StromTrooper banner

2006 DL650 Naked Weight Loss with numbers !

25K views 56 replies 16 participants last post by  Yvon Nulpart 
#1 · (Edited)

Hi to all Stromtroopers ! this will be my first post ever and it will be interesting, i hope ;) ,

i Bought a well maintained dl650 2006 for some 2500$ with all paniers and rack to go in trip this summer, but i found that this pig was way too heavy to my taste , so i decided to wreck it apart and make a good winter project and share it with everyone :)

i will show you how i drop the weight from 491 lbs wet to 420 wet ( not finished yet )

i'm open to all idea's you can give me :grin2:

Attachments

See less See more
#31 ·
Almost new year ! :)

It was a real puzzle to find out a location to my license plate , but its not enough to stop me :grin2:, I also installed an aluminium bracket that will hold my brake / turn signal led strip, front turn signals are installed but not connected yet, thinking about an enduro / mx rear fender would be cool looking !

Attachments

#32 ·
Led brake and turn signal

Here it is, ! the famous brake / turn signal LED strip :smile2: with some electrical and shink action, this strip is bright and only cost 10$ on Amazon !

Attachments

#34 · (Edited)
Front wheel weight

Here's the front wheel weight along with some other things

Complete Front wheel with Shinko 804 dual disc and tire : 29lbs / 13kg

Calipers: 2lbs each / 0.9kg

Wheel axle 1lb / 0.45kg

Does anyone know how much does front dr650 wheel weights ? i've Googled a lot but not found what i've been searching for.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, as i plan to replace front-end and rear wheel for lighter components, i already have outer dr650 fork tubes in stock, and i already know i will loose a front disc by going spoked

From my search, front 110/80/19 shinko 804 tire weights 4.72 kg / 10.3 lbs so the complete wheel assy would weight about 18.7 lbs / 8.5 kg :grin2:

I did weight the bike last night with aprox. 10 liters of gas / 2 gallons , and it's at 407 lbs / 185 kg

Attachments

#36 ·
The super enduro Strom !

Here it is, The super enduro strom 420lbs wet, i managed to fabricate a lightweight aluminium rack, didn't like the look of the fender, i think this look much better and pratical

i've put some mitts on the handlebar so i will ride next week.

Already test rode last sunday and made a Youtube video " Petite balade Naked DL650 Vstrom " with acceleration test

There is a signifiant difference in the acceleration and it feel quicker, the bike will wheelie easy :grin2:

Attachments

#40 ·
Here it is, The super enduro strom 420lbs wet, i managed to fabricate a lightweight aluminium rack, didn't like the look of the fender, i think this look much better and pratical

i've put some mitts on the handlebar so i will ride next week.

Already test rode last sunday and made a Youtube video " Petite balade Naked DL650 Vstrom " with acceleration test

There is a signifiant difference in the acceleration and it feel quicker, the bike will wheelie easy :grin2:
The 15th should be above freezing all day! Looking forward to seeing some pics of this bike on the street. Looks great, you might need to extend your sidestand a bit more.

#42 ·
380 lbs ?!

Hi everyone , thanks for all your replys,

Glitch, your Strom build is incredible ! A lot of time an talent :)

what you did to bring the weight down to 380 lbs ??

I try to think what i can do more to drop even more weight, you still have the stock fuel tank and wheels that are pretty heavy.

Did you weight the bike on another balance to confirm the calibration ?

Thank you for your interest ! :)

#43 · (Edited)
Hi everyone , thanks for all your replys,

Glitch, your Strom build is incredible ! A lot of time an talent :)

what you did to bring the weight down to 380 lbs ??

I try to think what i can do more to drop even more weight, you still have the stock fuel tank and wheels that are pretty heavy.

Did you weight the bike on another balance to confirm the calibration ?

Thank you for your interest ! :)

The stock tank is NOT heavier than most other metal tanks (incl. fuel pump) or aftermarket plastic tanks (plus fuelpump) like the Acerbis or Safari tanks etc.

Same goes for the wheels....by the time one uses a wire wheel + tube+ tire you're a fraction below the weight of a cast wheel and tubeless.
In which case I rather prefer the tubeless as its an easier fix out there in the bush.
There's a mountain of myth and bullshit out there (mainly spread by those who haven't got the faintest idea nor any first-hand experience whatsoever)....but little side-by-side documentation and common sense.

No, I haven't re-weighed the bikes after their weigh-ins as I actually used the scales regularly weighing myself on them and comparing values to my regular local medical check-up values...they were certainly within 2-5lbs.? Maybe less.
The bike above was built #3 of a series of 4 Thinstroms....and yes, I coined the term...many years ago :)

Didn't make the "sensational" weight with the last one, but it's proven the best real-world dirt-capable DL of the 4 bikes built (2x DL1000 + 2x DL650)
https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-mongrel-the-last-hooray-of-the-original-thinstroms.684727/

Best mods of #4 were the re-routing of the front header pipe alongside the sump to gain ~45mm extra ground clearance + a Wilbers suspension package both ends plus the Ricor Intiminators up front.
No KTM, but bang-for-buck is off the scales. :)

#44 · (Edited)
Thank you

Thank you for the answer, look like your put a lot of time and effort in all your projects,

I also consider to buy a Dl1000 and make it lightweight, but for today i will ride a little :grin2:

i also thinked of rerouting the header pipes but man it need a lot of skills, thats why i will carefully read your thread and this will give me a lot of information

Thank you for making such good threads !:smile2:

AND for those who lives in QUEBEC and want to ride winter please visit this : https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/services-en-ligne/citoyens/obtenir-certificat-exemption-pneus-hiver/

this give you the right to ride 7 days without winter tires ( the only law that keep you off the road ) and for a maximum of 4 times per winter

#49 ·
There is a shot under the bike
And thats the last time it'll be that clean if you plan on using that rubber the way it was intended. I'd ad a little coverage under there to help stop the slingin mud and make clean up easier. Wouldn't add more than a couple oz.'s. Bike looks sharp though. Cheers

#47 ·
Just found this and I really like what you have done with your Wee. Why? Because I just did the same thing, picked up a insurance write off here on Vancouver Island, then removed all the broken plastic and then the headlight assembly which led to a rethink of this project.
Fixed the dents in the tank, repaint in Flat Black, repurposed the stock gauges, single LED headlight, LED turn signals, Leo Vince complete used exhaust, new fork seals, new rubber. Now to paint the front fender flat black and rewire the gauges
What an improvement. Ive owned Vstroms, SV650's but this is the best of both worlds, I call it FrankenStrom.
Im a "vintage" rider and know what i like and have been modifying cars and bikes for 50 years and don't plan on stopping just yet.

Attachments

#50 ·
Looking great! Good use of the sunny Saturday, after what happened yesterday, it may be the best day to ride this week.

#54 ·
Little update , Here's what it look like with a Dunlop D606 tube type without tube at 12 psi, pretty stiff tire, lots of grip,off road
Looks like you have changed your exhaust again as well?

#56 ·
Where are you off roading? I want to learn the trails in your area, the only trails I know are North of Montreal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.