 vs. 1000? And if 1000: is the 2017+ mode worth the 2k€ more? Just for the looks I would probably not want to spend 2 more grands, but with the corner ABS and other smaller advanteages?

See less See more
#2 ·
I ride two up all the time, more so than solo, 650 has plenty of power for me, close to 400 pounds with the two of us and gear, i would rather have ABS than not, the extra weight on the 1k is a little more than i want on the bad roads we ride, so if i was in your spot, a slightly used 2016 650 ABS is better than $2k more for a 1000, and i wouldn't trade the extra power for ABS, the 650 is way fast enough for two up, not near fast enough when i ride solo,,

#3 ·
You are already telling yourself the answer. Yes the 650's are just fine.

But on trips two up.....you are going to be weighed down even more with luggage contents. That eats into the power that is just fine otherwise. You will have to work the gearbox to merge or pass effectively.

I have done 800+ mile days on 650 V stroms. But I would prefer not to do that two up loaded with luggage. Yes it can be done.

The difference between a 2014+ DL 1000 touring two up will be substantial. It will have a MUCH more relaxed feel. They have MUCH better brakes ( see note above about extra weight....). Suspension is MUCH better. They really don't have much in the way of negatives compared to the 650.

While the cornering ABS would be nice, it would not keep me from buying a 2014-16 DL 1000. Windshield isn't an issue.

From how you write your post, I will tell you that there is no better choice in this price range for a bike that does everything very well. 2014+ DL 1000

#5 ·
Can't go wrong with either bike.

I have done about 340,000 km on the two DL650's I had and never felt a shortage of power on them. You just shift more and shifting the DL650 is a joy.

My weight has varied but plus or minus 240 lbs/109kg is the range.

I just turned over 161,000 km on my 2015 DL1000. As RealShelby mentioned above there are lots of reason to get the 2014+ DL1000. Brakes and suspension are the ones I notice the most. The clutch actuation is the weak spot on the DL1000 but not a show stopped to me.

..Tom

#6 · (Edited)
What he said^^^

I dont do off-road(on purpose), so if dirt is your thing the 650 would be better.
2 up, luggage, etc to me, the '14+ 1000 is the way to go. Once on it I doubt you'd notice the weight difference.
Windshield worries--fixed to my satisfaction replacing both the oem, then the oem Adventure windscreen with the '18 windscreen. Different shape and height, fits like it grew there, all for a measly $56.
I routinely get 45-50 mpg on a long trip at 75 mph, the 650 is better...but I dont sweat fuel economy when on my bike.
To me, the main thing is the instant torque at low-rpm. Downshifting to pass is purely optional. The 650's engine is a bit smoother, but by no means would I consider the 1000 engine rough.
I prefer the hydraulic clutch actuation of the 1000 over the 650's cable.

I have always tended to gravitate to "The Big Blocks" be it motorcycles are cars. As for the 1000's power and its delivery...I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. That also includes braking and suspension, especially if youre carrying another human being with you. If I had purchased the 650 instead of the 1000, I'd most likely be satisfied with my purchase. But I'd always have that nagging doubt of "Should I have gotten the 1000 instead?" That's not even a thought with what I have now.

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies.

The suespension thing: Is the V-Strom 650 from 2017 comparable to the V-Strom 1000?

And about the weight of the both bikes, I sat on a 650 at a dealer and it felt very light because it's not topheavy at all. How about the 1000? Afterall the 1000 feels exactly the same but I was not able to sit on one, which was freely movable yet (just a fixed to the ground one on a convention).

Is there a way to upgrade the beak of the 2014 model to look more like the 2017 one? :D

#8 · (Edited)
To the OP, the 2014+ 1000 sounds like what you need and what you've described. What gets lost in all of this is that the 1000 is only 40 pounds (19 Kilos) heavier than the 650. If, to use your words, you go to the dirt some day, will you regret that weight. In my opinion, you aren't going to be "throwing around" the 650 in the dirt. In my opinion, once you get to the weight level of a DL650 the extra weight of the DL1000 isn't going to make a difference. With either one, you will not be doing "true dirt bike" or "true dual sport" type maneuvers. I have the 650 XT and love it. I think you will be better off with the 1000. Good luck.

#18 ·
I'm going against the conventional wisdom but the 1000 is better in the dirt than the 650, my opinion of course.

Basing that on the Gen 2 650 (2012) I used to have and the Gen 2 1000 (2104) I have now. The weight is a wash they are both heavy pigs off road. The suspension though, the 1000 is much more composed off-road.

The 1000 soaks up washboard/small irregularities where the 650 is more lively but not in a good sense. The 650 is underdamped and springy feeling. I did have a emulator type cartridge in the forks of my 650 but it doesn't compare to a full up cartridge fork like the 1000.

Brakes too, the 1000 you can keep a finger or two on the lever and have a good progressive feel, the 650's front is numb in comparison. I had to be more conservative with the 650 as I couldn't get a feel for the edge of lock-up with it, if that makes sense!

Really the only negative I have with the transition from the 650 to the 1000 is gas mileage. 10 mpg less regardless on the 1000. Other than that though it's the superior bike.

#10 ·
Skyy223, the 1000 has radial-mounted front brake calipers and upside down front forks. Not comparable on either count.
I happen to like the beak--it's distinctive and I dont see it as I ride. Lots of BMWs out there with beaks, have ridden with them,and they dont comlain about it at all. If others dont like it...well, they dont have to look at it and didnt pay for it. But that's just me. I'm more of a function over form guy. If you honestly can't stand the look, then dont buy a '14-'17.
Your preferences, your money.
The 1000 engine is taching 1000rpm lower than the 650 at 70 mph--verified by riding with a 650 Vstrom friend of mine. Less tiring.
I bought my '14 DL1000 as a sport-tourer. For the multi-state rides Ive taken, it's been a tremendous dancing partner. I neverfelt it lacking in any way for my purposes. I grin every ride.

#12 ·
That is what i actually kinda knew already but also feared a bit. I need to spend more money in order to not feel this remorse.
The 2014 model seems to be fine, the 2017 XT got my heart tho, not only because of the slightly different (but imho alot better looking) beak but also because of the spoked wheels (esp. the golden ones on the yellow bike). The differences between 2014 and 2017 are not that big. As I've read it.

- New Motion Track Brake System; Absolutely nice to have. Really worth a thought.
- Newly shaped windscreen featuring height and angle adjustment; I'm not very tall and this is fixable with aftermarket parts anyway.
- New “Beak” design inspired by DR-BIG; just for the looks.
- Hand guards and engine under cowling protection now standard fitment; both are not very effective for harder offroading. Nice to have anyways.
- New Suzuki Easy Start System; Have it on the sv650x, I can live without it.
- New Low RPM Assist; Saved my bike from tiping over when i almost killed the engine in low revs in a very tight turn. Other then that, I can live without it. It's really cool tho.

That's it. Needs some thinking but I think the 2014 might be fine.

#14 ·
SKYY, That beak was mentioned when the '14 1000 came out, not particularly new. The '14+ has the height and angle adjustable screen. The original screen was pretty turbulent, the Adventure model screen(found it new in a box on E-Bay for $50) was better, still not quite there, but looked great. As I posted above, the '18 screen fits,, sits 1" further to the front, is 2" taller and has a cutout on the top edge, is otherwise shaped similar to the '14-'17, and is quiet enough for me. The Adventure model came with the handguards and lower cowl(along with rear luggage cases). Mine mistakenly came with the side cases, and I added the Suzuki oem handguards and lower cowl.
If you get a '14-'15 DL1000, make sure the updated ECU recall (No.2A74-US model, No. 2A75-California model) has been done, along with the wire harness campaigns No.2A53, 2A54, and 2A55. The ECU recall was to prevent engine stalling when decelerating to a stop.

#15 ·
SKYY, That beak was mentioned when the '14 1000 came out, not particularly new. The '14+ has the height and angle adjustable screen. The original screen was pretty turbulent, the Adventure model screen(found it new in a box on E-Bay for $50) was better, still not quite there, but looked great.
I never understood the need to get a different windshield on the 2014 to 2016 DL1000. Stock it wasn't bad and a Madstad Bracket means I can ride shield-up or the whole front of my modular up at any speed with no buffeting. I also use the same Mirror extenders I put on my 2006 DL650 back in 2006 and Mirrors that are close clones of Napoleon long stem mirrors I also used on that bike. I know everyone is different but it amazes me the effort (and $$$) that some put in and I don't see the issue

..Tom

#16 ·
I have a '17 650 and rarely ride 2 up. Last time I did with combined weight was over 400 and it wasn't pleasant. I felt like the clutch was getting too much of a workout when starting out. Once moving out of first, it was fine.

Used to ride a 2004 Concours and it had no issues from a clutch perspective for that weight. I don't have any experience, but i would imagine that the 1000 has a stronger clutch just due to more power and slightly more weight.

#17 ·
V-Tom, between various bikes Ive noticed that the variety in rider height, mirrors, and helmet all factor into noise.
I noticed my Nolan N104 was painfully loud on the left side while I was riding my ZRX1100. Then, when I got the DL1000, the same helmet was considerably quieter. The issue wasnt the helmet as I previously thought-it was the helmet/bike combination.
With the Vstrom, the oem screen was still louder than I liked. 6 months later I bought the Adventure screen, and it was an improvement. Then I saw the '18 DL1000 at the Chicago Motorcycle Show, noticed the changes in the windscreen over the oem screens, and asked the Suzuki service rep about it. He told me they took enough complaints about the wind noise to issue a new-design screen. As soon as the part# was available, I had the '18 screen on my bike a few days later. Even better! After 5 years of use, I replaced the Nolan N104 with the new N100-5 helmet. Even quieter! Now I'm happy.

#20 ·
Skyy,naturally as a 1000 owner I'm somewhat biased, but I'm not trying to sway you either way--it's YOUR decision. But before you jump...RIDE a DL650 with your gal on the back and see if you like it.
I have my friend's '99 SV650 in the garage waiting for my son to start riding. He bought the SV650 new, and Ive kept it new this whole time. He sold the SV to buy his '14 DL650, and they are totally different animals. The DL isnt slow, but the SV is quicker and faster by comparison. The DL is more stable and comfortable for long distance.--the previous 2 sentences are HIS words. Forget the looks--if you can--and ride both the 1000 and the 650 and make a determinaton on your requirements and how each bike meets them.

#26 ·
Test ride them both. My bet is you'll buy the 1000.
In 2017 I brought my '12 650 in to my local dealer for some work. They offered me a 1000 to ride for the few hours they'd be working on my bike. Two weeks later, I traded in the 650 on a brand new 2014 1000. Purchase price was $8000, with $5000 off that for my 650 (31,000 miles ). Net price $3000 for a brand new liter VStrom with 0 miles on it. No doubt, the 650 is a GREAT BIKE. Loved mine, but, for me, the liter bike topped even that! Good luck with your decision. Let us know! :)
Ride safe all.
gary

Reactions: Rich Odneal
#28 ·
Truthfully, the engine of either bike will prolly out-accelerate most cars and keep up with traffic at 75+ MPH, even two up. The biggest limitation of the 650 is that they are notoriously under-sprung, even for one rider over 170#. I can't speak to the 1000 since I haven't owned one. If you do pull the trigger on a 650--and it has it's own merits over the liter bike--the first thing you will need to do is upgrade the suspension with respect to springs and forks/shock. RaceTech is a good place to start.

#29 · (Edited)
Yearly insurance cost is really the only financial consideration, once the sunk cost of buying the bike is over with. Gas mileage difference is inconsequential. I pay $420 / year full coverage on the DL650. I got a quote for the DL1000 when I was shopping and they wanted almost $900. Displacement is the name of the insurance game.

That 400+ in savings per year buys a lot of gear, tires, lube and coffee. Fast forward 10 years and that's over $4000.

I haven't driven the new DL1000. I did test drive a 2014 and I found it a little rough around the edges, and a lot of engine vibration. When I got on the 2015 DL650 immediately after (I drove them back to back) it almost seamed boring... too smooth, so I bought the 650 on the spot :grin2:

#42 ·
Well insurance is a huge consideration do not forget the 1000 drinks a lot more gas plus it requires premium gas. It will also eat rear tires much quicker then the 650.

The 1000 is superior to the 650 in every possible way except for operating costs. It comes down to if the additional expense is worth it.

For 2up riding, get a different bike, the Vstrom 1000 isn't very comfortable for a passenger. The position of the muffler means the bags need to be mounted high cutting into leg room. The exception being the factory plastic bags, but they are tiny. Shad bags are tolerable, the Givi/Sw Motech luggage is awful.

#31 ·
I'm going to triple post... hopefully that's not against the rules :grin2:

Another consideration is warranty. Suzuki is giving away a 5 year warranty right now on '17. I got my DL650 for $7k plus tax with a 5 year warranty and a lifetime 10% discount at the dealer. Hard to pass up.

#33 ·
Sounds, to me, like you HAVE decided!! I agree, we only live once. To that I'll add another cliche` - This ain't a dress rehearsal! Whatever you ride.....
....Ride safe.
Gary

#34 ·
Another consideration is gas. Doesn't the DL1000 require 91 octane?

If so add 20 cents a litre (depending on station/location) and you're paying $4 per fill up more.

Average a fill up per week, that's $16 / month for 6 months out of the year, so another $96/year. That's almost a front E804 Shinko tire!

I guess if you really start nickel and dime'ing the cost differences, over ten years, with insurance, gas and the initial higher cost, you might be closer to 6 thousand. That buys a lot of quality gear!

However, it might be worth the difference if you test drive it and the torque addict in you comes out to play. Torque is addictive. I'll never have a car that doesn't have a turbo engine.

I can't imagine you would be unhappy wither either bike. I ride with my neighbours all the time. One has a 1800cc Goldwing, the other an RT1200. Don't recall ever feeling I needed more power when riding with them.

#35 ·
The sticker on my '14 DL1000 reads "Use Premium unleaded gasoline with minimum pump 90 octane"
I generally get 45-mpg, and if I can't afford to use what's recommended, I shouldnt even be riding a motorcycle.
$.20-$.30 ain't gonna stop me from having fun.
The extra cost in insurance for me is more than made up for by the immediate torque, comfort, and better braking and suspension. I happen to like the on-the-fly windshield rake adjustment and the height adjustment via allen wrench that the 1000 has.
I replaced tires with the oem-spec Bridgestone BattleWings, and couldnt be happier with their steering, handling, and stability characteristics. 7K miles on the originals, and I probably had 2 more to go. I might have gone with Michelin Pilot Roads, but I knew what I had with the BattleWings. Shinkos might be less expensive, but cheaper doesnt neccesarily mean better for my purposes. Not any more than more expensive means better.
Turbo cars...I'm on my 2nd. The 1st was a '79 Mustang TRX hatch with the 2.3L-4 carbureted turbo. Which I replaced once. I swore I'd never have another turbo-car. So now...I have a '19 Mazda CX-5 Signature. 2.5L turbo-4. 310 lb-ft torque at 2K rpm. Effortlessly quick. Like my Vstrom1000.

#36 ·
The extra cost in insurance for me is more than made up for by the immediate torque, comfort, and better braking and suspension.
Don't be so sure the 1000 insurance is more expensive. Unless the insurance companies put the latest generation DL 650 back into the category it was before, insurance for the DL 650 will cost more! Insurance for my 2012 DL 650 with the same coverage is more expensive than the insurance on my 2014 R 1200 RT BMW. More than the '14 Super Tenere. Burns my ass to think about that, but I found every insurance company was the same. I had a 2004 DL 650 at the same time when the 2012 was bought. Same coverage, the 2012 was well over twice as much money to insure! My 2003 DL 1000 was about the same as the '04 650, don't know what the newer DL 1000 would cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.